• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

?? diff. b/t savage 10 & 12 ??

cellular

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
I'm hopeing some of you can explain all the diferences between a 10 series, and 12 series savage bolt rifles. It may be alot to explain, so any links or articles that you know of that relate to what I'm asking would be appreciated.

I will say what I heard. I heard that the 12 has a trued action. Then I heard that theres no benefit, to the 12 anyway, because the bolt floats on the 10 series. I did try to call Savage twice, but they don't really know.

Also, if you know can give me a basic explanation, or any articles/videos that are somewhat basic, or have some diagrams to show/explain what trued action is, or floating bolt, it may help me , because I'm not sure. I'm very mechanicaly inclined, and worked in a machine shop a couple decades ago, so, I'm not totally green. thanks

12s are (mostly) stainless target/varmint actions. Some have wide open actions, some have ports. They (almost) all have heavy stainless barrels. 10 is just the baseline, could be a hunting rifle, could be a tactical rifle. (12 LRP is carbon steel action and barrel)

This is an old breakdown.

Nowadays they're moving back to calling everything a 110, because at the end of the day they are all just variants of the 110.

12s are (mostly) stainless target/varmint actions. Some have wide open actions, some have ports. They (almost) all have heavy stainless barrels. 10 is just the baseline, could be a hunting rifle, could be a tactical rifle. (12 LRP is carbon steel action and barrel)

This is an old breakdown.

Nowadays they're moving back to calling everything a 110, because at the end of the day they are all just variants of the 110.
[/Q

Thank you for the explanation and link.

They all built the same besides large shanks and target actions and some having target triggers.

They all built the same besides large shanks and target actions and some having target triggers.
Thanks for reply, well, if ones a target action, whats the other action called. Also, what would be the difference in the actions?

Some of the target actions are single feed and have 3 actions bolts.

Some with left feed and right ejection.

I think most target actions and many Magnum actions are large shank barrel models.

Oh man, I always forget about shank sizes when talking about this with people. Cellular, are there particular models you're looking at, or are you wondering in a general sense?

Oh man, I always forget about shank sizes when talking about this with people. Cellular, are there particular models you're looking at, or are you wondering in a general sense?
Good question. 1. I'd like to know in a general sense. 2. heres our delimna: already have 12vlp 26" ss flute (.308) #18470, but don't like the stock. Then I held another 308 at the store, it was either the old 10LE 24" w/ mc millan #18142, or the current 10FCP HS Precision 24" #18139, and I liked the feel of it so much better, that i wanted that stock for the 12vlp we have. But the stock alone was like 500-600 bucks plus, or so. So, we thought, well, we can buy the whole damn gun for double, so well just buy the current 10FCP HS in .308.

Well, right about the time we were gonna do that, we found out about the charecteristics of the 6.5 creedmore, and started thinking of getting that instead, as I believe, that is the same stock on the new 10 series 308. But they call it a 12 LRP #19137 in 6.5, and its a 26" the whole gun/barrel is carbon.

Now confused which to get. Dont like holding the stock of the 12vlp, and contemplating which to buy, b/t the 10FCP Precision , or the 12 LRP. Having a hard time making up mind, and figured if we knew the differences b/t the 10 and 12, it would help us on our decision

Good question. 1. I'd like to know in a general sense. 2. heres our delimna: already have 12vlp 26" ss flute (.308) #18470, but don't like the stock. Then I held another 308 at the store, it was either the old 10LE 24" w/ mc millan #18142, or the current 10FCP HS Precision 24" #18139, and I liked the feel of it so much better, that i wanted that stock for the 12vlp we have. But the stock alone was like 500-600 bucks plus, or so. So, we thought, well, we can buy the whole damn gun for double, so well just buy the current 10FCP HS in .308.

Well, right about the time we were gonna do that, we found out about the charecteristics of the 6.5 creedmore, and started thinking of getting that instead, as I believe, that is the same stock on the new 10 series 308. But they call it a 12 LRP #19137 in 6.5, and its a 26" the whole gun/barrel is carbon.

Now confused which to get. Dont like holding the stock of the 12vlp, and contemplating which to buy, b/t the 10FCP Precision , or the 12 LRP. Having a hard time making up mind, and figured if we knew the differences b/t the 10 and 12, it would help us on our decision

I have a 12lrp in 6.5 and let me tell you it's a shooter. The barrel is a bit heavy and the hs precision stock is a good starting point. I really enjoy shooting it and dont mind packing it around but it is barrel heavy so it takes some extra effort. If I had to choose again between the 10 and 12 I'd buy the 12. Spend another 400 for the oryx chassis afterwards and you've got an excellent piece of equipment with the right optic on it.

I have a 12lrp in 6.5 and let me tell you it's a shooter. The barrel is a bit heavy and the hs precision stock is a good starting point. I really enjoy shooting it and dont mind packing it around but it is barrel heavy so it takes some extra effort. If I had to choose again between the 10 and 12 I'd buy the 12. Spend another 400 for the oryx chassis afterwards and you've got an excellent piece of equipment with the right optic on it.

Thank you for your helpful reply. 400 dollars, is a affordable price. I could put that on the 12 series 308, i mentioned, and buy the 12lrp. Dilligaf, which model of oryx did you get for your 12 series? I looked at there website, and Ii dont think they have a phone number, and they list the savage chasis, w/ letters behind them, which I cant corrolate to what models they go to. Also, I read where the oryx chasis arent meant to be bed it. It said, you just drop gun in and tighten bolts. Do you agree w/ that, or how did you install yours? Also, did it effect your accuracy? thanks

Thank you for your helpful reply. 400 dollars, is a affordable price. I could put that on the 12 series 308, i mentioned, and buy the 12lrp. Dilligaf, which model of oryx did you get for your 12 series? I looked at there website, and Ii dont think they have a phone number, and they list the savage chasis, w/ letters behind them, which I cant corrolate to what models they go to. Also, I read where the oryx chasis arent meant to be bed it. It said, you just drop gun in and tighten bolts. Do you agree w/ that, or how did you install yours? Also, did it effect your accuracy? thanks

It's either sa or la. Sa is short action la is long action. I haven't ordered my chassis yet got a couple other irons in the fire at the moment but I would probably guess if they say there's no need to bed it there's no need. But it's also up to the end user to decide if they want to.

why thank you guys. The sa is on backorder, but I'm going to keep my eyes on it, as I think I might stick that on the 308 we already have, and then buy the 12rp, and maybe just keep the precision stock on it, unless we end up really liking the oryx. I've never held a gun mounted on a chasis like that, to me , I, wouldnt think it would feel enough like a gun to me. It'll probabaly have to take some getting used too