• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Digital camo stock--first attempt

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
Thanks to the guys at Bulldog Arms for their excellent camo stencils:

http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulldogarms/

Just peeled the masks off my stock. Not quite as I'd hoped, but I think it came out pretty good for a first attempt. I still have to get a matte clear coat on it and maybe some kind of texture then get an action dropped in and see how it looks.

Re: Digital camo stock--first attempt

I'm not sure how to proceed with this. I think it's going to need some prep before a clear coat to reduce the edges left from the masks. I don't know if I should use a light wet-or-dry sandpaper or maybe some fine steel wool. Or maybe just keep hitting it with coats of matte clear until it is smooth. Any ideas?

0000 steel wool make sure dry it would take way to many coats clever to smooth it out looks great nice break up

Thanks cvcustoms. The steel wool works great. I was a little worried it'd might chip at the sharp edges, but 0000 is a lot finer than I thought. A few more passes with the steel wool and I think I'll be ready for the clear coat.

Update: I got a nice effect with some matte clear and a sort-of deliberate overspray. Give is a nice grippy texture (click for a full res photo):

I put an action in it and took it to the range Saturday (105F that day):