• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Difficult extraction problem

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I finally got time to go to the range today to try some loads for my Savage .308.
I had 5 loads to try all using RL15 and a 175gr SMK. I loaded 42.5gr, 43gr, 43.5gr, 44gr and 44.5gr.
I had a few rounds that were difficult to extract. The bolt lift was normal on all of them but I had to tap the bolt handle to the rear slightly. 3 of those rounds were the 42.5gr. There were no other signs of overpressure so I don't think it was the load.
On a couple of the cases I noticed that the case mouth felt slightly sharp. If I didn't chamfer the case properly after trimming could that cause a problem extracting the case?

Jim

Re: Difficult extraction problem

The case mouth chamfer wouldn't affect ease of extraction. Were you full length sizing your cases? Or, if the cases had been fired in another rifle and not full length sized, that could be the cause. Another possibility is if your cases weren't trimmed too length and were excessively long. If the end of the case were jammed up against the end of the chamber that would raise chamber pressures.

There were once-fired cases from other rifles. I did full length resize them. I measured the cases and the "book" calls for a max length of 2.015" and trim to length of 2.005". Since a lot of my Federal cases were 2.010" I trimmed all of them that were longer to 2.010".

Jim

Different types of brass?

Changes in case volume between different brands can result in difference in pressure which in turn could create a sticky bolt... could this be a potential cause?

Also, did you check the cases in a case gauge after resizing? I consider a case gauge to be a must have reloader's tool. If your resized cases drop into a case gauge and headspace ok, then difficult extraction has something to do with your loads and not the resizing process.

Lesson learned, don't shoot brass fired in another weapon with out FL resizing using a small base die, ask me how I know this

I did FL resize all of the cases
I do not have a case guage- yet. I will as soon as I can order one.
I really don't think the loads were too hot even accounting for the temp. Most extracted normally. A very few were a little sticky and 1 or 2 were almost stuck. There was not a progression from lighter to heavier loads. The first was one of the lightest loads. I still think it was my brass prep but I can't figure why.
I also noticed a small shiny spot on the base of the cases. Is there anything about the Savage bolt face that could cause problems? This is a new rifle. It fired commercial ammo with no problems.

Jim

hmmm. my first thought was possibly loaders error and too much powder. i had one in a string of 5 get really tight. lift was hard, but extraction was fine.

can you reload the same brass and not resize and try it again? i cant see anything you did as being the cause

Axe, the lift was OK. It was hard to pull the bolt back on the problem rounds. In fact I had to use a wood hammer handle on one to tap the bolt back a little. Even on that one the bolt lift was easy-normal.
I weighed every charge on my Dillon D-Terminator. All were within 1/10gr.

Do you mean reload the cartridges, or load the empty brass in the rifle?

Jim

I've had the exact same problem on occasion with my 10FP usually with the first round fired or when I tried FGMM brass. Bolt lift was normal, primers looked good, and they were not hot loads. Have to bang the bolt back with my fist. I think my problem started after I extracted a round during a cease fire. Pulled the bullet and dumped varget in my chamber (it was a 125 gr Berger seated in the lands.)

Being that its FGMM brass, my guess is that its nothing more than the case head expanding and giving you the trouble when you turn/open the bolt. LC brass can do the same thing with loads that should be well within max pressure. Doesnt happen all the time with the same load too. I use my FGMM and LC brass for lighter loads and when I need heavy stuff, its Lapua.

but, YMMV.

I have a load of federal brass and have a tight one here and there from LE range sessions some of it from a semi auto some from a bolt gun, I had two split on me at the base today maybe from resizing. Federal Brass is known for growing fast so I think im going to switch back to Black Hills, Federal has a lower case volume so make sure you account for this, by powder weight it is 1.3 gr less than Black Hills or Winchester brass.