• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Different Angle Shooting Question

sheepdawg

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2007
Northern, MI
This has probably been posted before but I could not find it anywhere. When shooting at a downward angle where would you hold on the target and can you give me an explanation of this. Where I am going coyote hunting the angle that I am shooting at is a downward angle maybe about 45-40 degrees, but the distance is pretty short about 70 yards. If anyone can help me out it would be very much appriciated.

Thanks, SheepDawg

Re: Different Angle Shooting Question

The long and shot is you will always hold lower, uphill or downhill. Gravity is working on the distance traveled over the surface of the Earth, that's what causes the trajectory to look like a decreasing radius arc.

The simple field answer id to multiply your knob setting for the slant range (straight line or laser) by the cosine of the angle to the target. The cosine of 45degrees is .7, so if you needed 7 MOA up for the range to the target, you'd dial 4.9 instead.

Now, after all that, at distances under two hundred yards you can ignore it unless the target is VERY small.

But windage would be for actual target distance and not the corrected distance. Some data books like TRGT have cosign charts for this.

Sierra has a great article here