• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Differences in Max load charts??

Re: Differences in Max load charts??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kindly, WTF? </div></div>

LOL! Yes, the Sierra manual is a little low. The 308 is one of the few cartridges that has a lot of variance in the published load data. I have seen loads with a 175 in the 47 grain range for Varget. If you started at near max (say 44 grains) and worked up, you would be alright. Just watch for pressure signs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kindly, WTF? </div></div>

LOL! Yes, the Sierra manual is a little low. The 308 is one of the few cartridges that has a lot of variance in the published load data. I have seen loads with a 175 in the 47 grain range for Varget. If you started at near max (say 44 grains) and worked up, you would be alright. Just watch for pressure signs. </div></div>

Dang. I just loaded a ladder of 41.0- 44.00 (with 44 being my max)-- I think I'll push some extras to 45.5 and watch for signs.

Thanks for your input.

You're welcome. The good thing is you might find the low end accuracy node around the 41 or 42 grains. Take a look at some of the posts in the reloading data section here for the 308. There's lots of data for this combo, and see what results everyone else is getting. It might help to know where to load some test loads. Also, you didn't say what brand of brass you are shooting. If you are loading up LC brass, your max will be a grain or two less than other brands.