• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dies in Rotary Tumbler?

atlsniper6.5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Marietta, GA
I am full of questions today.... I found some rusted up 30-06 dies in my Grandfather's garage. Anyone think it would hurt the dies/the tumbler if I ran them through my Rebel 17? I've got a couple other things showing some surface rust as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steel brush and WD40 would work a lot better and it wouldn"t contaminate all the media in your tumbler.
the outside of the dies is only for looks, if the inside is rust free you are good to go.
cheers.

It likely won't hurt the tumbler but it also won't do anything for the dies. You'll be much better off as leadbullet suggests by taking some a steel brush/steel wool and oil of some sort to them. To get the rust out of the inside chuck up a section of cleaning rod or wood dowel in a cordless drill and wrap some steel wool around it. Run it in the die for a few seconds with some oil.

phosphoric acid ,if properly diluted, is quite good to remove rust_ if the rust isn't deep, rinsed and treated with WD40 or Ballistol, it will let often a dull gray-black finish _ if scrubbed w. extra-fine steel wool,the blackening will go away_ ( used to clean the inside of old gas and oil tanks on my motorcycle_ (it will remove any form of bluing, by the way)

If it's a big name die, call them and ask if they will re-condition it. RCBS replaced one of mine for free.