• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 1050 destroyed 9mm shellplate: Any ideas?

rmantoo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2014
147g power coated
3.2g BA10

Running at 1200 rph on a RL1050 w/a Mark 7 X last night and this happened.

The digital clutch kicked in, but I have it set relatively high, and there was a loud bang (not primer detonation, more like a mechanical release).

It knocked the bottom rim of about 40% of one spot on my 9mm shell plate. It was the decapping/sizing position, #1. The case that was in that spot was fine, with only a slight deformation of the rim.

Took everything apart, couldn't find anything wrong. Re-assembled everything, and ran another 50 rounds, 1 at a time, skipping that spot on the shellplate, and it ran fine.

I've owned this press for about 15 years and loaded easily a million+rounds on it. The gentleman I bought it from was the original owner, and he was also a competitive shooter, so I'm sure he'd loaded a ton on it, too.

I ran pretty well for me up until this incident. Never anything like this. 6B8C645F-C5FA-457A-857D-052AC0BFEF8C.jpegC2DD92F8-3234-41E3-81EE-CFAF178F530B.jpeg16FB1FB7-DD19-4D3A-B759-8A52C38F3C3C.jpeg

Any ideas what happened?

I ordered a FFB shellplate just a minute ago. Hopefully that will work for me and this will never happen again.