• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difference in Wolf match ammo

Re: Difference in Wolf match ammo

I have used both and have had good results. My understanding is that the factory tests each lot for consistency in the Match Extra while the Match may be a mixture of lots some tested some not. Other than that I believe that they are made the same way with the same components.

I have not had a chance to shoot em side by side yet. Going to some more match ammo for smallbore prone so I was just wondering if anyone has done this test.
I have 10 boxes of Eley Tennex that I'm scared to shoot because I figure it is gonna spoil me and I can't afford to shoot it.

Lt I tested new lots of both last week. This the new stuff just off the boat and forsale at Champion Shooters. I shot ten five shot groups with four rifles with both types of Wolf. The ME and MT tied with two guns liking the ME and two the MT. Groups were very close so I ran the test twice. Once on Tuesday and again on Thrusday. Weather & light was a bit different on both days and results were the same. I also shot SK standard plus and Match. the SK Match was the clear winner of all four tested. SK Match and Wolf ME are the same price. Wolf ME and MT were both a close second and if your not competeting I would get the MT as its a little cheaper and shoots very well.

Thanks Don

I am competeing so will need all the edge I can get at a affordable price.
Started shooting small bore prone F class and love it.
Need to trade my Eley for some.

SK match and Wolf ME=same thing
SK Standard Plus and Wolf MT=same thing

Don, your differences are lot to lot/barrel to barrel.

LtFH-smallbore F Class, now there's something to look into......

Thanks, I'll look into that (once my Premier comes in for my 308 and the 16XMK4 can go back on the CZ that is...)!

Don, your differences are lot to lot/barrel to barrel.

I understand lot to lot that's why I shoot two or three lots of each also. The SK Jadg Match this year out shoots all the others in four of my four match guns. They are a 40x factory barrel, Jewel trigger and glass bedded. A 52D trick out trigger and glass bedded. A Kimber 82G completely rebuilt because the factory shit was just that. And a new to me 52E that I stole from the local gun shop two weeks ago. It's Factory bedded into a Al Freeland international stock, Karl Keynon match trigger and like new condition. If I thought going through all that would help the thread I would have added it. Donald

as noted before, alot does depend on the barrel. i've found by weighing them and using a chrony, that the wolf match extra and sk match is a bit more consistant than the match target and sk standard plus, especially at 100 and 200 yards.

the wolf match extra / sk match supposedly goes through a more stringent quality control process, and the wolf match target / sk standard plus is basically the stuff left over that didn't make the cut. still pretty good though.

oddly i have found the lesser in price wolf match target more accurate at 100 yards through a dirty barrel than the extra, and the sk match more accurate than the standard plus.

At 100yds. is usually where the match is won or lost, and thats where I'm looking for the consistency at. Almost everybody cleans the 50.
I'm thinking of trying some of the SK match to see how it's gonna group at 100.

this is prone 100 yards, NO REAR BAG. with rear support, much tighter.

HPIM1207.jpg

aguila golden eagle match (if you can find it) is also some exceptional stuff for the price.

Those 4 dropped points is what kept me from winning the last match. We will shoot six of those at 100. On the target we are using I thimk the X ring is 3/4 of an in.

usually keeps it in with the rear bag. we do a rimfire shoot here where we don't use it. if you really want what seems to be the best, you're looking at the lapua's and eley's, but double or triple the price for the extra 1/2" or so tighter groups. might as well shoot centerfire at that price, but if you have the $ try some of that stuff. for what i do and the equipment i have the wolf and sk is satisfactory...no gold medals in my future.

Haha no medals in my future either.
I have some Eley Tennex that I 'm going to sale to get the ammo thats more in my price range. Not gonna shoot due to being scared it will spoil me too bad.

The best 100 yard plus ammo ever made was the Federal UM1. It was about 1240 fps so it stayed super sonic past 100 yards and shot like high end Eley and Lapua does at 50. Federal does not make it any more because it did not make enough money for them. I'm always looking for old stuff that's been keep in dry cool storage as it's my favorite secret weapon on a windy day. The reason I bring this up as the new Federal UM22 is fast also. Federal says its made for them by RWS to Federals speck's. I shot two boxes last week and Jim here on the Hide shot the other box I had. We could not get very good groups out of it. But I've read only good things about it so someone has been lucky enough to find some good UM22. Give it a try as it's faster than the average target ammo out there and maybe you'll find yourself a secret weapon to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not gonna shoot due to being scared it will spoil me too bad.
</div></div>

I can relate to that!
Different discipline, but I've promised myself I will not try Tenex, RWS R100 or Lupua Midas until I am a AAA class shooter in SB Silhouette!

Is Fed UM1 the one that had the dimple in it?
Atb the last match somebody had some Fed with the dimple in the base.

Yep Federal copied the dented base from what the Russians. They were using it in thier Olympic ammo. It was believe that: one it help force the flash of the primer into the powder charge and: two that it helped the wet primer compound into the crimp when loading the ammo. Later test have shown that if it helped it was very little and that good quality control makes the most effective way to produce good 22 ammo. Remmeber also Federal made 1000b and 900b with the dimple. They are not the same load as the UM1. Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had a chance to shoot em side by side yet. Going to some more match ammo for smallbore prone so I was just wondering if anyone has done this test.
I have 10 boxes of Eley Tennex that I'm scared to shoot because I figure it is gonna spoil me and I can't afford to shoot it.
</div></div>.22s are ammo sensitive enough that you may find the Wolf shoots BETTER in your gun than Eley's best - I know mine does.

I find that my latest exploits with the 10/22 and CCI Green Tag groups 10 in well under two inches at 100yd. It shoots at least as well for me as FGMM at nearly twice the cost.

I have experienced when shooting for groups with different brands of ammo the differences in lube make a difference.

I have found that if you can clean most of the lube out before changing brands it does help. And I do not mean a scrubbing, just a few dry patches or a light solvent to just get that particular lube out.
It will take fewer shots to reseason the barrel with that manufacturers secret formula of lube when changing brands. Where it would take around 15 or so rounds after swithching brands to get the groups to tighten it would only take about or so rds.