• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

difference between 210 and 210M

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
How much difference is there between the federal 210 and the 210M large rifle primer? I found some 210's but the m's are on backorder for a while. Is it going to screw me up to use the 210's in recipes that call for the m?

I'm going to be shooting them in my 260 with RL17 and H4350

Thanks Blake

Re: difference between 210 and 210M

supposedly no difference between them except another step in the QC process to make sure they are good to go.

Try CCI 200 or BR2, they seem to work better in my CKA and Toddacguy 260s, in my 308 the Chronograph said there was no difference, as did the target.

The difference between them is the employee making the “M” version has more experience and has shown more consistency in the end product, from each lot as well as lot to lot, than the employee making the standard primer.

Actually, if you want to talk better primers, skip the Feds and just get you some Wolf LRM and be done with it. :)

Thanks guys I'm going to see how these shoot and if I can't get them at .5 or below ill try somthing else

No difference in accuracy, velocity or ES/SD between the 210 and 210M in my rifles.

Same here, 210 and 210M have shown no difference to me.

I think to be able to tell, you would need to actually have a difference between the two primers AND have a shooter so consistant that the only thing causing a difference in accuracy is the primers... an indoor range would make this easier as well.

So far ive seen nothing that stands out between the two

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, if you want to talk better primers, skip the Feds and just get you some Wolf LRM and be done with it. :)
</div></div>

+1

The 210M have a greater pursance (Flash instensity) than the 210. If you use the 210 you probably notice lower velocites with those primers. CCI # 34 mil spec primers might get you closer to the Federal 210M's.

well ive got 2k of the m's on order with my uncle, but i want to start load development asap and he said it will be at least a month. So i found some 210's in a local shop (which is absolutely amazing around here)and Im going to try my first ladder test this weekend if i can find someone with some 123gr sierras in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 210M have a greater pursance (Flash instensity) than the 210. If you use the 210 you probably notice lower velocites with those primers. </div></div>

I don't. Exact same in my rifles in .308, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Hope this turns out. Excel file and made a .jpg file with the Ctrl+PrntScn function and a paint paste.

primers.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 210M have a greater pursance (Flash instensity) than the 210. If you use the 210 you probably notice lower velocites with those primers. CCI # 34 mil spec primers might get you closer to the Federal 210M's. </div></div>

I think you're mistaking the "M" to mean "magnum". In Federal's case, the "M" stands for "match-grade".

Federal's large rifle magnum primers are model numbers 215 and 215M respectively.

205 - small rifle
205M - small rifle match
210 - large rifle
210M - large rifle match
215 - large rifle magnum
215M - large rifle magnum match

I know the best way to grade out primers is let your gun do the talking. But, I have witnessed in several guns with several cartridges that swapping between standard and match primers yield significant changes. #1 Accuracy with groups cut in half in severay 308's and improved accuracy with 243, and same with 215's. #2 with lower ES and SD noted with the change in accuracy.

Having good insight about Federal, with local contacts the primers are different. The consistnecy of the operator is probably the biggest difference. But, they are subtle difference.