• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

digital scales.

aloreman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2011
orangeville pa
Im looking for a digital scale for bullet sorting and quickly double checking loads. what do you like/not like. had the hornady pocket scale and thru it out

Re: digital scales.

I have the RCBS 750 range master it works excellent. My loading room gets fairly cool in the winter. If its cool i have to turn the scale on and leave it on for awhile or it don't zero out all the time. Once its warm its not a problem. Every once in awhile you have to tap the pan a few times then zero it out. if it gets to not going to zero every time. This un loads the scale is what rcbs told me. And it works it goes back to running great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VIC-123 </div></div>

X2
from Affordable scales

I've had a Dillon for about 5 yrs and it's been a really good scale.

Everywhere I look, the Acculab 123 is sold out due to the manufacturer discontinuing them. Whats the next model everyone is running to?

I have the RCBS 1500 and I like it,..works good. I upgraded it to add the powder dispenser a couple of year later and I like that too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everywhere I look, the Acculab 123 is sold out due to the manufacturer discontinuing them. Whats the next model everyone is running to? </div></div>

Sartorius is the parent company of Acu Lab. The new model is the AY123 only with their name versus Acu lab on it.
http://www.affordablescales.com/scales_category.asp?products=40&Carat_Scales

Sent my 123 scale back. Too much drift. Bought a GD503, problem solved.

The GD503 is the way to go for super fast, super accurate reloads but it is very expensive. About $900 if I recall.

The dillon scales are good. RCBS scales work but they are pretty slow. They also need to be recalibrated kind of often.

The current lower end acculab is this one though I have no experience with it

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38348/Product/Sartorius-Scale-110V

My next scale will be a GD503. I have owned a dillon and an RCBS chargemaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent my 123 scale back. Too much drift. Bought a GD503, problem solved. </div></div>

Thats a mighty fine upgrade, but I like the OP am looking for a scale to measly double check my throws to make sure they are spot on. I have a Chargemaster 1500 set up right now, and would like to make sure its throwing the same loads everytime... So a $900 scale is out of the question...

Here is a video showing the flow with a trickler, some sort of accurate fast scale (GD503 in this case) and a cheap powder thrower that just needs to get it close.

Some good ideas no matter what digital scale you use. This trickler is way better than the one on the chargemaster though. Drops one piece of powder at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byikXIrLlFM

RCBS 1500 is a great scale....if you ever want to add the chargemaster, its just an upgrade away.

I have tried a few scales, and the RCBS 1500 is really pretty well made and consistent. It holds calibration well and is easy to use. my $0.02

QuiggyB-

How is that trickler working out for you? I heard those can really be awesome for getting exact loads round after round, but never used one. What are your experiences like?

I love it. With the chargemaster I used to see what it decided to dump out, scoop out a little, shake a little back in, then dump it in the case. Now I use a thrower to get it close and hit the button a few times. After you use it a bit you get a feel for how many granules of powder will get you there and how long to hold the button and you can do it really fast.

The GD503 offers a few ideas you can steal. It has a box built around it that offers easy side access while keeping air currents off it. In that video hey ran the trickler into the box so it dumps right on the tray on the scale. That kind of thing can be constructed. Then you just need an accurate scale. Speed helps obviously but you can work around it.

I know some guys with 2 or 3 chargemasters and by that point the GD503 setup is cheaper, more accurate and faster.

That powder trickler is the Omega. Best one I've ever used. $65.00.

+1 on the RCBS. I own the dillon. I am on he second one is had to send the first one back. The second one isn't much better. I wish I would have gone the ribs route. Just a thought.

Sethro Out

my hornady scale works fine as my check scale. I use it to confirm the charges thrown on my tuned beam scale. If the charge was right the hornady would read the desired weight plus or minus the drift. if i am over/undercharged the hornady would show this as well.... when in doubt redo the powder charge.

for weighing bullets and brass which are 3-4 times heavier then my powder charge it works fine a .02 difference in a 185 gn bullets is 1/100 of 1%

mind you i did toss a mtm scale because it would not zero.. for a $20.00 item i have to figure they do not all work well..

I just wanted to report that my Denver Instruments MXX-123 has turned out to be pretty much junk. I started getting underload errors on startup and now I have to place about 180 grains of weight on the scale to get it to boot up. I called Denver Instruments to try and get it fixed and they said, "Too bad, out of warranty, we'll sell you a newer version for $475.00"

Obviously I won't be buying anymore Denver Instrument scales and have instructed our labs to do the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's everyones idea of a good lower end scale? Cheap </div></div>

I bought one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713049/

and it's every bit as accurate as the one attached to my Chargemaster.

I've been using this scale for the past 6yrs and am happy with it. .5 gr accuracy.

Gempro 500

They have a lifetime warranty. I have 1 boxed up that I'm sending back today. 1.5 ~ 2yrs out of each scale but the warranty makes them good.

What about Pact trickler and scale? The Benchrest guys I've been shooting with all seem to swear by them?

I am using the Dillon D-Terminator 5 yrs now. It seems to be perfect. I calibrate every session and it is always right on with the 50 gr weight. Little interference from drafts, still on the original battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using the Dillon D-Terminator 5 yrs now. It seems to be perfect. I calibrate every session and it is always right on with the 50 gr weight. Little interference from drafts, still on the original battery. </div></div>

I have one of these too but a newer model. Like it alot but sure wish there was a way to turn off the "battery saver" mode. Even shuts down when operating off AC adapter. An annoyance for sure but the scale is accurate.

I had problems with the Pact scale drifting way too often. Same with the Dillon scale.

Haven't had any drift issues with the GemPro.

Check out Brian Enos. He has some scales that are good. I have the $130 scale, made in GER.