• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dillion reloading

Ogallala_1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2008
Ogallala ne,
Any one have any ideas on how to get extruded powder to feed through the dillion powder drop? Its not dropping on my 223 and im frustrated. Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.

John

Re: dillion reloading

I recommend you either switch powders or throwers. The Hornady thrower throws Varget perfectly.

I took the powder drop apart and polished everything! everything I could reach with the dremel, powder bar, funnel, the inside of the die. I was using varget on a 650, also what helps is at the bottom of the stroke give it a couple of taps, it should be fine after that

Tape a vibrater to it, Seriously there's pictures around here somewhere........

Try some Ramshot Tac powder

It flows like water through the measure.

I had the same issues with Varget in 223

I have been using IMR 4895 stick powder for .223 on a Dillon 550. Powder dispenser and everything is stock, not polished at all. Maybe 1 round out of 100 will "bridge" in the case neck and spill powder all over. But I probably wouldn't use anything with grains any bigger than that.

But when you pull the handle, pause for a second at the bottom of the stroke to give the powder time to flow. You sometimes can actually hear it filling the case. It is not instantaneous, like it is with ball powder.

I also gave up on stick powder with the Dillion PM. Just got tired of having to clean up the mess when the powder spills. Tried all od the tricks mentioned. Now I either use 748 or for precision loads with 4895 stop using the Dillon PM station and use a RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster Combo then resume with the Dillion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tape a vibrater to it, Seriously there's pictures around here somewhere........ </div></div>

Some of my best work
rednecksdemotivationalp.jpg

I have a 650 that sits on top of one of my cabinets. Polish, UNiTEK, you name it ( besides the dildo trick I didn't do). I could never get it to drop the right amount of powder. I like the loads to be consistant. Not impressed with the Dillion. Some people are but Not me. Single stage all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kz45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took the powder drop apart and polished everything! everything I could reach with the dremel, powder bar, funnel, the inside of the die. I was using varget on a 650, also what helps is at the bottom of the stroke give it a couple of taps, it should be fine after that </div></div>

If you use an extruded powder in any powder dump or progressive press, you need a small extruded powder (R-15, Varget). And even then it will still not meter 100% accurate. Like stated, ball powders will meter tons better than any extruded powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jet_lagged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using IMR 4895 stick powder for .223 on a Dillon 550. Powder dispenser and everything is stock, not polished at all. Maybe 1 round out of 100 will "bridge" in the case neck and spill powder all over. But I probably wouldn't use anything with grains any bigger than that. </div></div>IMR 4895 is a pretty big kernel. So, 1 out of a 100 seems very low to me. If you weighed ever charge after you throw it, I think you'll see a lot of variation. I'd be cautious using this powder from a progressive, because 1 round with a half charge, or an over charge from the previous case not dumping all the powder, and you've got bigger issues.

I really don't see that much variation with the IMR. Case capacity is the limiting factor, so I can see the powder in the case, so really no chance of a half filled case, as long as I take a moment to look before I advance it to the seating station.

Sometimes, the case looks overly full, but when I vibrate it a little, the powder settles to the same case level as the rest of the cases.

And when I put a few on the scale to look for deviation, it is normally with .1 or .2gn, so ok for stuff that is only being used at 200yds or less out of an AR.

But I do want to use ball powder for obvious reasons, hence my post about AA2460 a while back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...because 1 round with a half charge, or an over charge from the previous case not dumping all the powder, and you've got bigger issues.</div></div>

If the powder bridges causing a half charge, you'll know it on the next round when powder spills all over the shell plate.

has anyone tried extending the powder drop tube? I think if it had to fall farther it might end up being more consistant.
what do you think?

My Dillon is the old RL450 B, and it never did well with any stick type powder. It gets used for pistol ammo only these days.

There are numerous adaptors on the market to adapt various makes of powder measures to the Dillon Press - should tell you something.

All my long range stuff gets the single stage treatment, one at a time. If there's a problem at the target, I know it is not my ammo.

Paul

IMHO, much of the fuss with the Dillon measure involves static electricity.

I clean and polish the powder path, use a static spray on that path, and electrically ground the press to help drain static buildup. Using Win and Ramshot powders is very good advice. TAC and W748 for IMR-4895, Big Game and W760 for IMR-4064 and Varget, and Hunter for IMR/H-4350.

The vibrator comment isn't all that far off. I have done loading with the case cleaner running, and charges <span style="font-style: italic">seem</span> more consistent, but you gotta make <span style="font-style: italic">dang</span> sure your scale is on a solid base.

When you throw your powder, pause at full stroke and let it all fall.

Greg