• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dies for bolt gun in .260

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
I just bought a custom Match 595 Tikka in .260 and I was wondering if I should use the Forster dies that just bump the neck or full size the brass, with a custom honed neck of course. I have never loaded any 260 but lots of other caliber's. Thanks ! Mike

Re: Dies for bolt gun in .260

I personally would full length resize every time. I use a Redding S die with bushings. I have a Forester seating die that is excellent for the $$.

260rem is the same as any caliber to reload for.Full lenght dies will work fine,other prefer neck size dies only but you must bump the shoulder once brass gets hard to chamber.I prefer full length size dies.

I'm a big fan of the Redding Type S Bushing Dies for full length resizing. Perfect ammo everytime.

Runout on (Lapua) case, neck, and bullet ogive less than 1/2 of one thousandth (.0005). I use the Redding Micrometer seating Die.

I got my first .260 a couple of months ago, and I'm having good luck so far with the standard Forster Benchrest die set. I've looked for a Forster neck sizing die, but I don't think they make one.
My rifle has a short-necked chamber, so I've been watching brass length pretty close and trimming to length when needed.
I wish Forster would make a .260 neck die. It would cut down on the brass stretching, but I have zero complaints on the accuracy and functioning of ammo from the FL die.

I like the redding type S die, full length sizing every time. I am using 7-08 winchester brass necked down using the 260 die. I am shooting F-class 1000yd match and it seems to be pretty consistent. It tightens up just a tad on the 2nd loading.

I too will be loading in a month or so for a 260. I bought a Redding comp seater, body die and a Lee collet die. I use a similiar set up for my 308 bolt except I have a Forster micro seater. All 3 dies for my 308 were just about 100 bucks, a little more for the 260 as the Redding seater is more expensive than the Forster and you can't buy the collet die by itself anymore.

I was gifted a set of Hornady New Dimension .260 Rem dies and that's all I've ever used. The elliptical resizer ball akes necking up .243 brass easy. The seater dies has a sleeve that seems to help keep the bullet more concentric. I'm not crazy about the decapper collet adjustment, but it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Redding Type S bushing die and the Comp. seating die. </div></div>
+1 ... another note for Redding, they're made in the USA with USA steel. I make every effort to buy Made in America.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another note for Redding, they're made in the USA with USA steel. </div></div>

Which dies aren't made in USA?

Not being a smart a$$, just wanting to know.

Thanks for the reply's.I have a set of Redding dies for my 308. I like them but I have been using Forster custom honed dies for my 556 and I may get a set for the 260. I believe the top company's dies are made in the US. Thanks again. Mike

260dies003.jpg

This is what I use....made in the good old USA....Cortland, New York to be exact.

I had a Redding comp seating die that was leaving a slight ring and indentation on the ogive on 155gr scenars. I sent the die back with a bullet and they made a seating cone specific to that bullet and returned it within two weeks....no charge. An American company like that will get ALL of my business.

Another A+ for Redding. First class company. First class dies. I have been using there dies for over 20 years.

PGS posted what you need picture and all, that Redding set is the only way to go.

Redding wanted to charge me $15 to make a seating stem for my 223 dies. I am going to go with Forster, I have been treated very well and since I am military I get a hefty disc. Thanks ! Mike