• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Different types of hunting rifle setups? Tell me about yours!

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
So I'm plotting/planning on a different style of match which brought up a question in my mind. We all have a personal preference when it comes the weight of the rifle we'd actually take hunting depending on what kind of hunting you do. So my question is what kinds of hunting do you do (varmint, predator, elk, whitetail, etc)? What is your setup/setups? What is the weight of your setups including mounted optic and bipod(if you use one)?

Not looking for opinions or ideal/pretend setups but ones that actually exist and are being used. Thanks for the info ahead of time and include pictures if you'd like.

So I'm plotting/planning on a different style of match which brought up a question in my mind. We all have a personal preference when it comes the weight of the rifle we'd actually take hunting depending on what kind of hunting you do. So my question is what kinds of hunting do you do (varmint, predator, elk, whitetail, etc)? What is your setup/setups? What is the weight of your setups including mounted optic and bipod(if you use one)?

Not looking for opinions or ideal/pretend setups but ones that actually exist and are being used. Thanks for the info ahead of time and include pictures if you'd like.

I went with a Jon Beanland built:

Bighorn Origin
8” twist Bartlein 5R #3 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
McMillan Carbon Ambush adjustable Game Scout
Triggertech Diamond
APA bottom metal
SWFA rings
3-12 Bushnell LRTSi

Load development was super easy. Had five different loads all group less than .6 MOA at 500 yards. One of those was a factory load. Really liking this rig. Best compromise I have found between portability and repeatable precision.

John

C7-B3-A901-8148-414-F-AC63-D2-D2-CB8-C85-AD.jpg

758-F96-DD-74-D1-4-EA2-8-CC7-80003-CAC1227.jpg

A58-C847-B-2111-4-B57-9-A47-6-EC93621827-A.jpg

8-EB2-BAF2-3-DD2-497-B-8-F33-D8-F498-CF79-DB.jpg

So many variables in this that there will be no "one" perfect setup. The differences will be based on hunting from a box blind or hiking over mountains. That along will dictate barrel length and weight. No matter what one chooses, that last thing thing I want to be doing is "getting to know" my rifle during a hunt.

Ok, the point of this post is to get a general idea of the weight range of rifles for weight limits and classes in a hunting style match ". I'm not looking for a "perfect setup"... Just looking for the weights of rifles that people actually use for long range hunting.

I hunt with a range of rifles for a range of animals. I have 1 dedicated more carry rifle, a factory 70’s Remington 700 bdl 7mm mag with a razor lh on it for big game and have 1 long range set up, a 300 Norma with a hell’s canyon armoury barrel, manner t5a elite weighing in at a total of 12.5lbs if I recall.

My varmint rifles range come in at 11 and 16lbs but carry my target rifles weighin in at 12-17lbs with me when I want to take them out (50% of the time).

My deer hunting is 90% done with a bow and savage 220 20 gauge.

My 2 dedicated hunting rifles are 7.5lbs (browning x-bolt 7mag) and 7lbs (ruger American predator 6creed) fully kitted out for the hunt.

That being said, the last rifle I took elk hunting was an 11.5lb r700 in 308. That’s all in weight with the bipod, optics and suppressor.

The other gun I gravitate most towards is my M98 7mag that’s right at 11lbs.

Last one is my 6.5creed Bergara Ridge/HMR that sits right around 10lbs.

I consider all of these to be my big game hunting rifles and I hump them all through the Idaho back woods.

Reactions: jzerfoss
What do you consider long range?

Wby Mk V in 6.5 CM with MeoPro 3.5-10 = 7 lbs 4 oz
Wby Vanguard Wilderness in 240 Wby mag with MeoPro 3.5-10 = 7 lbs 14 oz
Rem Model 7 in 257 Roberts with Burris FF II 3-9 = 7 lbs 1 oz
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in 308 Win with Weaver Grand Slam 3-10 = 7 lbs 2 oz

Will have a Wby Vanguard First Lite in 300 Wby mag that I will probably mount Nikon Monarch 3 1-4 and it will probably come in at 8.25 lbs.

I have yet to kill anything. Will be hunting whitetail soon in AL. I just like guns.

Tikka Ultralite in 270. Laser accuracy, it's very light, and mine is camo so "you can't even see it"... except for its stainless parts and the human making noise behind it, of course. Topped with a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 zeroed to hold at the crosshair for up to 200 yards and hit vitals. No need to over-complicate here. I also use a CZ557 in .308 with a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 scope on top. Depends on if I want to take a polymer or wood stock out. Despite the Leupold having a smaller objective (by a lot) compared to the Vortex, I still see through it better in low/foggy/rainy day light. But it was much more expensive, so it better be better. The turrets on it are a joke, though, but, again, set it and forget it for hunting in my world. Vortex scope is still fine. I can see the deer through it... if a damn deer ever comes by -- which is almost never, thanks to me not being rich and having land and thus having to use public land or wait until I can access 30 acres of private land after the owner decides he's done for the year.

Last edited:
Ran a Tikka T3x Lite 6.5cm this year. Has the following on it:

KRG X-ray gen 4
ARC m10 rings
Vortex PST gen II 5-25x50mm that is now sold. NX8 4-32x50mm Mil-C is the replacement
Added an MDT 3.3" Arca rail for a more solid interface with my tipod
MDT 5 round, binderless mag
MDT M-lok QD receptacle
Magpul MS1 padded sling

Weighs in at 10lbs 4oz with an empty mag and no sling. I generally don't have to walk more than a couple miles and I'm still young and dumb. I can lose a little around 1.25-1.5lbs swapping back to the factory stock and another 9oz if I switch to a Razor LHT down the road.

W4vPMhCh.jpg

Remington 700
270 Winchester
"Mountain Rifle"
Currently wearing a vortex viper PTS scope in Leupold Dovetail windage adjustable rings.
Triad Tactical Stock pack
Montana Sling
9lbs unloaded.

Ideal hunting rifle? There are somethings I might change, but this is MY hunting rifle. Box blind, mountains, forests, fields, this one will get it done. Not a prairie dog rifle as it has a very skinny barrel, and it's not a match rifle. But, a deer/elk/ rifle needs to shoot that cold bore shot the same place every time- it doesn't need to string together 10 shots in 90 seconds.

Hunting match? Hmmmm.

Shooter will start stage with mag in, bolt closed, chamber empty, on safe, with rifle slung on back- or lashed to a pack, shooter preference. Shooter will wander mostly aimlessly for 3-5 days, searching for a "trophy" target that may or may not be on the "unit." Hundreds of "no shoots" will be dispersed over the "unit" and the shooter will be inprisoned for a term not longer than his natural life if he engages a "no shoot." The trophy target(s) is/are not marked as such and it is up to the shooter to "score" the target before engaging it. Please remember the provision for shooting a no shoot target. Be a aware that all shooters will be on the unit simultaneously, and no provision has been made for fields of fire. Remember the 4 rules of firearm safety. Once acquiring the trophy target, the shooter must engage only the vital region of the target. 'Gut shots' and edge hits will be scored as no shoots. Shooter must them move to the target location and fix his "tag" to the target. If another shooter reaches the target and fixes his tag to the target first, he claims the target.

Par time- None
Points- 1
Shots- 1

And before I forget, long range hunting isn't hunting. Just shooting big targets

Reactions: jwood1284
The differences will be based on hunting from a box blind or hiking over mountains.
Yep...this was my first thought. I'm 68, live in the mid-Atlantic area, and def ain't mountain hunting in this remaining life time (haha). Matter of fact, me and this lousy back ain't getting into a tree stand either! Its box or ground blinds for me.

So, I bought a Rem 700 5R SS .308 with 20" barrel. Bedded the action, put a Jewel in it, sports Leupold Mk 4 steel rings and a Viper 3-15 and comes in at about 10.5-11 lbs.

I'm happy with this rig as its a very good shooter at the range and reasonable to take out into a blind. Walking miles up and down mountains and plains with it...well, not so much but that's not happening in my life anyway.

I think I just lucked out with this Rem 700 as the barrel shoots pretty dang good....

Reactions: gatorbait308
We are likely, far different than most folks. We have one rifle used exclusively for “all” of our big game hunting.....from deer/antelope to moose, elk, bear. We had, as in past tense, wanted to hunt Alaska and Africa.....so we chose firearms/cartridges well suited for those purposes. While we (wife and I) have some firearms primarily dedicated to varmints, and while we don’t varmint hunt much....we occasionally use our hunting rifles for varmints. Good practice!

Mine: Win. Model 70, push-feed action, Douglas Supreme Match Grade SS, with iron sights (rear folding leaf) in lightest contour available....chambered in .375AI. Stock is McMillan with Pachmayr Decelerator pad, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS in Leupold QD base/rings with Leupold 2.5-8 also in QD’s zero’d and ready as back-up. Scoped,loaded, and slung approximately 9 pounds 2 ounces! Presently running Barnes 250 TTSX’s at 3130 fps, will be going to 270 LRX sometime soon.

Wife: Win. model 70 SS push-feed, in standard Winchester “Mattel” stock, cut to her length, with Pachmayr Sporting Clays, same scope set-up as mine. Rifle, all-up weighs in @ 8 pounds 15 ounces. Rifle chambered in .338 WM, running Barnes 225 TTSX’s @ 2950 fps.

Our thoughts, use the same rifle/cartridge and zero for all of your hunting and some occasional non big game use.....you should be more proficient with that firearm. It’s worked pretty good for us since the early/mid ‘90’s! memtb

I actually just tackled this issue in the last few weeks. I played the lightweight game with a Model 7 that came in well under 8lbs all in, and hated it. I usually ended up toting my 13-15lb rifles instead because I liked them more, I shot them more, and I had more confidence in them. That, of course, was not optimal. I didn't want to spend a ton, but I wanted something I would enjoy shooting a lot, and not hate carrying. Most of my bigger game shots are in the 2-500yd range, with the occasional outlier further and closer.

I ended up grabbing a Wal-Mart 700 ADL, and a buddy had a brand new, never had a round through it 20" 10-twist .308 barrel from an SPS Tactical. I screwed that on, put a Timney trigger I had on it and dropped the whole thing in an AG Alpine Hunter I picked up here on the 'Hide. With Grayboe bottom metal, a 5rd steel mag, and a Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 FFP in Talley LWs, it comes in right at 9lbs.

Its short, handy, and carries and shoots well. I may end up cutting another 3.5" off the snout, but I am gonna hunt with it for a year before I decide.

Reactions: Northernjets
I actually just tackled this issue in the last few weeks. I played the lightweight game with a Model 7 that came in well under 8lbs all in, and hated it. I usually ended up toting my 13-15lb rifles instead because I liked them more, I shot them more, and I had more confidence in them. That, of course, was not optimal. I didn't want to spend a ton, but I wanted something I would enjoy shooting a lot, and not hate carrying. Most of my bigger game shots are in the 2-500yd range, with the occasional outlier further and closer.

I ended up grabbing a Wal-Mart 700 ADL, and a buddy had a brand new, never had a round through it 20" 10-twist .308 barrel from an SPS Tactical. I screwed that on, put a Timney trigger I had on it and dropped the whole thing in an AG Alpine Hunter I picked up here on the 'Hide. With Grayboe bottom metal, a 5rd steel mag, and a Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 FFP in Talley LWs, it comes in right at 9lbs.

Its short, handy, and carries and shoots well. I may end up cutting another 3.5" off the snout, but I am gonna hunt with it for a year before I decide.

I was in a similar boat. I could've shot my Lite in a mostly factory configuration that was around 8lbs loaded, but it just didn't feel comfortable to shoot because of the LOP and grip angle/size. I actually dropped my rifle into a KRG X-Ray midway through the season because it was annoying me that much getting behind it. I'll figure out a lighter system if I ever need it, but with the minimal trekking, a 10lb rifle really won't hurt me and the cost of being confident behind the rifle is a priceless thing to have.

6.5 PRC, 22” proof sendaro, 5” TBAC, Curtis hybrid action and MPA folding stock with a Vortex AMG. Weights 11lbs and after years of messing with 7lb magnums and hating them I feel this is the best all around for me, which is western deer/elk/antelope
6900B81D-76F7-4FAF-8117-1B831D99E470.jpeg

Attachments

• 8532BF4F-4EFC-49FA-8633-3027E503CBBF.jpeg
    8532BF4F-4EFC-49FA-8633-3027E503CBBF.jpeg
    706.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 69C983D3-B377-41E7-8AA2-E656DAADEDBA.jpeg
    69C983D3-B377-41E7-8AA2-E656DAADEDBA.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I run a 260 imp. With a 24 inch bartlein MTU barrel. Pushes a 130 about 100 FPS faster than a creedmoor for yotes and any hunting where i dont have to walk far. I use a lightweight 270 for everything else.

Tikka Ultralite in 270. Laser accuracy, it's very light, and mine is camo so "you can't even see it"... except for its stainless parts and the human making noise behind it, of course. Topped with a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 zeroed to hold at the crosshair for up to 200 yards and hit vitals. No need to over-complicate here. I also use a CZ550 in .308 with a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 scope on top. Depends on if I want to take a polymer or wood stock out. Despite the Leupold having a smaller objective (by a lot) compared to the Vortex, I still see through it better in low/foggy/rainy day light. But it was much more expensive, so it better be better. The turrets on it are a joke, though, but, again, set it and forget it for hunting in my world. Vortex scope is still fine. I can see the deer through it... if a damn deer ever comes by -- which is almost never, thanks to me not being rich and having land and thus having to use public land or wait until I can access 30 acres of private land after the owner decides he's done for the year.
Mine in .308, same scope and rattle can paint job. My public land black tail gun
D4E47A94-D432-413B-A703-10FB5C99AC2A.jpeg

I always end up using my 40 year old Model 70 featherweight in .308. Around 8 lbs; short, slim, and light. Mule deer, song dogs, and Wapiti.

When the walks are short and shots are long I've tipped over elk with my 12lb .300wm. But it isn't what I would call a mtn rifle.

I’ve hunted with many different setups. None of them what most people consider “traditional” but I have more fun this way. Mostly deer and pig. Spot and stalk. Lots of walking. Does it suck sometimes with the weight? Sure. Get in better shape. I’ll use lightweight rifles when I can’t carry these anymore. Having said that I’d never hunt without a tripod or a top tier scope again, regardless of weight.
For the NRL hunter series just shoot what you want.
332C22A6-8890-4172-AFAC-9D1A67CFBB35.jpeg
72E96C5B-F4C4-4F5C-94BD-9A44BA77A0B1.jpeg

JAllen about 16lbs all up
3E1D5C10-BC82-4119-96A8-FB36D3378151.jpeg
06D1176A-B53E-4329-B63C-ECAB92F4310F.jpeg
5518942D-2F96-414F-A733-AA7C8F103065.jpeg

AXMC about 19lbs all up
910E4A52-8BD3-408E-B4FA-88BA31C06FEF.jpeg

Desert Tech about 16lbs all up
AC11DA54-5D3B-4BE6-9F2B-719175F81153.jpeg
C0BA9AE8-3A2B-4773-8440-859460B9E5C8.jpeg

My favorite one is actually my cheapest that I own. Bergara Ridge SP in 308 with a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10. It’s light, short, easy to move with and extremely accurate.

Reactions: Gzilla
For the past three years I’ve hunted everything from elk on down to prairie dogs with my Q FIX and haven’t been left wanting.

Attachments

• A026C715-AA77-4466-86B2-BD456FD3ECF3.jpeg
    A026C715-AA77-4466-86B2-BD456FD3ECF3.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
6.5 PRC, 22” proof sendaro, 5” TBAC, Curtis hybrid action and MPA folding stock with a Vortex AMG. Weights 11lbs and after years of messing with 7lb magnums and hating them I feel this is the best all around for me, which is western deer/elk/antelopeView attachment 7520956
How do you like that ultra 5? Would you buy that again over the 7? I have a MPA ultra lite .300wm on order.

I'm torn between the ultra 5 and ultra 7. Will split time between the .300wm and a Fix in 6.5cm/308

How do you like that ultra 5? Would you buy that again over the 7? I have a MPA ultra lite .300wm on order.

I'm torn between the ultra 5 and ultra 7. Will split time between the .300wm and a Fix in 6.5cm/308
I would get the 5" again without a doubt if its primarily used for hunting rifles, mine is dedicated for that. If you plan to shoot recreationally a lot and only want to get one I would probably get the 7". I have an Elite Iron that I use on my PRS guns so the 5" fits my needs perfectly. It is still very quiet for the small package. I will say, unless the 300 has a shorter barrel, the 7" may seem annoying, I find barrel/suppressor combos over 27" are a pain in the butt to maneuver in the mountains.

I’ve hunted with many different setups. None of them what most people consider “traditional” but I have more fun this way. Mostly deer and pig. Spot and stalk. Lots of walking. Does it suck sometimes with the weight? Sure. Get in better shape. I’ll use lightweight rifles when I can’t carry these anymore. Having said that I’d never hunt without a tripod or a top tier scope again, regardless of weight.
For the NRL hunter series just shoot what you want.
View attachment 7522386View attachment 7522387
JAllen about 16lbs all up
View attachment 7522388View attachment 7522389View attachment 7522390
AXMC about 19lbs all up
View attachment 7522391
Desert Tech about 16lbs all up View attachment 7522392View attachment 7522393
That's the wildest paint job on a J Allen I have yet seen. 👍 😅

Hi,

30/30 lever action for pretty much any North American animal I care to eat.

Sincerely,
Theis

Honestly this.

It’s slim, light, packs enough punch for most work, and if you’re hunting where you ain’t going to probably be able to have a clear line to target over 100-150, it’s pretty good for that.

also not shabby for defense

Also hunted with most everything I have, rabbits with a high end 22s, hogs with my JP AR, etc.

Reactions: Northernjets
Honestly this.

It’s slim, light, packs enough punch for most work, and if you’re hunting where you ain’t going to probably be able to have a clear line to target over 100-150, it’s pretty good for that.

also not shabby for defense

Also hunted with most everything I have, rabbits with a high end 22s, hogs with my JP AR, etc.

It's pretty much the quintessential hunting rifle back in southern Ontario. That and sporterized Lee Enfields. Most "long" shots would be 200 yards down there.

Reactions: TurboTrout
As someone who grew up deer hunting with a .30-30 Win Model 94 and a sporterized .303 Brit SMLE...I have no nostalgia for those days.

I'll take "Rifles Built This Century" for $100, Alex.

Last edited:
Reactions: reubenski
As someone who grew up deer hunting with a .30-30 Win Model 94 and a sporterized .303 Brit SMLE...I have no nostalgia for those days.

I'll take "Rifles Built This Century" for $100, Alex.

Outside of long range shots in places where that’s possible

What benefit does a modern rifle have over my 30-30 94 for killing deer?

I mean we ain’t talking defending your home from a armed assault, shooting a competitive long range, or 3 gun match, etc

20yo R700 in 300wm, Bartlein sporter contour barrel, fluted, badger Base and rings, old USO 1.8-10X42mm with internal bubble level, IPHY turrets and ret, illuminated, HS Precision stock think it weighs about 10lb. Mostly hunt whitetail from a blind. Very mild load with 150gr SGK.

20161206_173807.jpg

Outside of long range shots in places where that’s possible

What benefit does a modern rifle have over my 30-30 94 for killing deer?

I mean we ain’t talking defending your home from a armed assault, shooting a competitive long range, or 3 gun match, etc

The deer does not care, let's be clear about that.

If hunting deer with a .30-30 Model 94 is what makes you smile, then more power to you man. I'm not trying to rain on your parade.

Remington model 7 in 300saum with a LHT in Talley one piece rings.

The deer does not care, let's be clear about that.

If hunting deer with a .30-30 Model 94 is what makes you smile, then more power to you man. I'm not trying to rain on your parade.

I’m just in it for a stacked freezer.
Don’t take many hunting photos, and I don’t have a pair of antlers in my entire house, got some friends who are all about that stuff though, which is cool. I just like hunting for both the outdoors part, and the good eating part.

Spending time outside is a bonus, and be that with my 30-30 or my 223 or 308 or, it’s all the same to me, there was no passion in what I said one way or another.

My question was to the advances in firearms that were mentioned, when it comes to lots of deer hunting where it’s a 100 yard shot, what benefit would one get with something newer than a 30-30?

Can we keep it on the subject..... Deer can be killed by pretty much any rifle/cartridge ever made with a well placed shot. That has nothing to do with this thread. I've gotten some good info from several people but the more the better.

• Driven hunt, moose and boar: Tikka T3 9.3x62 with Svemko suppressor and Meopta 1-4 or Zeiss 2.5-10x50 in Spuhr Hunting direct mounts.
  • Stalking, night hunting: Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 Creedmoor with Svemko Suppressor and Kahles K624i in Spuhr ISMS, Versapod bipod. Have a Bravo which I haven't mounted yet, considering getting an arca rail for it so I can pop it on my photography tripod and give that a try.
  • Varminting, bird hunting: Custom Sako Vixen A1 in Wildcat Composites stock and Bartlein 1:9 .223 barrel in a "miniature" scaled down T3 Varmint profile, 20mm at the muzzle and Svemko suppressor, Versapod bipod. Currently a Diamondback Tactical 4-16 does the job but an upgrade would be welcome.

My go to here the last two seasons is a 20" .308 win SPS tactical in an HS Precision stock with a Nikon MOA reticle scope that I caught on clearance. The rifle is short carries well and shoots 168 SMKs, A-Maxes like a laser, I'm supremely confident in this combo. My Bergara Ridge30-06 is a close second though with a Leupold 3-9x40 is quickly gaining more time due to it being super accurate and me being a fudd and having a soft spot for the old antique cartridge.