• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dilemma on scope choice

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Blackhawk, Ca
I've been tasked to pick a scope for my nephews 300prc build. It's a graduation gift from his Dad. The rifle is built on a defiance ruckus, Mesa precision stock, Bartlein carbon 26in. The use of the rifle will be for elk mule deer and everything in N/A. He goes to school in Bozeman MT and will have access to shoot as far as rifle will allow....
The budget for the scope is essentially unlimited. I've been looking at VX6 4-24, mk5 3-18, Zeiss V6 3-18, atcar 4-16/5-25, ZCO 4-20. I keep going back and forth between the lighter Leupy and Zeiss vs heavier atacr and zco. If the weight penalty is worth better glass and dependability then I'll go that route. But if it's not that much better then I'll go the lighter options. Any and all advice is appreciated

There is a lot of personal preference in hunting rifle scopes.

FFP vs SFP
Weight
Magnification range
Etc

For hunting I'd personally prioritize lightweight with a magnification that starts on the lower end.

You can take a look at Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 for a hunting scope option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major Wader
After weeks of indecision, looking through my ZCO527 and XTR3 back to back, I bought another XTR3 yesterday. Not to necessarily suggest that particular scope, but if hunting is the main purpose, the extra quality that the ZCO undoubtedly delivers is simply unnecessary. If weight is a concern, the VX6HD you listed is great in SFP, or perhaps the Razor LHT 4.5-22 in FFP.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Anytime I hear unlimited budget for optic and ZCO is mentioned. ZCO will get the vote

I have a NF Atacr 4-16 and it’s a great optic as well

They are however some of the heaviest

I’d suggest an illuminated reticle if your going with any FFP scope for hunting. I do use mine on my NF now and then

Reactions: gebhardt02
....talk to your nephew in a discreet way and find out what his preferences are in focal plane, reticle and other factors involved in choosing a scope. If it isn't one he'd like it just becomes one of those gifts put aside. With an unlimited budget you could get anything on the market, make it one HE likes/wants...

Reactions: W54/XM-388
....talk to your nephew in a discreet way and find out what his preferences are in focal plane, reticle and other factors involved in choosing a scope. If it isn't one he'd like it just becomes one of those gifts put aside. With an unlimited budget you could get anything on the market, make it one HE likes/wants...
Fuck this advice. Buy him a ZCO or TT and if he bitches about it just repo it from him and get him a nice Fuddy Leupold VX2.

We’ll know I’m leaning on getting the ZCO 420. I was afraid the weight penalty wouldn’t be worth it but from the sounds of it everyone here would pick it. The TT also looks great but is it enough to shoot steel past 1500-1800?

for the guys here with the ZCO which reticle would you go with hunting in mind?

if price is no object, i would suggest a lightweight hunting scope, and a top tier target scope that can see out as far as that thing will shoot.

We’ll know I’m leaning on getting the ZCO 420. I was afraid the weight penalty wouldn’t be worth it but from the sounds of it everyone here would pick it. The TT also looks great but is it enough to shoot steel past 1500-1800?

for the guys here with the ZCO which reticle would you go with hunting in mind?

If you're getting the 4-20, might as well get the 527... look at the size and weight. I've got the "3" reticle with the ranging funnel.

For hunting TT315M or if he doesn’t mind an extra 7oz or so ZCO 420… I’d go TT315M if it were me. I played the heavy 34-36oz scopes on hunting guns before. I’ll shave weight wherever I can, especially since I run suppressed 100% of the time

Last edited:
If you're getting the 4-20, might as well get the 527... look at the size and weight. I've got the "3" reticle with the ranging funnel.
I’ve been saving up for the 3 myself. I really dig that 12 o’clock floating vagina.

Reactions: Chickentoast
Can’t believe nobody has mentioned March Scopes here. I’m running a 3-24 F1 with illuminated reticle on my 300 PRC. Couldn’t be happier with the weight, glass, and overall build quality for a hunting rifle.

I have 2 boys going to school in Bozeman-GO CATS!

Reactions: Gobears16
I’ve been saving up for the 3 myself. I really dig that 12 o’clock floating vagina.
They have a new reticle where they removed the vagina. Everything else about the reticle is the same.

Maybe in a few years I'll get one.

To the OP
With an unlimited budget, look at ZCO and Tangent Theta. If you are concerned about weight, get the smaller 4-20 or 3-15 versions.

I wouldn't bother asking your nephew what to get him unless he's a scope snob like us. Both of those companies make scopes that will be considered the top of the heap for at least another decade.

ZCO
If he doesn’t like it, I’ll trade him anything from my “hunting” supply

Reactions: CSTactical
They have a new reticle where they removed the vagina. Everything else about the reticle is the same.

Maybe in a few years I'll get one.

To the OP
With an unlimited budget, look at ZCO and Tangent Theta. If you are concerned about weight, get the smaller 4-20 or 3-15 versions.

I wouldn't bother asking your nephew what to get him unless he's a scope snob like us. Both of those companies make scopes that will be considered the top of the heap for at least another decade.
The nephew is hooked on everything hunting and fishing (me 15years ago) plus he lives in the best state for all things awesome. He trust me to pick the best and there’s no doubt ZCO and TT are all that. His dad told me get him something that’ll last a lifetime. I’m sure either of these will do just that.

now I’m researching to just go up to the 527 if I’m going ZCO hahaha ughh so many choices

Reactions: CSTactical
Lightweight stock and barrel and now the heaviest scope possible, LOL. Unless the hunt will all be done from the road, the ZCO is just too much scope.
Has the lad shot long range before? Familiar with dialing and using mils? You might be handicapping the young man…
The ZCO is one of the best scopes on the market but not for a lightweight hunting rig. Just my humble opinion.

Lightweight stock and barrel and now the heaviest scope possible, LOL. Unless the hunt will all be done from the road, the ZCO is just too much scope.
Has the lad shot long range before? Familiar with dialing and using mils? You might be handicapping the young man…
The ZCO is one of the best scopes on the market but not for a lightweight hunting rig. Just my humble opinion.
He wants a legacy rifle to be passed down and remember all the game he’s killed with it, from what it sounds like.
He’ll adapt. It’ll give him something to work at and “perfect”.
If he can’t carry an extra 8oz in scope to have the best of the best then why even get a custom rifle. Just get a cheaper hunting rifle and VX3 and say happy graduation and welcome to mediocrity.

No I definitely respect your opinion. I went lightweight on everything i could on the rifle build while not sacrificing accuracy. I have the same build in a VX5 on 6.5 PRC and comes in at 8.5lb all up. Going with a ZCO it should bring it right around 10ish.
He wants to shoot long range 1300+ and has done it many times with my 28Nos. He’s not an expert like many here but will go all in once it’s his rifle.

Wow, you might have well asked if you should get a ford or a chevy!! I personally own several VX6's and would not hesitate for one instant on another one, for hunting. I don't think they can be beat in that environment. If he is going to use the rifle as a long range precision rifle as well, then maybe a 1st fp would be better, possibly a mark 5, I really like mine!

No I definitely respect your opinion. I went lightweight on everything i could on the rifle build while not sacrificing accuracy. I have the same build in a VX5 on 6.5 PRC and comes in at 8.5lb all up. Going with a ZCO it should bring it right around 10ish.
He wants to shoot long range 1300+ and has done it many times with my 28Nos. He’s not an expert like many here but will go all in once it’s his rifle.
Looks like you’ve found an answer for his dad. Set him up for confidence and success for a lifetime. Hopefully he’ll appreciate it and excel.

ANo I definitely respect your opinion. I went lightweight on everything i could on the rifle build while not sacrificing accuracy. I have the same build in a VX5 on 6.5 PRC and comes in at 8.5lb all up. Going with a ZCO it should bring it right around 10ish.
Then get him a ZCO or TT. Our local optics expert determined the TT to be better optically and have better feeling turrets.

I don't think he'll mine a few more ounces when hunting and he'll probably end up getting a heavier stock and barrel for serious target shooting. 300WM has some good kick to it.

ZCO weighs a pound more than the Razor LHT. Splitting the difference, you're at Mk5 and AMG weight, and just a few ounces off of XTR3 and March Wide Angle 4.5-28. I think the LHT makes the most sense for the build (balance more than total weight), and his intended uses (FFP), and the March 2nd, if more target than hunting.

Just wondering is he going to be back packing in 5 to 10 miles? What is his hunting style? I think that makes a huge difference. If I had a chance at a zco or tt no brainer even with the added weight and specially since he's young.

ZCO or TT. Nothing else needs consideration with that kind of budget.

I love the mark 5 for something that gets you 99% there, but if you can afford the extra 1%, get it.

ZCO weighs a pound more than the Razor LHT. Splitting the difference, you're at Mk5 and AMG weight, and just a few ounces off of XTR3 and March Wide Angle 4.5-28. I think the LHT makes the most sense for the build (balance more than total weight), and his intended uses (FFP), and the March 2nd, if more target than hunting.
Except his opinion is he’ll be all in for long range shooting and potentially competing, where he’ll be spending his paycheck trying to ADD weight 🤣

Just wondering is he going to be back packing in 5 to 10 miles? What is his hunting style? I think that makes a huge difference. If I had a chance at a zco or tt no brainer even with the added weight and specially since he's young.
Well he’s young and can hump the weight haha. He actually pulled one of the best elk tags this year (Wyoming super tag) and will be putting this to use very very soon. After this tag he’ll hunt all over the west. I bought him a Barrett fieldcraft 6.5cm with Leupold vx5 3-15 firedot for his high school graduation that he’ll use if he has to go real deep on his future backcountry hunts.

I have no doubt he can hump a 10-11lb rifle if need be. I’m sure he’ll swap scopes when he gets addicted to long range shooting.

For the guys running the ZCO 420 on hunting rigs which rings are running? His stock isn’t adjustable so want to keep it low as possible. The action is defiance ruckus 20moa rail.

Well he’s young and can hump the weight haha. He actually pulled one of the best elk tags this year (Wyoming super tag) and will be putting this to use very very soon. After this tag he’ll hunt all over the west. I bought him a Barrett fieldcraft 6.5cm with Leupold vx5 3-15 firedot for his high school graduation that he’ll use if he has to go real deep on his future backcountry hunts.

I have no doubt he can hump a 10-11lb rifle if need be. I’m sure he’ll swap scopes when he gets addicted to long range shooting.
Oh nice hopefully he gets a good one let us know how that plays out. Yeah I started out hunting my whole life then started shooting steel and shooting longer and longer now my rifle is a target rifle that I switch a barrel for hunting still a 12 to 13 pound rifle for hunting. Shooting long range is addictive and became more my focus with my rifle. If he has a back pack rifle I say go for the best scope on this build since it's a do all setup. I have a do all set up and went with the minox lr

I have a ZCO420 and it’s awesome. I initially bought it for a lightweight hunting rifle (long action). I used lightweight components where I could to account for heavier items elsewhere (scope). For my setup, mounting was problematic and I moved the ZCO to a different rifle. Even though you didnt ask, I’d rethink that Mesa stock. A Monte Carlo heel won’t help to manage recoil.

I currently have a Tangent Theta 3-15x50 M on that hunting rifle. Overall I like the Zero Compromise better, but the Tangent fits better for that specific rifle/application (at least for me).

I’ve had both the 3.6-18 Mk5 and the 4-16x42 ATACR. Both are good scopes, but I wouldn’t consider either if budget is of no concern.

Although Kahles doesn’t get a lot of love on this forum. The K525i is a great optic. I had it on my hunting rifle before and filled several tags. My only complaints seem to have been addressed by the new DLR.

It sounds like from your follow up responses that this might actually be used more for target shooting rather than hunting
(Considering you are fairly concerned with 1500yard + shooting which nobody is going to be doing hunting at.)

Here would be my suggestions, assuming he wants FFP which he probably does if he's doing a lot of target shooting:

ZCO ZC527
Tangent Theta TT525P
March D42HV56WFIML
March D28HV52WFIML ** Note this one is a bit shorter and lighter than the rest and so would be an interesting choice to go with for hunting as well as target shooting.

Both the March ones will have a wider field of view than the top two.

You would be well served spending a couple hours watching stuff on Ilya's youtube channel as he has really good reviews of all the top end stuff

Reactions: Gil P.
The nephew is hooked on everything hunting and fishing (me 15years ago) plus he lives in the best state for all things awesome. He trust me to pick the best and there’s no doubt ZCO and TT are all that. His dad told me get him something that’ll last a lifetime. I’m sure either of these will do just that.

now I’m researching to just go up to the 527 if I’m going ZCO hahaha ughh so many choices

Feel free to call us at 916-670-1103 and we can help you choose the best option :)

(Edit: Whoops, I already responded earlier and missed it)

Last edited:
Get him a ZCO And a TT. Put them both on Bobro QD Mounts. Have him try both. It will be fun. I bet he wants to keep both. But if you need to sell one you will not lose much on the PX hear.

Seems like a pretty nice build.
It likely won't be shot a whole lot at the range. It seems like an extremely light, handy long range hunting rifle.
That light weight is not conducive to firing lots of rounds at the range.
The PRC will also make fairly short work of that barrel, the Proofs are great barrels, but not immune to changing POI when they get really hot, which will happen if this is going to the range for comps.

Last edited:
It looks like you got your answer so how about we continue to derail this thread a little bit?

Why the Mesa stock?
Why 300 PRC? A lightweight rifle would be much nicer to shoot if it was chambered in 6.5 PRC and can still be used to kill just about anything in N/A.

Both cartridges are barrel burners so they won't last a lifetime, unless they are only shot during hunting season.

It looks like you got your answer so how about we continue to derail this thread a little bit?

Why the Mesa stock?
Why 300 PRC? A lightweight rifle would be much nicer to shoot if it was chambered in 6.5 PRC and can still be used to kill just about anything in N/A.

Both cartridges are barrel burners so they won't last a lifetime, unless they are only shot during hunting season.
Yes I agree shooting this 300 PRC for long range sessions won't be the most ideal for comfort and precision. I went with Mesa stock because I've got 7 other builds with this stock and I think it's the best off hand to prone stock. I've got a couple manners EH1's (which are great for prone but suck off hand or quick shots) and a few McMillan sporter which ar great for off hand and shots under under 3-400 yard ranges.
I went with 300 PRC because for elk it's always better to be over gunner then under gunner (I understand shot placement is everything and have seen first hand elk killed with 6.5PRC at 700+). We have access to shoot as far as the eye can see on our property and he wants to have fun throwing bullets at 1500-2000 yards. I believe with this set up he can have fun and ease into ultra long range. He'll have the means and opportunity to buy guns down the road to do whatever he wants. This gun will "pop" his cherry into seeing first hand what custom long range equipment can do. He's rung steel with my rifles and wants his own to start his addiction.
I love all the help. As many have said if I go with ZCO or TT he can swap the scope down the road and fill his needs as he sees fit. I'm been lucky to have the open check book to get him the best elk/mule deer package as possible.