• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 and powders for 308

Mr45auto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2007
Oregon City OR
Yup, I'm looking for impossible or at least unlikely. I want a powder that will flow like water and meter perfectly or superbly close through my Dillon 550 AND throw 308 win 175SMKs to the equivalent velocity I get from 44.5gr of RL15. Both RL15 and Varget are accurate loads in my rifle but the velocity variations are likely causing me some issues when the range gets long. Outside of buying a 3BR powder measure and charging seperately from the press is there a powder thats' as temp stable as Varget or RL15 and produces good results in a gas gun? I'm really wanting to stay with the 175 SMKs for now as I want a load that's good to 1K.

I've tried another stick powder or two 4064? and it didnt shoot as well as Varget or RL15.

Re: Dillon 550 and powders for 308

Ramshot TAC 43.5gr in FED brass does very good things.The dillon will throw within .1 either way and out to 500 yds I have seen no down side.The TAC flows like salt and seems resonably temp stable.

+1 Ramshot TAC
H-380 and Win 748 flow well but temp. wise I think Ramshot TAC will trump them both...

I loaded with TAC long ago but gave up on it with soft fed brass. I now run winchester brass and have a bit of TAC left so I guess I'll give it a try and see if it's better.

Alas, I feel your pain.

I also like the RL-15 and Varget for the 175MK, and rely on the Dillon 550 to dispense powder. Don't get me wrong, I love my 550, but it doesn't produce the accuracy I require either.

I interrupt the process and hand trickle to my liking.

I'll be watching this thread to see the suggestions.

B

I use one of the Whidden tool heads with the floating dies + Uniquetek tool head clamping screws. The Whidden tool head came with one of the pink MTM multi-purpose powder funnels with the little flange turned off, which enables it to fit just perfectly down inside a Dillon powder die. It rides up when the ram raises the case, and you can dump your charges down it right into the case. For charging with Varget and similar powders, I use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 automatic dispenser with the McD straw mod and some tweaks to the speed programming (easily available via a search on this forum). I skip a station as described by D. Tubb some years back so the sizing step doesn't interfere with or mask the more sensitive seating operation - sizing in station #1, powder @ #2, #3 empty, micrometer seater @ #4. Works well enough for F/TR out to 6, and Palma out to 1k.

The whole operation is slower than whacking them out the way a 550 was originally envisioned to be used, but still faster (overall) than a single stage press - basically by the time I place a bullet in a freshly charged case, rotate the shell plate, decap/size/prime a new case, rotate the shell plate, raise the ram up to position the new case for powder, pick the ejected round out of the 'Out' bin, wipe any residual case lube off and set it in the ammo box... the Chargemaster is either done or within a few seconds of done. Much faster wouldn't really matter... it'd just be waiting on me.

If I'm really being fussy (1k F/TR), the cases get sized/decapped separately, ran through a stainless steel media cleaning regimen, trimmed on the Giraud, and the charges weighed on a lab scale. Adds to the process, but the results are generally worth it.

If you want to throw charges of anything other than ball powder directly on the 550 with some degree of accuracy, you might try polishing the internals of the stock powder measure... but I'd recommend pitching that POS and getting an RCBS Uniflow and one of their case-activated powder drop (CAPD) accessories. The thing has a hella-stout spring on it, and actually throws charges of Varget/RE-15 more consistently on the press than I can by hand (at least with that measure). Not really up to what I consider acceptable for LR F/TR, but an improvement over the stock Dillon measure, and better than using ball powder for LR work.

YMMV,

Monte

Win W748 and W760 (aka H-414), Ramshot TAC and Big Game.

Greg

Have you thought of the Alliant Power Pro? I've been messing with it in 22-250 and 308 w/168, 175, and 178 tops. Its been a performer so far. Waiting to see with the colder temps here in fairbanks if it will disappoint. Keeping my fingers crossed (i shouldn't have to, the maker told me it was good stuff)

I would be more concerned about the priming than the propellant in Fairbanks temps.