• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

digital scales

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
I have the Lymann reloading kit that came with one of its digital scales. I thought that was the way to go, but i noticed I need to re-zero it every nown and then, and sometimes it takes a few second to get the final weight. I was looking at a beam-type scale, and recommendations? Has anyone had the same issues?

Re: digital scales

Yep! I have the RCBS 750 job. Constantly have to recalibrate. I'm not a 1K shooter so I thought it would be good enough for an inexpensive and quick way to go. And, it is until you have to stop for do over 3 or 4 times a session.

Pain in the butt.

Check and make sure its no where near an air exchanger it will mess with a scale bad.

Any of the RCBS or Redding beam scales will do you a fine job. All reloading scales are accurate within .1 gr. so there is no accuracy advantage, per se, with either IF they are working right.

I know some people are happy with their digitals and I'm happy for them. But, on average, I doubt many are finding them to be any better than yours! Digitals have a reputation for changing zeros, drifting calibration and they often fail to follow a trickler as well as any beam scale will. I don't need that. All it would need is to be off, just once, with a high pressure load and KABOOM!

The oft repeated claim digitals are "faster" puzzles me. Given the time they need to warm up enough to stabalise, then zero and calibrate them, maybe a couple of times, and then it MAY give a reading a full two seconds faster than my old 1010? For that I am to pay all that extra money? Not me! And my beam is always ready to go, instantly, and never changes. At all.

Mine sits on its dedicated shelf, at nose level for easy reading, and never needs to be zeroed. After more than 45 years of use, I do still check it's zero and accuracy occasionally, about once a year, by setting the poises at 260.9 gr and setting the original check weight in the pan. It always reads dead on, in a couple of seconds, just as it did the day I first pulled it out of its box. So I then put the cal. weight away for another year! Love it.

NO digital will ever match that for accuracy, dependabiity or long life so I just don't think I need one of them new fangled "modern" devices. I prefer GOOD tools to any "NEW AND IMPROVED" GIMMICK!
wink.gif

I use it cause it came with the kit. I do know that sometimes new isnt always better. Thanx guys.

I have tried 2 types of electronic reloading scales RCBS 1500 chargemaster and a Dillon Determinator the last 2 months and both sucked. I have a friend who has an electronic sacle but it is not a reloading scale. It is a scientific scale with a cover over it. It works great if you keep the cover closed but to me it looked like it took longer to use than my beam scale. I still need to get a scale to measure 750gr bullets but I am going to hold off till I find one I really like. I may get a lab scale because that was the only one I saw that read the same each time.