• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 1200 trimmer cord, help!!!

2clicks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
DILLON 1200 trimmer

Well I've waited all week for my trimmer lock nut to show up for the trimmer die. Only to have the trimmer power cord popping my gfi outlet. The motor starts to run then the GFI outlet pops. So I disconnected the cord from the trimmer motor and the outlet still pops when turning the on switch on.

Unfortunately I bought the motor and cord here on the Hide and have no receipt. When I first got it, it started and ran fine just now getting around to getting it set up and MUTHER F......

It's going to take a real pro to know a short cut to fixing this cord. It converts A/C power for a D/C power motor. It's more than just a regular cord replacement. Looks like there's a couple capacitors, I believe that's what they are, in the switch box. Supposedly a new cord is around $50+

Any suggestions yes I already have a giraud....

Re: Dillon 1200 trimmer cord, help!!!

Have you tried it plugged into a different outlet? <span style="font-weight: bold">ANYTHING</span> electrical can fail; I've replaced more than one defective GFI outlet.

I've tried 3 different outlets in 3 different rooms.. same story. I'm wondering if the switch box got dropped or knocked into unknowingly, damaging it somehow. It's definitely in the power cord or switch box. I'm leaning towards the switch box. The on/off switch box is (in line) in the middle of the power cord. It pops the GFI outlets without being connected to the motor. And upon initial inspection it ran fine off of the outlet I'm trying to use now.

I'm thinking the motor is fine it spins freely and is not bound up, which was my initial assumption. Everyone knows how a bogged down table saw pops a circuit breaker.

You can't use it in a gfci outlet or on a circuit with a GFCI or AFCI breaker, it has to be on a regular outlet on a regular circuit breaker. The trimmer cord has a rectifier in the box to make it DC current from AC current. Rectifiers send back a signal to trip the GFCI.

You will be good to go in a regular outlet. I am guessing you are in the basement of your house, which should have all GFCIs. You will need to change out one with a regular outlet or install a permanant regular outlet in the ceiling to be used just for the 1200. This is good to go per NEC and what I do.

Mine does that too, and all the outlets in my shop are GFCI. The Dillon trimmer will trip a GFCI circuit. I called Dillon and they explained the exact same story about converting AC to DC.

So,.. when I trim brass, I do it all on one batch, and run a extension cord from a regular outlet to my shop. Its not a elegant or permanent solution, and makes me think a Girard may have been the better way to go.