• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dies out of spec. somehow?

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
I bought a set of redding dies. Came with a bullet seating die, FL size die, and Neck size die.

I've FL sized all my brass, trimmed, and chamfered the inside and out of the necks. But the stuff won't feed in my AR10. I can pull the charge handle and the bolt will close 90%. Maybe 1 out of every 15 will feed

AR10 is a brand new build with krieger barrel. Krieger set the headspace. The reloads drop into the chamber no problem, and I've tried some Sierra RN's and Barnes TTSX's all at different OALS. Brand new Federal soft point bullets feed and fire fine.These reloads feed just fine in my buddies Sig SSG.

Does this sound like an out of spec die problem or do I just need to shoot the gun a bit to get the barrel/bolt contact points worn in to smooth out the function. Or do I need to take some once fired brass and send it off to have a die cut for my gun?

Re: Dies out of spec. somehow?

Is the brass new or previously fired? If previously fired was it fired in this rifle?

It may be that your chamber is on the tight side of the sammi specs.

If new unfired brass sized with these dies functions well, then you may need a small based die for this rifle on your previously fired brass.

I am sure someone with more info will chime in here soon.
madd0c

Let me guess you followed the directions that came with your die set, buy a headspace Gage and use it to setup your FL die

Been in that exact situation with my Krieger barrelled AR308. Redding small base body die will correct this. It seems the other dies just dont get it squeezed down quite enough. Run the die down until your handle cams over and you'll find they will work just fine. Make sure after lubing your cases you let them air dry for a few minutes or they will most definitely stick in the die.

They cut that chamber tighter than most small base dies will size to. If you're only shooting brass that you fired from that rifle you wont have much problem if your regular dies are properly set up. It's when you shoot brass fired from something else that problems arise.

I know the dies are setup right. Brain(here on the board) showed me how.

the brass was all once fired that I bought on discount. I guess I need to go get me a small base die
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the dies are setup right. Brain(here on the board) showed me how. </div></div>

What TOOL did Brain use to set up the dies? That is as in "Measuuring tool"?

"I can pull the charge handle and the bolt will close 90%. "
Vs.
"The reloads drop into the chamber no problem,"

Huh?

Doubt there is any "problem" with the die specs. Buying a tightly chambered barrel for a gas gun can be a mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I can pull the charge handle and the bolt will close 90%. "
Vs.
"The reloads drop into the chamber no problem,"

</div></div>

If I drop a bullet into the chamber and drop the bolt onto it, no problem. If the bolt feeds the bullet into chamber from the magazine it will go 90%

By "bullet" I assume you mean the cartridge?

All dies can do is make cartridges that chamber. A feeding problem is from the rifle or magazine, but not the dies.