• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Differences shooting gas versus bolt guns?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
For those with a good bit of experience behind both, do you change anything when shooting the gas guns? I would consider myself an "experienced" shooter with my bolt gun at this point. I've been shooting AR15/M16 style rifles for almost 20 years now but very little of that was spent working on what I would consider precision shooting.

I recently acquired a LR308 and shot it yesterday for the first time. Instinct tells me to do everything the same but with the substantially different recoil impulse I was wondering if there was anything I could do differently to improve my accuracy potential with this platform?

Are any of the fundamentals different when shooting a gas gun? Firmer hold? More or less loading of the bipod?

Re: Differences shooting gas versus bolt guns?

In my case I do everything the same. The fundamentals dont change with the gun.

I dont expect the same accuracy with the gas gun. If I am able to hold MOA with my AR 10, its all good.

Phylodog said:
For those with a good bit of experience behind both, do you change anything when shooting the gas guns? I would consider myself an "experienced" shooter with my bolt gun at this point. I've been shooting AR15/M16 style rifles for almost 20 years now but very little of that was spent working on what I would consider precision shooting.

Ignore that canard about gasguns not being as accurate as bolt guns. Many people believe that and so expect less from their gasguns. That's mistake number one.

When it comes to shooting prone, I find the AR platform to be very user-friendly in that respect. THe pistol grip makes for a better hold than on regular bolt guns and I find I can hold the rifle longer and better with the pistol grip than without. I use the pistol grip to easily get to the trigger and be able to trip it without disturbing the rifle. I drive the rifle with my left hand and I pull the trigger with the right hand.

With my Sinclair bipod, I now find that I loading it very little, much less than with my prior bipod, so I'm not sure that applies to your setup. Because of that bipod, I have found that my hold is not as firm as it once was. I find that I "squeeze" the stock between my head and my left hand and that both move as a unit. I actually go through an entire match (15 or 20 rounds,) without moving my left hand from the bag and I am consciously making an effort to keep my head in the same position, trying to use only my eyes to look around at the flags and the bubble level and the score card and the ammo box. If I lift my head, I have to spend the proper time to find the same exact place as before. I am unable to do that with a bolt gun.

The fundamentals are the same, the way you drive the gun is diffrerent.

We see a ton of gas guns, versus a bolt gun and the difference is definitely the shooter not the gun. (The PR1 & 2 class that ended Saturday, saw the single gas gun shooter as the top gun, over 5 bolts)

The gas gun has 3 recoils to the bolt guns' one, so the driver must be aware of this difference because a lot is going on while the bullet is still in the bore.

The trigger and especially the follow through in the gas gun is more important than with a bolt gun. In fact the gas gun is so different I can tell when the gas gun shooter has run out of ammo and fired his last round because I can usually see the impact change downrange. Why, the bolt is no longer, recoiling and then reloading but recoiling and stopping so it changes the unaware shooter's position slightly.

There are differences, they are small but noticeable, and it takes a lot to drive a gas gun correctly. A quality gas gun is no less accurate than a bolt gun, it;s the driver that matters.

Thanks for the information guys.

Frank, any recommended reading or resources I could turn to for improving my ability behind a gas gun? If I could swing a trip to Kingsville I would but it's not in the budget at the moment...

I'm learning here, and I'd like to learn more.

Greg

Frank, thank you for discussing multiple recoil impulses as well as the last round effect in gas guns - I have always thought this, but it is nice to see it confirmed.

I too would love to hear more from you about ways to minimize these recoil impluses.

Thank you

Lowlight that's a very interesting post.

I shoot a gasgun in F-T/R and following the rules, I shoot it single-load. Indeed my cartridges are too long to fit in a magazine and I would rather place them in them in the chamber.

I'm not sure which gasgun you are describing when you are talking about the three recoils but in an AR-15, the bolt does not start to open until the gas tube gets enough pressure and that can only happen when the bullet clears the gas hole and even then it is not instantaneous. The bullet is out of the bore BEFORE the bolt unlocks and starts to go back. If this were not the case, there would be quite a bit of pressure still in the bore while the bolt is coming out. Not a good thing.

If you think the bolt unlocks and goes all the way back, then picks up another round on its way back and closes before the bullet is out of the barrel, then I submit to you that a) you need more powder in your load or b) your barrel is about 100 feet long.

My guess as to why you think there is an impact change downrange when the gasgun runs out of ammo probably has to do with the cartridge getting loaded differently because the magazine spring is at minimum tension and the follower has a different consistency than cartridge brass, or it could be that the shooter was counting the rounds consciously or subconsciously and started relaxing too soon.

Sig,

We train guys on the Mk 11 as well as other rifles and see hundreds of people shoot them, hundreds, and if you think the delay gas system is actually a delayed action I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I see thousands of rounds go downrange and can set my watch to errors and consistencies of a gas gun. In fact tomorrow morning I start another class of 22 shooters, all with Mk11 Mod0 rifles.

The errors we see are usually shooter, and the 3 recoils are real... however you want to explain it, is fine with me, but trust me when I say, without ever looking at the line I can tell you when the last shot is fired as well I can tell you when the trigger is not reset, when it is, etc... I don't think shooting a single round AR is going to demonstrate all of the same characteristics of the 308, I'm sure a lot are similar, but the bullet is still in the bore, as well there is column of air in front of the bullet that doesn't just go out of the bore, but up the gas tube as well.

it's M118LR, and they are all the same... I see it over and over, and over and over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too would love to hear more from you about ways to minimize these recoil impluses.</div></div>

The way to minimize the effect of the recoil impulses is to ride the gun all the through the recoil cycle, most especially keeping the trigger firmly to the rear, until the bolt is back home and locked. Then just reset the trigger for the next shot.

Also, you need a natural point of aim straight behind the rifle, so that the muzzle isn't walking to the left during recoil, if you're a right-handed shooter.

When you say ride the gun Lindy, are you talking about pulling the rifle back into your shoulder more firmly than you might with a bolt gun? I lean into my bolt gun more than I pull it into my shoulder, perhaps reversing these two for the LR308 may be beneficial?

No, I lean into it as well, unless the firing position prevents that. I just mean maintain the same pressure on the rifle all the way through the recoil cycle. Don't change anything, and keep the trigger to the rear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig,

We train guys on the Mk 11 as well as other rifles and see hundreds of people shoot them, hundreds, and if you think the delay gas system is actually a delayed action I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I see thousands of rounds go downrange and can set my watch to errors and consistencies of a gas gun. In fact tomorrow morning I start another class of 22 shooters, all with Mk11 Mod0 rifles.

The errors we see are usually shooter, and the 3 recoils are real... however you want to explain it, is fine with me, but trust me when I say, without ever looking at the line I can tell you when the last shot is fired as well I can tell you when the trigger is not reset, when it is, etc... I don't think shooting a single round AR is going to demonstrate all of the same characteristics of the 308, I'm sure a lot are similar, but the bullet is still in the bore, as well there is column of air in front of the bullet that doesn't just go out of the bore, but up the gas tube as well.

it's M118LR, and they are all the same... I see it over and over, and over and over. </div></div>

That's all nice and well, but I simply cannot believe that the Mk11 will cycle the action and rechamber a round before the fired bullet is out of the bore. This rifle must be VERY different from a traditional AR-15 or AR-10.

I still maintain that the bullet has exited the bore and is on its way to the target before the bolt even begins to unlock, let alone have the BCG go all the way back, and be pushed back by the buffer spring and pick up the next round and chamber it. To have all this happen before the bullet can travel the distance from the gas hole to the muzzle (about 12 inches maximum,) is simply something that I can't get my mind to accept.

Furthermore, I would hate to have the bolt unlock while the bullet was still in the bore, the muzzle blast would be replaced by a breech blast. So, bring that deed to the bridge and let's have a look at that also.

You got it, that's a much smarter explanation than I can muster.. so with that, I will start letting the emphasis on follow through and trigger reset wane as the bullet has already left the bore.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess we will have to rethink our training program based on this new information that the bullet has left the bore.

<span style="font-style: italic">Sometime you should look at the magazine of a fired Mk11 and note the heavy powder residue which is "blown" back into the chamber. The rounds in the magazine are black after only a shot or two... </span>

I don't have 308 gasgun experience, but I'll revoice a point Lindy made-
my accuracy goes way up on an AR platform when I remember to maintain pressure and keep trigger pulled to the rear through the recoil cycle.

I think the bullet's out of the tube before bolt starts to unlock (the gas port in the barrel is closer to the muzzle than it is to the carrier key by far).

I learned something new tonight, that pressure only exists behind the bullet, here I thought there was pressure in front and in back.

thanks all.

Frank / Lindy thanks and please continue - I am learning.

Lindy - thanks, I realize that when I am prone I have taken relaxing and NPA to the extreme - there is a lot of free recoil for me. I'll start to lean on it a bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learned something new tonight, that pressure only exists behind the bullet, here I thought there was pressure in front and in back.

thanks all. </div></div>

Can you expand on this?

I don't claim to know jack about it but it would seem to me that a horizontal column of air would exist in the confined space of the barrel, the bullet would be a moving gas check which forces said column of air out of the way at a faster rate than it can flow at the pressure of the relative atmosphere - how does this not create pressure ahead of the bullet?

It would also seem that the use of a supressor would exacerbate this substantially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learned something new tonight, that pressure only exists behind the bullet, here I thought there was pressure in front and in back.

thanks all. </div></div>

There is pressure on both sides. In front of the bullet you have air pressure and at sea level this is 14.7 PSI. Behind the bullet once it is fired, the pressure will be 50,000 to 62,000PSI, making the pressure in front of it infinitesimal, not even a rounding error.

I believe that it takes upward of 15,000 PSI of pressure in the gas tube to get it to start unlocking the bolt; and since the gas tube is as long (or longer) than the distance from the front of the bullet to the gas hole, even if ALL the air between the bullet and the hole was transfered to the gas tube, all that would accomplish is a doubling of the pressure to about 30 PSI.

The gas tube does blow back into the receiver, it is a direct impingment design after all, and it does let in gases and powder residue in said receiver. With the AR-10 and its much heavier bolt carrier group the volume of gas blown back in is probably substantially more than on an AR-15, but if your cartridges are black after a few rounds that may be a sign the ammo you are using is "dirty."

As for follow through and trigger reset, this is another area where the AR differs from the bolt gun and allowances must be made for it, if top accuracy is required. The lock time (the delay between pulling the trigger and having the primer ignite,) is much longer on an AR platform than it is on a bolt gun. The figures I have seen show the bolt gun to have a lock time of about 3-4 milliseconds and the standard AR to be closer to 12-15 milliseconds. The Geissele trigger was designed to cut down the lock time and it is only able to achieve 8 milliseconds.

Couple this long lead time with a trigger that may not be as good and as crisp as a bolt gun and trigger control becomes crucial; hence follow through and trigger control are de rigueur with such rifles. All golf pros will talk to you about proper form and follow through when you swing at the ball. They will also tell you that once the ball has been hit by the club head, it is no longer in contact with it but follow through is important because it prevents you from jerking or swinging badly. It's the same in shooting; it is part of the form and it prevents you from jerking the trigger or moving the rifle during lock time.

When I am shooting, I pull the trigger and I stayed glued to the stock, looking through the scope until the target goes down. Sometimes I see fun stuff, like last week at the 600 yard match, when my bullet hit the shaft of the spotter and sent it sailing at 2 o'clock. (Thankfully the spotter was firmly in the 10-ring as the time, just not quite in the X-ring.)

Way too many people jerk the trigger and are already looking up to see what's going on; they are not focused on the task at hand and there is no follow through, poor form with poor results.

I have never shot a MK11 (I would love to try it,) but I don't suspect it's very different from an ArmaLite Super-SASS, which I have shot. I have shot plenty of F-class matches with my AR-15 and high power XTC matches before that. Which leads me to say that you should not change anything in your syllabus on the MK11, follow through is critical with long lock time triggers.

Control of the rifle until recoil subsides, is the concept that's important here. The idea, behind the idea of continuing to aim until the bullet's out the barrel, is to appoint a limit and consistency to recoil.

No, I use the same fundamentals to shoot my gas guns as I do my bolt guns.

I do agree with Sig, the bolt does not unlock until after the bullet has left the barrel. The projectile is traveling forward and a MUCH higher speed than the bolt is going back. More so than the difference in the ratio of distance traveled. I would really like to find a high speed video of an AR firing with the muzzle in the view, but all of them I have seen just show the action.

I also agree that follow through is very important on a gas gun. It is way to easy for the shooter to get into sloppy habits since he can just "send another" with a pull of the trigger.

I still like bolt guns better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would really like to find a high speed video of an AR firing with the muzzle in the view, but all of them I have seen just show the action.
</div></div>

Check the video, you see exactly that at the end.
Muzzle blast, than the action open...

I'm not going to claim to have knowledge of when the bolt begins to unlock or move to the rear in comparison to when the bullet leaves the barrel. That is obviously going to be somewhat dependent on the platform (5.56 vs 7.62) and the length of the barrel and gas system. I've got someone I can ask who I'm sure has high speed video and can tell me everything about it. I'm not planning on building them for a living or coming up with ways to improve them so I'm not all that concerned about this aspect.

What I do know is that shooting a gas gun is different from shooting a bolt gun. While I will always have room for improvement, I am quite confident in my abilities behind my .308 out to it's reported maximum effective range and sometimes beyond.

I am not experiencing the same degree of success with my gas gun and I'm hoping to learn what I can do to rectify that.

I don't know. No dispute, it's just beyond my ken.

I think it's superfluous to argue such points when all we're really interested in is how to shoot the danged things. No matter what's going on, the answer is followthrough.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not going to claim to have knowledge of when the bolt begins to unlock or move to the rear in comparison to when the bullet leaves the barrel. That is obviously going to be somewhat dependent on the platform (5.56 vs 7.62) and the length of the barrel and gas system. I've got someone I can ask who I'm sure has high speed video and can tell me everything about it. I'm not planning on building them for a living or coming up with ways to improve them so I'm not all that concerned about this aspect.

What I do know is that shooting a gas gun is different from shooting a bolt gun. While I will always have room for improvement, I am quite confident in my abilities behind my .308 out to it's reported maximum effective range and sometimes beyond.

I am not experiencing the same degree of success with my gas gun and I'm hoping to learn what I can do to rectify that. </div></div>

Phylodog, I am an NRA Master in F-class. I attained that classification with a gasgun, an AR-15 to be exact. Yes, it has been customized; I have a heavy 26 inch barrel and a Geissele trigger, and some other stuff. This is why I can say that a gasgun is not any less accurate than a bolt gun; but you are correct, it is different.

I explained about lock time above; that was not for Lowlight's benefit (he knows all that stuff,) it was for yours. The only thing that I disagree with Lowlight about is the fact the bolt does not open before the bullet clears the muzzle; I experience muzzle blast, not chamber blast, regardless of caliber. What Lowlight (and everybody else) is saying about follow through and trigger control is exactly right and on point. The gasgun MUST be shot with proper follow through or else you are diminishing your accuracy.

Letting the rifle normally recoil before moving is a great way to deal with it.

Appreciated Sig685. I'll be back out with it tomorrow and I'll pay more attention to my follow through and see what happens.

Here is an image of the blow back...
FLG_1624.jpg

Little different than an AR.

So? That's nothing, just crap that comes down the gas tube and remnants from the ejection of the fired shell. I can assure you that if this was chamber blast, (like when the bolt unlocks while under pressure due to the bullet still being in the bore,) that shooter would want to be wearing glasses or possibly a face mask and have both earmuffs and ear plugs on. He is shooting dirty ammo and I suspect the gasport may be bigger than usual to provide extra positive extraction.

Okay, they usually do wear stuff and that is after the shot, the gun has already cycled, and I wouldn't call M118LR dirty.

But if you say so.. I'm not gonna argue with you.

Great thread makes ya think.
Bullet.......... Long Gone
Think about it. Primer ignites powder gets everything moving. Bullet accelerates passes gas port, gas system pressures up, bolt slowly opens... bullet just has to go distance from gas port to muzzle.

Just to throw in a side note that something has been documented happening that some of the above posters say "not".

Randall Rausch wrote one of the best details about AR operation over on AR-15.com you can find anywhere. Some of you need to read it.

The bolt CAN start opening before the bullet leaves the muzzle. This would be a rifle whose "timing" is off, ie a malfunction of operation. This is more common with over pressure loads.

I have spent the last few hours fruitlessly searching for the TECOM study that stated that for the M16 family to work best, there needed to be 4" between the gas port and muzzle.

Barrels with longer distances between the muzzle and gas port are known to be a son-of-a-bitch to get properly timed when you add a suppressor and may cause early bolt opening because of increased gas pressure back to the bolt.

Those are facts that affect weapon function, not accuracy of the system.

The longer barrels more than 4" past the gas port and suppressors do increase the time the bullet is "in front of the gas column" and do put increased pressure on the impingement system, which does two things, screw with timing as mentioned above, and blow way more trash back into the receiver.

For some reason, the military has decreed that a piston driven system rather than an impingement system is supposed to be in place in the next two to four years to remove the timing and trash issues with suppressors and different ammunition lots. Again, not issues with weapons accuracy ability, but functionality.

I have both AR-15 and AR-10 at work, both suppressor adaptable, and I have dealt with the over pressure issue and ripped up brass and all that bullshit.

None of ANY of that affected the way either rifle shot for accuracy. The GAP AR-10 is a tack driver. The Patriot Arms SPR upper is also a tack driver.

None of this is any different from shooting bolt action rifles with different stock styles such as one with extreme drop at the heel on one end and a straight stock design with no drop at the other. Both require a "driver" who learns to control the system and provide a solid platform with consistent recoil control.

IF you put ALL the rifles in a AMU cradle where the shooter recoil issue is removed, you find they will all shoot very accurately.
When you add shooter recoil management, you find a difference in accuracy performance.

The AMU has seen more problems with recoil management and worked to provide training to give the shooter the ability to create the most stable recoil platform a human body can produce and has created some AWESOME winners using an AR platform. They can shoot bolt rifles pretty damn good too.

I did notice that they are also doing a damn fine job teaching recoil management at Rifles Only as well.

But then again, I really don't know jack about shooting. I'm still a novice.

All,

I shoot my bolt gun and AR no differently: sight alignment, and trigger control is supported by a steady position with a good chipmunk stock-weld. I focus on the front sight and follow through, calling my shots. That, pretty much, sums it up. It's all just basic marksmanship.

Folks, like jhuskey, have spelled out the facts of it all here before, with lucid clarity, and still, apparently, some here choose to keep looking for answers elsewhere. I just don't understand it. The MAN shows em how to do it, and they just ask the question again, or volunteer their notions on the matter, without enough understanding about what good shooting is all about to be professing anything.

Sure, for developing shooter's there's mystery and discovery, and, even the best shooter's on the planet work to perfect their skills, but, for those here who want to solve shooting problems, first, explore the facts before presenting hypothesis and new inventions.

I'm very curious would'nt you lose all the pressure to operate the action once the bullet has left the bore?My understanding is the carbine length gas tubes create alot more pressure then the rifle length tubes.This contributes to a sharper recoil impulse and more abuse to the gun hence the development of the mid length tube.If I understand explosiove principals correctly the gas travels the path of least resistance which would be straight out the bore not up a little gas port.

it works that's all I care about. There are no shortage of books that explain the various operating systems of semi and full auto weapons. If want to know everything about the M16 family,THE BLACK RIFLE from collector grade publications will tell you more than you ever needed to know.
FYI the past of least resistance is through the gas port because it comes before the muzzle. The M-1s port is a lot closer to the muzzle than any black gun and it always works with the correct ammo. The "operation" of the action is a done deal (process underway) before the bullet exits
There is no evidence that carbines wear anymore, or recoil more than rifles of equal caliber and weight. The recoil contribution of the bolt coming back is tiny compared to the recoil energy generated by pushing out a 77-168 grain bullet from 2700-3200 fps.
If you get into changing gas guns from what they were designed as you can screw it up. There is a reason why my DPMS LR 260 can have a 24" bbl but my 300 SAUM only 20". As DPMS explains it, it has to with pressure curves, port sizes. interchangability of LOWERS and lots more. Another example is folks using the wrong powders and factory ammo in the venerable M-1. A Hornady magnum or a 220 gr bullet with 4831 can put a real hurt on a Garand.

It is a known fact the carbine length gas tube generates almost twice the pressure as the rifle length.This causes a sharper recoil pulse and increased bolt velocity which makes it more prone to bolt and extractor failures.I agree on the m1 analogy the point of this was to dispute the above thread that the bullet must leave the barrel before the action starts to open.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhuskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to throw in a side note that something has been documented happening that some of the above posters say "not".

Randall Rausch wrote one of the best details about AR operation over on AR-15.com you can find anywhere. Some of you need to read it.

The bolt CAN start opening before the bullet leaves the muzzle. This would be a rifle whose "timing" is off, ie a malfunction of operation. This is more common with over pressure loads.</div></div>

In a properly functionning AR (10 or 15) the bolt will not open before the bullet exists the bore and the pressure drops to zero. If it does open when there is over 50,000PSI of hot gases in the bore, this is generally known as a kabboom. If this occured for every shot fired, the aluminum receivers would be torn apart in short order, but I doubt the extractor would last more than a few cycles.

Permit me to introduce the concept of obturation. On firing, the bullet jumps into the rifling and fills the grooves thus and prevents the rapidly expanding hot gases from slipping by until the bullet exits the barrel and the hot, pressurized gases hit the comparatively cool, unpressurized atmosphere and create a muzzle blast. The shorter the barrel, the hotter and more pressurized the gases are and the larger the muzzle blast.

At the other end of the barrel, the cartridge, which is made of a material that expands, has swelled to a) release the bullet and b) obturate the chamber thus accomplishing two desirable things: 1- Containing all the hot pressurized gases so they are pushing the bullet out the bore. 2- Saving the bits behind the cartridge from feeling directly the effects of escaping hot pressurized gases. This includes the receiver and the shooter.

This also means that the cartridge is firmly pressed against the walls of the chamber at pressures exceeding 50,000PSI; it is hugging the walls and that is one of the reasons it is not going backwards to do damage to the bits behind it. For those of us who handload we do know to clean up sizing lube so as to not have this lube be present at ignition time and lower the coefficient of friction between the case and the wall and thereby dramatically increase the pressure on the bolt, (which may cause it to open before the bullet has exited the bore and thus causing a kabboom.)

Once the pressure drops due to the bullet exiting the barrel and the hot pressurized gases spending themselves into the atmosphere, the cartridge contracts a little and it becomes possible for the bolt to turn it and then pull it out, something that it could not do reliably milliseconds prior. The AR extractor is not the most powerful version of such a device and if the case does not come out easily, the extractor will either rip or more likely jump the rim and leave the case where it is.

As the case is ejected it carries with it a great deal of heat that thankfully does not get transfered to the chamber. (It can get transfered to your skin on occasion.) This is why AR cases are HOT and bolt rifle cases are cool. Guess where the heat goes in the latter rifle.

During the ejection cycle, the bolt is pushed to the back and the majority of the gases that were diverted from the barrel through the gas hole and then came back down the gas tube to send the bolt carrier on its rearward journey, these gases escape through the ejection port, the path of least resistance. In a bigger AR rifle with cartridges containing twice as much powder as the regular AR rifle, that will be quite a bit of gases and residue coming out that port.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have spent the last few hours fruitlessly searching for the TECOM study that stated that for the M16 family to work best, there needed to be 4" between the gas port and muzzle. </div></div>

I think that's probably because it's not there. The original AR-15 had the gas hole located 12.001 inches on a 20 inch tube, leaving a smidgen under 8 inches from the hole to the bigger hole at the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrels with longer distances between the muzzle and gas port are known to be a son-of-a-bitch to get properly timed when you add a suppressor and may cause early bolt opening because of increased gas pressure back to the bolt.</div></div>

By the time the bullet reaches the gas hole it is already going at a large fraction of its muzzle velocity. If we take an AR-15 with a 20 inch barrel and an MV of 3300FPS, at 12 inches the bullet is already going 2400 FPS and accelerating. The next 8 inches will be covered in less than 25 milliseconds. If you add a suppressor, that introduces different pressure curves because of the design of the baffles. BTW, I understand that suppressors get quite hot due to muzzle blast. I should think the receiver would get that hot also, if the bolt kept opening while there was 50,000PSI's worth of hot gasses in the bore. (This might be a way to keep the suppresor cooler.)

The original premise here was that there were three recoil events as the bolt opened, moved to the end of the buffer tube and then bounced forward collecting the next round and chambering it, all this occuring before the bullet left the barrel. These three recoils conspired to disturb the rifle and thereby cause the bullet impact to move differently on the last shot of a magazine. If this much activity was taking place in my rifle (which BTW has a 26 inch tube and a regular gas tube and I can reload my brass multiple times,) I would never be able to hit the X-ring at any distance. I doubt I would even be reliably on paper. We are talking about minutes of angle for accuracy and rifles in full recoil will move in multiple degrees.

Just for fun, the next time you are at the range, leave the bolt open and do not insert a magazine. Just take aim at the target holding the rifle as you normally would and then release the bolt and see how much the reticle will move around. I must be a very lucky shot because for me, it will move a lot, all over the black and maybe into the white.

I maintain that the bullet has left the barrel and is well on its way to the target before the bolt opens. Proper hold and follow through are critical because the human body has quirks and twitches which can impair accuracy. As I said before, about the only difference between this type of gasgun and a bolt rifle is the very long lock time. People tend to press the trigger and get ready for recoil or whatever comes next. If you focus more on aiming, trigger control, and then letting the rifle recoil before looking up, the results will be better. I absolutely love the picture that Lowlight posted. It does show the shooter to be totally focused on shooting. The bullet has probably hit the target already and he has not moved at all; his eye is looking through the scope still and that would be the first thing to move after the shot has been taken.

Sidebar, biggest difference I see, when comparing an AR to a bolt gun, is usually sight radius. I'd rather be shooting what has the longer sight radius. Even when the comparison is between an A4 and a M4, I'll take the A4 for all the little things which inspire better hits.

Charles: most of this discussion has to do with the difference between .308 Win bolt guns and rifles with scope sights, so the difference in sight radius is not applicable.

That seems all very text book, maybe you need to come see the last round effect for yourself.

We saw it last week with a Noveske 308, and we see it everytime with a Mk11... the last round of the magazine prints different, however you want to describe it is fine with me, but I can call downrange without ever looking at the rifle, or the shooter. They almost all do it, I've gotten to the point of not even correcting on the last shot because we see it so often.

Text book descriptions of what people think is happening has little weight in my opinion over watching it take place over and over again... either myself and others are seeing things, and our imagination is getting the best of us, or something more is happening, that go beyond the books. How much does an .014" shim move a scope/bullet impact at 100 yards...

In this case, I think the simplest explanations works best, for some reason machines never seem to operate as instructed, computers never crash, cars always start, bullets leave the bore first, got it.

Is this an invitation? If it is, I may just take you up on it. Could I bring my rifle?

As I said before, the "last round effect" may well be due to the fact the last cartridge is loaded differently, but I think it's more because the shooters are counting their rounds and know this is the last round and are either relaxing prematurely or thinking about the coming magazine change.

As a test, why don't you put in a number of cartridges that is less than full capacity and tell the shooter the magazine is full and then observe.

Sig,

Your comment, you THINK I can't find the TECOM study because it does not exist, "not". I wanted to find the original because of when people THINK something wrong, they have to be shown.
The TECOM study exists, I have an exerpt from it. I wanted to be able to post the whole thing rather than the exerpt. However:

"The TECOM Study reports that the rifles need 4” past the gas port to the muzzle to function consistently. “In April 1986, US Army TECOM started the XM4 Carbine program with a direct entry into Development Test / Operational Test II.““The Marines (US Army did not fund it for length of the program) funded the XM-4 program in order to get a more reliable shorty. It was found that the AR-15 needs at least four inches between the gas port and muzzle. This was determined after extensive testing. You will note that the 14.5” barreled M4 and the 20” M16 have the same distance from the port to muzzle.”" End Quote.

From your other comments, it sounds like you have read Randall Rausch's commentary on the AR-15, starting with your introduction on "obturation" which is almost word for word Randall's.

Other than that, good luck your F-Class shooting and may you make the High Master class.

I'm going to continue to carry the AR's I mention to deal with the assholes that are shooting at us. We are up to 5 AK47 incidents in the past 2 years now, the last one on the 14th of this month. But again, I'm just a novice who doesn't know jack about this, I just carry one to stay alive with.

Jhuskey, we are not in disagreement. The TECOM study says that:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was found that the AR-15 needs at least four inches between the gas port and muzzle. This was determined after extensive testing.</div></div>

You said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have spent the last few hours fruitlessly searching for the TECOM study that stated that for the M16 family to work best, there needed to be 4" between the gas port and muzzle.</div></div>

The TECOM quote places 4 inches as the MINIMUM required distance. I would think that 8 inches fits this parameter nicely. The entire thread here had not mentioned suppressors until you brought that up.

I have never read Randy Rausch’s commentary but I am not surprised that my comments would be similar to his; the proper term is obturation and there are not many ways to describe the function of that concept. I may not be carrying ARs for a living (I’m way too old for that,) but I do know how they work. (BTW, do you have a link to that commentary?)

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, but I doubt that I will attain HM status; there are very few of those in F-T/R in mid-range and currently none in long range, I believe. These targets are VERY small and the caliber restrictions are very real. It is entirely possible that I may be the only Master with a .223 gasgun or one of very few. I’m not bragging, I understand my limitations and at my age, I know how to set my expectations. If I were a really good shooter, I would be doing something else.

Stay safe and keep posting.

So if they are saying gas moves 5X faster than the bullet, the bullet has 7 inches in front of the gas key, and 13 inches of suppressor, the gas is moving about 13" back to the bolt on a Mk11 , 5X faster means the bullet hasn't left the muzzle before the unlocking operations has started.