• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon .308 headspace gauge dimensions

Re: Dillon .308 headspace gauge dimensions

Thanks for bringing this up.

I've been using a Dillon case gage for .308 Win for about 12 years or so, since I used to own a select-fire FN-FAL and occasionally load belts to shoot on a friend's 1919.

I've processed several tens of thousands of cases with a Dillon carbide die set setting up with the gage and a 6" steel rule held perpendicular to the base end. I slide the square end of the rule along the base of the gage onto the case head and feel for it to stop against first the case head, then the ridge on the other side of the gage to make sure the cases are coming out between the high and low values. It works.

What I've always found interesting is, factory ammo is set at or below the minimum headspace (completed, new cartridges drop farther into the gage) when checked with that gage. Black Hills, Federal, Winchester, even South African milsurp, Cavim, others. Figure it's better to have more headspace than less, but it's just a point of interest.

Re: Dillon .308 headspace gauge dimensions

I found out that 1.634" is max deminsion from the datum line on the shoulder to the edge of the top step with the Dillon .308 case gauge.

Reactions: Dolomite