• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Differential Equations and Ballistics?

Cheetah

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
United States
I’m looking for help/input from some math nerds, or possibly even just folks who have read Litz’s books.

I’m late to the punch in this lifetime, but at some point I decided to go back to school and pursue an engineering degree. For the final project for my Intro to Differential Equations class, I decided to focus on long range ballistics. I‘ve been shooting my entire life, and have a decent understanding of the basics, including fair amount of formal education on external ballistics. *I* don’t matter in this, just want to point out I‘m not starting from *complete* zero here with regards to the topic.

Anyway, I’m curious if anyone has any insights about the utilization of ODE’s and/or PDE’s in modern ballistics solvers. I haven’t yet picked up any of the AB books, does Bryan delve that deep into the underlying math in any (all?) of them to justify ordering today to utilize as a resource?

Most of the academic material I’m able to find pertains to ballistic missiles, aircraft, etc. which could well be my poor search parameters.

Reactions: pell1203
edit: welp the link didn't work.

Amazon has Robert McCoy's,

Modern Exterior Ballistics: The Launch and Flight Dynamics of Symmetric Projectiles​

Has most of the equations you'll need I believe.

Awesome. Thank you!

To be clear, I have no qualms ordering Bryan's books. I'm not asking anyone to share/give me the info that's in the books. But if they were intentionally written to be 'digestible' and avoid the math, then I have no immediate use for books I have no time to read.

Edit: That makes more sense, thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzep
Yeah McCoy's book is probably what you're after. Chapter 9 has the vector differential equations for 6DoF and modified point mass trajectories.

Litz doesn’t get into the weeds. Probably a big reason why those books are so popular.

I have the McCoy book linked above, and that does get into it a bit more.
I kind of assumed as much, just based on their own description of the books. Still plan to pick them up eventually, but today likely isn’t that day.

Ordered McCoy’s book, thanks again @Ledzep for the lead!

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I’m all ears!

Reactions: Ledzep
I kind of assumed as much, just based on their own description of the books. Still plan to pick them up eventually, but today likely isn’t that day.

Yes you will enjoy McCoy’s book. It is the Bible of exterior ballistics and the kinematic equations of projectile motion. Litz is a very good ballistician but, as said above, his books are purposely not as rigorous mathematically.

Last edited:

Which one? Did you get the original or the corrected Vol 2? If you got the original then their is a correction sheet that goes along with it (the book was not finished when he passed away and still needed some edits). The Vol 2 has the corrections in the book.

Reactions: Cheetah
Which one? Did you get the original or the corrected Vol 2? If you got the original then their is a correction sheet that goes along with it (the book was not finished when he passed away and still needed some edits). The Vol 2 has the corrections in the book.
Amazon claims 2nd edition, but I'll be sure to verify when it arrives. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired