• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference in Brass

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
Question for the Gods.
what is the difference in Lake City brass.
From you typical Lake City, Lake City Match, and Lake City Long Range.
Looking more so for the 308 caseings, and how they compare to Lapua. Also which do you prefer.
Thanks in advance an I apologise if this has been covered already

Memo

Re: Difference in Brass

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is in these. I think the only difference between Match and LR is the Match has a cannelure around it to be visibly different. Other than that I'd guess a little tighter tolerance on the Match and LR over ball.

I also have a friend that shoots F Class and prefers the LR brass.

Keep in mind that while most brass is OK, there is nothing comparing to the Lapua, both with case to case consistency and strength. One case certainly sort and prep any brass, but if the rifle is capable of supreme accuarcy (custom rig) it will notice the difference in the brass.

thanks for the results.
The only onfo that I stumble across was that lacke city match was loaded with 168 grain Sierra's(which was not intended for combat use)it did have the ridges towards the base for night timeidentification, an was discountinued in 1995. the LR was loaded with 175 grain Sierra's, this round was intended for combat an designed for use with sniper rifle and DM rifles.
I have a bunch of the LR stuff an limited LC match. I'M gonna load some up an compare the results. Will post them.
I will be loading Lapua, LC LR and LC Match, all fired in my palma gun, Barnard action with 30" Bartlein barrel.

Memo

you also have to consider the weapon that each one of those gets fired in. regular lc brass gets fired in a m240g, mk-43, and the match from a bolt gun. chamber tolerances.

ok I think I get it now,Lake City brass = machine gun fired.
LC Match/LR DM an Bolt guns.
Although I could full length size, an remove the crimp in the machine gun brass an maybe anneal. to get it back to reliable brass?
the other stuff "should" just be Full Length an off course all trim to spec.
or am I missing something.

thanks

memo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok I think I get it now,Lake City brass = machine gun fired.
Although I could full length size, an remove the crimp in the machine gun brass an maybe anneal. to get it back to reliable brass?

thanks

memo </div></div>

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever fully prepped LC "machine gun brass" just to see how well they can get their loads to shoot with it? I realize it will never be Lapua, and most people would consider this a waste of time, but I wonder how much you would end up giving up at say 100 yards - 0.5 MOA? If anyone has experience on this, I'd be very interested.

Thanks,
Dave

Interested in this myself, have a bunch of lc brass laying around.

Check for stretch (bent paper clip and wipe from base up, if you feel a catch or lip pitch it) and load some up. Also not all ball is fired from machine guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok I think I get it now,Lake City brass = machine gun fired.

thanks

memo </div></div>

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever fully prepped LC "machine gun brass" just to see how well they can get their loads to shoot with it? I realize it will never be Lapua, and most people would consider this a waste of time, but I wonder how much you would end up giving up at say 100 yards - 0.5 MOA? If anyone has experience on this, I'd be very interested.

Thanks,
Dave </div></div>

I'm shooting once-fired LC '05 brass. I am getting good groups (sub-MOA when I am on my game) at 100 out of a 20" SPS Tactical. I tumble with stainless steel, remove crimps, FL size, load (currently testing 175 Berger VLD) and fire. No problems yet. Remember there's more to good groups than brass selection, most of all: Is the guy behind the rifle capable of .5" groups?

I have been loading this brass for a while and had a problem with it a while back. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...781#Post2287781

there is a little more to the inspection process than the paperclip that i have found allthough that is part of it. the case will show signs on the outside before the inside of the case. before out of 20 rds fired there were about 3 split cases i have since pulled apart and inspected all cases very time consuming and reloaded again fired about 60 rds and have yet to have a split case. as to the accuracy i am getting bout 1moa mabey a hair less with a 5 shot group @ 100yds.

i will see about getting some pictures up tonight of some cases that are showing signs on the outside of the case

edit. loading the cases with 43gr rl-15 and 175smk