• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dilemma on new rifle

mattman215

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
So I have a dilemma and I am seeing if anyone has any experience on either. I am going to get a new rifle in 300wm (yes I want that round so let’s not discuss the rounds that are better etc..).
I want this rifle to be a good long range hunting rifle 800-1k yards
It is going to be short 20in and threaded for suppressor. Also it has to be left handed.
My two options I can’t decide on.

Buy a Bergara b14 for about $1000 Get the barrel cut to 20in see how it shoots and over time possibly true action replace barell maybe even a new stock over the years.

option two. dont even waste money on the Bergara and just get a full custom rifle (Defiance action McMillan stock etc... (I have a great gunsmith)

in your opinions do you think I will be remotely happy with the Bergara as an accurate 1k yard rifle of should I just pay once cry once and get a full on custom rifle with defiance action.

Last edited:
If Bergara has a stock you LOVE buy the factory rifle, if not just go custom

I can live with the stock but I am not in love with it

not sold on defiance just custom in general with that being said does anyone have anything bad to say about bighorn or defiance ? Or are they all good?

Ya I really want a custom but really am not excited about the what I know it will end up costing. I just hate how some factory guns shoot like straight crap.

Custom if you are just going to swap everything out over time. It’s like buying the gun twice

Reactions: reubenski
I suppose you are right
Does anyone have any real world accuracy reviews of the Bergara in 300wm?

I dont have first hand experience but from what ive seen everyone seems to be happy with them

I was in the same boat i went custom...because i guess i wanted to spend an excessive amount of extra money on somthing the bergara would have done no problem for 30% of the cost

Lol I have the same dilemma....I think the Bergara would work but I just want to spend a crazy amount of money On a shiney custom rifle

Thats exactly what im doing lol

Origin action
Triggertech trigger
Proof 6.5cm (didnt need carbon...but carbon)
Hellfire brake
Pork sword chassis (rifle setup)

I couldnt decide on a stock so went pork sword to try somthing different will use it til i find what i want then will build a .223 out of it with a 700 action and barrel

So 1 custom gun will turn into 2 at some point because i cant help myself

Reactions: bgavin
How do you liek the carbon barrel? Is it worth it? Is it hardy to abuse? Even worth it if I am putting a can on the end?

Dont have mine yet...proof uses them on all of their hunting rifles i just have an obsession with carbon so figured id give it a shot. A comparable steel barrel would be 3-400 cheaper and im just building it for fun and the range so its not like i even am worried about weight

What got me into looking at them was checking out a christiansen mpr at a local shop but after reading on them i wasnt sure i wanted to chance it that got me stuck on carbon and decided to build my own

Ha nice I was looking at those mpr rifles and my buddy has a nice magnum Christiansen arms that shoots lights out. But for the price it better.

Euro has them for 2k which i dont think is bad but yeah with a few reviews i saw i would expect better for that cost

Pay more and get EXACTLY what you want.

"Buy a Bergara b14 for about $1000 Get the barrel cut to 20in see how it shoots and over time possibly true action replace barell maybe even a new stock over the years."

Umm... how much are you going to spend over the base Bergara for the barrel cut, trueing the action, and replacing the barrel, then replacing the stock?

Get the action & stock you know you want, a quality barrel, the trigger you want (or just ask around and somebody has a crappy old trigger they'll give you until you figure out what you want).

The only reason the Bergara makes sense if as a hunting rifle, you're not shooting it all that often.

It's the comp/training/2,000+ ads a year that makes it logical to get exactly what you want given how much time you'll be shooting it and spending time with your cheek attached to it.

Hunting, not as much as long as it's reliable and fits you well. And isn't cold to the touch.

Reactions: A_USER_NAME
That was an excellent break down. I shoot frequently but I do not really do any competitions right now. Maybe I’m the future. When you break it down liek that though only makes sense to get a custom.

Maybe ask around because you might be better off getting what you need for a hunting rifle and going short action for a comp/plinker.

Will be a lot cheaper in the long run in terms of powder/barrel life/shoulder life

You make a great point. However I already have a custom 308 that I love so now I need to waste more money on a larger round......
Thank you all for your input I think you are all right I may as well just go full custom and never look back

So I have a dilemma and I am seeing if anyone has any experience on either. I am going to get a new rifle in 300wm (yes I want that round so let’s not discuss the rounds that are better etc..).
I want this rifle to be a good long range hunting rifle 800-1k yards
It is going to be short 20in and threaded for suppressor. Also it has to be left handed.
My two options I can’t decide on.

Buy a Bergara b14 for about $1000 Get the barrel cut to 20in see how it shoots and over time possibly true action replace barell maybe even a new stock over the years.

option two. dont even waste money on the Bergara and just get a full custom rifle (Defiance action McMillan stock etc... (I have a great gunsmith)

in your opinions do you think I will be remotely happy with the Bergara as an accurate 1k yard rifle of should I just pay once cry once and get a full on custom rifle with defiance action.

LOVE my Masterpiece Arms 300-WMBA ... gave me my "bucket list" 1-mile shot this summer. Terrific barrel ... very "customizable" chassis. The TriggerTech trigger is amazing. Mine is adjusted to 1.4 lbs. The whole setup is expensive, but ... seeing the red light flash at 1,760 yards ... is priceless.

Plus one for go custom. Spent a lot of money toward factory rifles that would have been better spent toward a custom. Only reason I spent the money on the factory rifles was because I already owned them and was testing the water for long distance. There damn good rifles now but I would do it differently today. JM2C