• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference in recoil between a 454 and the 460 S&W handgun

barryaclarke

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2012
Bourbonnais, IL
I’ve owned a FA 454 for several years and have always loaded using the 240 XTP Mag with 38 grains of H110. After you get use to the moderate kick, it’s really a fun gun to shoot. Now I have a 460 S&W Encore that is due to be delivered this April from Bullberry. This maybe a stupid question, but the 454 with 38.0 grains of H110 using the 240 XTP developed a pressure of about 51,000. The starting load for the 260 using the 240 XTP and 48.5 grains of H110 develops about 44,000. Even though I’m using an extra 10+ grains of H110, should I expect less recoil even though using more powder because the pressure is so much less? I’m just wondering if my analogy is correct because I hate unexpected surprises.........

Who knows? I shot a 500S&W once, factory load. It kicked less than my Ruger 44Mag. I have never heard a 454 called a "fun gun to shoot" before? BB

Hello Gunny,
When I first owned the 44 mag, I thought there could never be anything better as I really enjoy the handgun for years that I owned it. Then I moved up to the 454 and once I got use to it, I would shoot a 100 rounds at the range and think nothing of it. I guess it’s all relative. Several years ago my 16 year old daughter who weighed in at 95 pounds if soaking wet could shoot it once she learned to let the recoil come up and over her head. But, she was known to take a step backwards from time to time too. Then there are the people who I have let shoot it for the first time who have never shot anything more than a 357 and they will usually say, “holy crap” or words to that effect after lighting off the first round. All in all, the 454 is my favorite round to shoot. It still amazes me when you put 454 brass next to 45 long colt brass because the sizes are almost the same compared to the 460 S&W. But, for a change, I still enjoy my Kimper Eclipes Pro Target II 45 acp. I'm still not much good with it beyond 75 feet though................
Barry

i guess its all relative. if you are ok with 38.0 gr of H110 in a FA 454 then you will probably be ok with the 460 encore if they are close to the same weight. I shoot a 460 that weights 72 oz and my hottest comfortable load is 38.6 gr of H110 with a 300 xtp. I can shoot 5-6 cylinders full and I'm tired. Anything hotter and i shoot a dozen and I'm done. YMMV
I found that if i practice with a 250 gr lead round nose pushed by 16 gr Trail Boss they impact very close to the same point at 50 yds (open sights) as the xtp load. Good cheap practice, and helps with trigger control.