• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference in quality between gun sold by local gun store vs online

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I'm looking at buying a new rifle and I looked at a large online retailer. I won't mention names because if I do, I might break some forum rule. Anyway, this online store is selling the rifle at interest for around $800. I've called 3 local gun stores and the price they're quoting is anywhere from $50 to $150 more than the online store. The woman I spoke to at one of the local store advised me that I might unknowingly be buying a demo rifle.

Whether I'm buying a demo or not is yet to be determined. But is the quality of guns sold from large online retailers different, if at all, from stuff you buy when ordered through a LGS?

Unless it’s listed as “demo”.... it’s not a demo.... at least if you are buying from a reputable dealer.

Guns purchased new online are the exact same guns being sold new in shops..... manufacturers generally don’t have different grade guns being sold under the same name.

The reason guns in stores are more expensive is because brick and mortar stores generally have more overhead costs than online retailers

Same equipment, just a different store. If it's a demo, they better state so!

No reputable dealer would sell a piece of gear "used" or as a demo without stating so though. Local is nice, but sales tax and the brick and mortar markup is going to be included.

While not a huge difference, usually gun shop prices include the fee for the FFL transfer/NICS check.
Many guns purchased online will have shipping costs to your FFL and your FFL will charge you a fee (usually $20 or $25). So you might not be saving much by buying online.......especially if the online retailer is also charging sales tax.

I’ve bought a lot of guns online because it was a smoking deal. I’ve also bought a lot of guns locally because it was the same price or only slightly more expensive to buy local and support a local business. I can’t tell you what to do with your money, but $50 more isn’t much considering you’re supporting a local business (assuming you aren’t talking about Bass Pro Shops, Academy Sports, or anything like that) and you get the firearm “instantly” and don’t have to wait a few days for it to ship to your FFL.

Don’t worry about the “demo” thing. Most any reputable online retailer will tell you if it is used/fired.

Just food for thought.

Local gun stores NEED OUR SUPPORT.

Most retailers need to make at least 50%, but typically its at least keystone to stay in business.

Wages
Taxes
Insurance - Medical, building. liability,etc
Rent
Utilities
Local licenses
state license
CPA
Accounting software
POS Software
3% credit card fee charged by vendor and citi/ mastercard

Many mom and pop gun shops make $75-$150 on an $800 rifle

They goes out of business as we mail order our scopes, ammo, primers, powder.....

Local gun stores NEED OUR SUPPORT.

Most retailers need to make at least 50%, but typically its at least keystone to stay in business.

Wages
Taxes
Insurance - Medical, building. liability,etc
Rent
Utilities
Local licenses
state license
CPA
Accounting software
POS Software
3% credit card fee charged by vendor and citi/ mastercard

Many mom and pop gun shops make $75-$150 on an $800 rifle

They goes out of business as we mail order our scopes, ammo, primers, powder.....

I totally agree!

What they need to NOT do is hire every trigger-happy former Burger King employee that they can find that just want to sell you a Five-seven for EDC because it's "cool".

Also inventory costs, implications I forget about tax on what's in stock, literally having to make room etc.

So, I bought online recently /through/ my LGS. Sorta, kinda direct from the distributor, but goes to the local store automatically. Checked and buying from the counter would have been $100 more for all this stuff.

So, you can often do /both/. Save money online, support the LGS. Check their website, many are adding this ecommerce stuff to it.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
I deliberately buy/have bought all my guns through the LGS, I need them to stay in business, even if it costs more. I do my research online, print the add, and ask the LGS owner to order it for me.

Actually, they have always undersold the ad; but I'm doing it because I want the business to go through them. I've told them point blank that I have no problem paying full price, it has to go somewhere, I'd rather it went to them.

Other stuff, I buy off the Internet, but not the guns.

Greg

Some distributors sell guns that are a little different than the typ model XYZ. There could be more or less features and they'll be advertised as "Sports South exclusive", Bud's exclusive", etc. I doubt that's the case here.

Reactions: shoobe01
The local store I visit pretty much every weekend generally is similar or better than most online orders for new and on most stuff shipping / transfer fees make up what the tax would be.

Some stuff they don't have and I have to order in & they then just make the money off the transfer fee.

What they do have a booming business in is Consignment used/new items. It's a win-win for everyone, as they get to more than double their stock of items at no cost to them as well as have unique and interesting stuff to keep customers coming back. They take 15% of the sale and cut you a check.

It's actually quite convenient, as if you decide you are bored with something, you can drop it off & they will take care of selling it at usually better than online prices and then let you know when you have a check so you can put the money back into your bank for buying the next gun you want to try. No dealing with all the hassles that a lot of online private buyers cause & usually you come out similar in cash in pocket.

It also keeps regular customers coming back week after week to see if any new cool stuff got put on consignment & pick up checks. So it increases the foot traffic quite a lot. You want to keep coming back every week so you don't miss any cool stuff that gets brought in.

I have bought most of the guns I have online and have never been "screwed" or disappointed - The price is always hundreds less than what the LGS charges. If it were only a matter of $50 I'd make sure my LGS got the $ but they rarely have the stuff I want. Just run of the mill stuff I can find anywhere.

I make sure my LGS gets all my range business and I buy all my little stuff like oil or cleaning supplies and stuff but where the actual guns are concerned I buy them all online.

VooDoo

Some distributors sell guns that are a little different than the typ model XYZ. There could be more or less features and they'll be advertised as "Sports South exclusive", Bud's exclusive", etc. I doubt that's the case here.

Back in the day especially — the really good special versions seem to no longer exist so much — you can still order through the LGS. At least for the big/good locals, they usually have a relationship so can get the special versions, often get them for good deals.

IME, as I have a good local, that has (at least until they were sold recently... it may change) done me right on even things I ordered custom. YMMV of course.

I totally agree!

What they need to NOT do is hire every trigger-happy former Burger King employee that they can find that just want to sell you a Five-seven for EDC because it's "cool".
Agreed, or hire sorry ass people who scowl at the young folk that walk in and wanna see an expensive gun. Funny story, 18 years old dad is so proud of me. I’m going to buy my first gas gun all by my self at what has now become a heavy online dealer in Texas. Some of you probably know the one.

I walk in this store with 20 Benjamins in my pocket. Yes 2k that I worked my fucking ass off for. My plan is simple. I’m walking in a very knowledgeable gun enthusiast for such a young age, and I’m going to pay cash for a Steyr Aug. I ask for help 6 times before I’m acknowledged. This fat pile of shit finally comes over and asks me “what I want” like a smart ass. I say “sir can I please see that Steyr Aug you have their on the wall”. He laughs at me keeps talking to the person he was chatting with that ain’t buying shit clears the rifle and hands it to me and says “you got 10 seconds then give it back”. So I say yes sir give it a glance then before I can hand it back he’s reaching over the counter grabbing the damn thing from me.

He puts it back on the rack and walks off to go jabberjaw to whoever the heck he was talking to. I ask another employee to see the manger immediately. Manager comes over and says “how can I help you” I replied as I pulled that wad of cash out of my pocket “I came here to buy that AUG right there on the wall, but that fella over there completely blew me off because I’m young so I’m just gonna take my money somewhere else and pick one up. Have a nice day sir”. Man oh man that guy was steaming as I fiddled around the store to watch the ass chewing ensue.

Customer service is one of the most important aspects of running a business. This is why I support local businesses, and Hide Vendors like @gr8fuldoug and @Precision Underground because the customer service is unmatched.

10 years later and I still don’t have that AUG lol everytime I see one or getting ready to buy one all I see is that fat pile of shit looking at me over the counter like I was a shiny polished turd ??.

Agreed, or hire sorry ass people who scowl at the young folk that walk in and wanna see an expensive gun. Funny story, 18 years old dad is so proud of me. I’m going to buy my first gas gun all by my self at what has now become a heavy online dealer in Texas. Some of you probably know the one.

I walk in this store with 20 Benjamins in my pocket. Yes 2k that I worked my fucking ass off for. My plan is simple. I’m walking in a very knowledgeable gun enthusiast for such a young age, and I’m going to pay cash for a Steyr Aug. I ask for help 6 times before I’m acknowledged. This fat pile of shit finally comes over and asks me “what I want” like a smart ass. I say “sir can I please see that Steyr Aug you have their on the wall”. He laughs at me keeps talking to the person he was chatting with that ain’t buying shit clears the rifle and hands it to me and says “you got 10 seconds then give it back”. So I say yes sir give it a glance then before I can hand it back he’s reaching over the counter grabbing the damn thing from me.

He puts it back on the rack and walks off to go jabberjaw to whoever the heck he was talking to. I ask another employee to see the manger immediately. Manager comes over and says “how can I help you” I replied as I pulled that wad of cash out of my pocket “I came here to buy that AUG right there on the wall, but that fella over there completely blew me off because I’m young so I’m just gonna take my money somewhere else and pick one up. Have a nice day sir”. Man oh man that guy was steaming as I fiddled around the store to watch the ass chewing ensue.

Customer service is one of the most important aspects of running a business. This is why I support local businesses, and Hide Vendors like @gr8fuldoug and @Precision Underground because the customer service is unmatched.

10 years later and I still don’t have that AUG lol everytime I see one or getting ready to buy one all I see is that fat pile of shit looking at me over the counter like I was a shiny polished turd ??.

Well, at least you’ve got good taste in collectibles, shiny turd or not ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DaleGribble82

There are two that come to mind. If it's the one I am thinking about... Not too many people around here would buy from them any more after the whole magazine price gouge they did back in 2012. That reminds me, I need to post a good old "remember to fuck someone thread" in case people have forgotten their bullshit from back in the day.

You know that guy would have eventually sold you a Five-seven, just saying. Maybe a Highpoint if you were strapped for cash.

Last edited:
There are two that come to mind. If it's the one I am thinking about... CTD or McBrides? Not too many people around here would buy from them any more after the whole magazine price gouge they did back in 2012. That reminds me, I need to post a good old "remember to fuck CTD thread" in case people have forgotten their bullshit from back in the day.

@Tucker301 Is that a problem if I absolutely shit all over Cheaper Than Dirt in a dedicated thread?

You know that guy would have eventually sold you a Five-seven, just saying. Maybe a Highpoint if you were strapped for cash.
I can’t confirm or deny without Admin approval @AIAW. I’m not trying to be banned a third time in this 28 day month.

Find the best price and go to the people you feel best about. Then negotiate. Many will be able and willing to make the deal. But still it's just plain simple, some businesses are worth a little more. Online (Call) or Stores, it still works the same.

I always buy from my LGS I have sent enough business and bought enough from him that he gives me a real good deal and if it is a little more I still pay it. I would rather drive 20 minutes to give him my business than go to Walmart or some shit like that

Reactions: DaleGribble82
I don't know about you guys but my LGS carry jack and shit. Low priced stuff that I would never buy. That is what everyone wants. Sure, they can order what you want but not at what EO or MHS sell it for. Therefore, I buy online and at better prices.

I have tried to throw business their way but it just can't be done. My LGS sells a case of Hornady 6.5 creed (140 grain ELD-M) for $310. Add 7% tax to that and it is over $330. I get it delivered for $252. If it were close, I would throw it their way to provide support but paying 1/3 more for something that I can buy for THAT MUCH less is nuts. It is un-American.

Sounds like the LGS is trying to scare you into needlessly paying more than necessary.

Sounds like the LGS is trying to scare you into needlessly paying more than necessary.

No

I think he has a great business going and he doesn't need or want my business. He is content selling mass market crap...cheap ARs and scopes along with hunting and reloading stuff to the locals who don't shoot enough to make the cost delta significant.

If you shoot a case or more per month, the $75 difference adds up quickly. If you shoot a case a year...no biggie and you get to hang out there and drink coffee and profess all of your knowledge

Sorry @Nik H, that was targeted at the OP. "OMG, don't buy online- they're going to send you a used gun. Buy from us for more money. Our guns are new..."

I'm spoiled to have Primary Arms as my local gun store...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H
I’d just kill to have a LGS that didn’t act like transferring something literally caused them personal pain. I have asked about FFL transfers at several places and they look at me like I just asked for some huge put out. I get the same bs lines “well it’s 40$ for a transfer fee and I don’t send information out, they have to send their information to me.” It’s caused me to drive to Buds HQ more than a couple times just to circumvent the bs. I totally agree if we want to keep trying things in person we need to support the LGS, but by the same token I know FAR too many gun stores employing dickheads that don’t deserve my business and deserve to go under for the way they treat the general public.

I'd buy more from my LGS' if their prices weren't so ridiculously high, and if they didn't treat me like an intruder everytime I walked through the door.