• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Digital Day/Night Vision Paired with a Thermal Clip-On

Double Naught Spy

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2013
North Texas
www.youtube.com
My hunting partner is getting to demo products for some companies and right now he is working with a prototype 640 resolution thermal clip-on from Bering Optics. He had been using it with a regular daylight scope, but getting good shooter's-view video was a pain. He could either get video from the thermal clip-on which did not include the crosshairs of the day scope, or he had to cobble on a third device for recording behind the day scope. It was all too cumbersome and made hunting really difficult.

Before coming to hunt with me, he was going to swing by the range and it dawned on him he could try to use a Sightmark Wraith 4k digital day/night scope behind the Bering Optics clip-on. When he later showed up to hunt and showed me the rig, I wasn't sure if he had some sort of unnatural Frankensteinian abomination, or is maybe he was a genius. I had never heard of anyone doing this before. It actually turned out to work really well. So he was able to record the shooter's view of what he was seeing (via the Wraith) of the Bering Optics thermal image.

Here is a vid he put together of it. He has a bunch of text. You may need to stop the video in a couple of places if you actually want to read all of it.

Great thinking(on Ben’s part)!
The way you edited in the reticle when using the other clip on seemed to work well too, I know if I was doing that it would not always be an accurate representation of what actually happened. My memory does not always perfectly match up with what I record.

Great thinking(on Ben’s part)!
The way you edited in the reticle when using the other clip on seemed to work well too, I know if I was doing that it would not always be an accurate representation of what actually happened. My memory does not always perfectly match up with what I record.

Editing in the reticle with the previous clip-on was to be more in the spirit of what went on as opposed to reality. It helps the viewer follow the action if they know where you are specifically sighting the rifle.

With Ben's version, no editing and you get the reality of what he was seeing. I honestly was a bit gobsmacked when he assembled things in the field in front of me. I thought it was a bit of a joke, but the Wraith 4k made for a great recorded image of what the Bering Optics new 640 res clip-on was showing. I still don't know the name of the new clip-on. I don't think that has been decided yet, but I think they will be coming to market pretty soon.