• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference in Primers

svt_tactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2010
North Carolina
Does anyone here have much experience comparing primers side by side. Particularly interested in what difference you see in using say a small rifle primer vs a small rifle magnum vs a small rifle benchrest primer. I am loading for a 6.5 Grendel and have a pretty good load using BR primers but wonder if I'd see a difference going to magnum or standard. I know some are primer cups are harder than others but I am looking more for the effects downrange.

Re: Difference in Primers

My chronograph tells me there is no difference in plano CCI 200 and CCI BR2, and the same can be said of Fed 210 and Fed 210m, but my wallet sure can tell a differnce, as for the mag primers IDK, I have never reloaded for magnum.

I've done lots of testing between the benchrest primers. Most of the time velocity variations are small and accuracy is not really affected.

Thats what i wanted to know guys thanks. i didn't think i needed to try something else just sticking with what i have and use already.

i accendetally tried large rifle primers in place of large rifle magnum primers in a 7mm once. i believe i was using h414 powder i cant remember, but i got hangfires or no fires unles the powder was at the back of the case

I will typically do my load developement with non-match primers, then switch to (same brand) match primers at the end. I do this to see if there's any real difference, and it also saves maybe a buck or two in the process. If there were flyers before, there usually aren't after, but basic main groups size seldoms varies. Very often I find that the non-match primers are completely adequate for my needs.

I like to keep one brand and one type for all small rifle primers that I do and one size and brand for large. Same for powder, try to keep as few as possible to make for less confussion and accidentally using the wrong powder. The fact that I wont likely see a difference is good news to me.