• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference in Federal Bulk Box Color

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    What is the diffrerence, if any, between the 525 rnd Maroon box vs. the 525 rnd Blue box.

Wal-mart had the Maroon for about $14, passed on it, went to another local "farm store" and they wanted $24 for the blue box! I thought it was the same stuff. I left disgusted and didn't think to check the number. Went back to Wal-mart 4 days later and they were all out.

OH well, the only reason I looked in wally world is to see if they had Auto-Match. No Luck.

Not looking for any thing over standard velocity, but wanted to know what the difference might be.

Side note.
    At a local shop I found 6 boxes of CCI Pistol Match tonight $5 per 50. Everything else to be found is either Stingers, Shorts, or Shot. SHIT!

Re: Difference in Federal Bulk Box Color

$14 for the maroon box is not bad, you should have picked up a box or two for a rainy day.

I've got alittle for rainy days, it's the sunny days I'm wanting the standard velocity stuff for.

I've seen no difference in it and I have both on my shelf for rainy days. If you're concerned about it just dope both of them to check it. I started to do that for all the bulk ammo I have, I picked up whatever I could find in bulk at reasonable prices.

The maroon box is def 36gn rated at 1260fps

1gn2wj.jpg

If the blue box is 40 gr, than its either the standard velocity or high velocity "match grade" stuff. 710 and 510, if I remember correctly. the standard velo stuff is pretty darn good.

John

The blue box is 525 rounds of 36 grain that they say goes 1280 fps at the muzzle . It also shows a different drop at 100 yards (3.4 inches I believe) than the red box stuff . I havent chrono'd them as I have about 3K of the red box to plow through before I get to the blue stuff .

Get the red box whenever you can.
    I use it in my Ruger MkII pistols for plate matches, and for NRA Bullseye. It doesn't group as tightly as Super-X but I usually manage to shoot around 825 in the .22 stage with it. Another shooter manages around 850. It is reliable and accurate enough for most shooting.
    Several friends use, or used, the blue box stuff and don't get anything more out of it than I do the red box.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies, I will look closer next time and try to confirm exactly what they were. The price difference is what blew my mind the most.

I looked in my own stash and have a couple boxes that have been around for a few years. They are blue packaged 525 round value pack "Champion" 36gr copper plated HP 1280fps. Load No. 745.

Called the farm store, they are selling Load No. 745. Champion 525rd bulk pack, $23.99.
    I will probobly have to get the Maroon box at Walmart next time just to try it.

Side rant...
    Local gun shop is getting a little steep on prices. Wolf match extra is now $9.45. What's worse is 7.62x39 wolf classic(steel case) is now $11.00, Last time I bought some it was $6.00.
    It gets harder to support the independent guy when you feel like you might be getting screwed.

Ran the maroon box through my chronograph and got 1250 fps. Pretty close to advertisement. Didn't shoot that bad either.

Probably depends on what you shoot it in.
    The maroon/brown box is fine for action shooting with my buckmark or 10/22, but is terribly inaccurate in my bolt gun.
    The blue box load #745 is very accurate in the bolt gun inside 100 yards, have not tried it out farther. It however does not cycle my autos as well as the maroon/brown box load #750.

actually found some auto match at my local wally world today bought 2 boxes probally should have bought more. my savage mk II likes the federal gmm but I have not shot this stuff before, how does it compare to the gmm or some of the other lower velocity match stuff

Can't personnaly comment on the Auto match yet. It has gotten alot of good reviews as economical with good accuracy. I was going to run it in one of my rugers, now I'm waiting on a Model 41 to try the one box I have. Still looking for more just in case. Walmart does seem to be getting more ammo in general, but I have not even heard of them having Auto match lately.

I've had some success and some failure with Auto-match. The first box I bought had terrible flyers with my 10/22. So bad that you would know it was a flyer because it felt like a light load. I wrote Federal an e-mail and they had me ship back the remainder. Even went as far as to scan a couple targets I had showing the light load flyers. In return, they sent me two boxes of the stuff in the mail. The new stuff seems pretty good but it still gets the occasional flyer. I'm fairly happy with it though; can't expect match accuracy from bulk ammo. The local Wal-Mart here doesn't carry it but the one in Salem, OR does. I usually just grab a box when I'm down there for plinking. Compared to the 550 bulk maroon pack also at Wal-Mart it does shoot quite a bit more accurately.

Found CCI Standard Velocity Target in a blue box 500 for $21.99, and it shoots right alongside samesame as Fed maroon box Gold Medal Match in my reworked 10/22.

The most recent rework was to recontour the lower rear corner of the bolt (which affects the hammer resetting process) to a larger radius, which improved cycling and eliminated stovepiping with the standard velocity loads.

However, operation with high velocity loads was adversely affected. I am wondering if a bolt buffer might regain the functioning with higher velocity loads.

Greg

I've got three generations of packaging of the 550 round Federal bulk-pak from wallyworld. 36gr plated hp, 1280 fps on the newest and oldest. The maroon labeled box (middle in chronology) is labeled 1260 fps. It all shoots the same to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found CCI Standard Velocity Target in a blue box 500 for $21.99, and it shoots right alongside samesame as Fed maroon box Gold Medal Match in my reworked 10/22.

The most recent rework was to recontour the lower rear corner of the bolt (which affects the hammer resetting process) to a larger radius, which improved cycling and eliminated stovepiping with the standard velocity loads.

However, operation with high velocity loads was adversely affected. I am wondering if a bolt buffer might regain the functioning with higher velocity loads.

Greg</div></div>

I also did the radius on my 10/22 bolt, I put the buffer in when I reassembled the rifle. It just made sense that with the reduced resistance and the slight reduction in wieght it would increase the bolt speed. Reliability with standard velocity ammo has been much improved, bulk ammo runs just fine also.

I have heard that the manufacturers have different quality standards for the big box stores. EXAMPLE: BLUE BOX RED BOX etc etc. Walmart Cabelas etc etc in order to keep the cost down... I DONT KNOW HOW TRUE THAT IS. Kinda like Kellogs Cereal or Sams club brand. Just food for thought...