• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550/ case trimmer

jetracer013

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2014
Philadelphia PA
Hello,
I have been using my Dillon 550 to reload pistol rounds for a couple of years now, and now that I have started shooting a bolt gun, I want to begin reloading for precision (308). My question is, is the 550 and the electric case trimmer a suitable option for re-sizing and trimming brass or, does this combo lack the precision I need to be successful. I have read (briefly) that the Whidden floating toolhead will help with the re-sizing and concentricity. Can I mount the trimmer in the same head?

My plan is to begin by processing brass then move on to reloading it as I gather knowledge and supplies.

Thanks,
ML

For precision I would buy a single stage, at least on the 650 the bottom plate does have alittle movement in it and to me that just doesn't scream precision.

Hello,
I have been using my Dillon 550 to reload pistol rounds for a couple of years now, and now that I have started shooting a bolt gun, I want to begin reloading for precision (308). My question is, is the 550 and the electric case trimmer a suitable option for re-sizing and trimming brass or, does this combo lack the precision I need to be successful. I have read (briefly) that the Whidden floating toolhead will help with the re-sizing and concentricity. Can I mount the trimmer in the same head?

My plan is to begin by processing brass then move on to reloading it as I gather knowledge and supplies.

Thanks,
ML
Use my 550 for precision reloading. I just use it as a as a single stage. I would use a different trimmer for precision and then use the 550 as a single stage. Get some screws from Unique Tek I think they are called. They have great upgrades for the Dillion to reduce the movement. I have awesome tolerances with my 550

Dillon case trimmer for bulk stuff would be fine. I've eyed it several times in their store and just don't see it being quite the combo I would use for precision. With quality dies you can load good, concentric, and consistent ammo on a 550/650/1050 if you know what you are doing. But I will say you will be better served by a single stage for precision use as you essentially turn your progressive into a single stage press with the manner in which you end up using it. If you're going to be doing some decent amount of rifle loading, do yourself a favor and just buy the Giraud trimmer from the get go. Trims, deburs, and chamfers all in one quick pass and does so much more easily and precisely than many other options.

I would not fool with the Whidden tool heads or the Unique Tek "fixes" for the tool heads. The factory setup allows for some float in the tool head for smoother operation and to help better center the case as it is raised up into the die. (Single stages do this too, just in reverse as the die is locked in place while the shell holder is allowed movement to better align the case. The shell plate of a progressive can't do this so letting the toolhead have some movement is a good thing in my book. You're going to see better improvements in concentricity and case life by ensuring that you are properly lubing your brass and setting up your dies correctly (Especially important if using a full-size die with the expander ball still in it)

I could have kept this shorter, but my recommendation is to buy a single stage press as to buy a good single stage. I used to load all ammo on a progressive, not any more. The only thing I still load on a progressive that qualifies for precision is 223 match loadings for use in an SPR, but I load it on a 650 with a prep tool head and a loading tool head. I won't load my bolt gun ammo on anything but my single stage anymore.

Precision rifle reloading entails PRECISION at every step along the way. My Dillon 550B does nothing to promote precision in my mind. (Others use it and claim great success.) Its great for pistol and plinking fodder. I want to perform each required step with PRECISION, uniformity, and reproducibility. You will eventually find a system and the tools for that system that suit your needs. Single stage presses and cutters that will allow you to trim and load every case with consistency will build solid rounds. A do-it-all system is not likely to produce the results you desire.

I use the Dillon trimmer but it's mounted on my Rockchucker. I have no problem getting precision loads with my 550B, But I remove the case from the powder drop station and use the RCBS Chargemaster to drop my powder charges the reinsert in the 550B for the last 2 stations

I process .223/5.56 brass on a 1050 using a Dillon RT1200 trimmer. The way I have the tool head setup allows me to get really really nicely prepped brass with minimal work.

I load on a single stage Forster though for precision stuff.

I am still new to precision shooting and still working on building the rifle and finding factory ammo that will group decently. This weekend I will make my second trip (ever) to the range with a bolt gun. My plan was to get a single stage press for the actual loading aspect. At this point, I am really only concerned with the brass prep, it may take me a year or more before I produce a loaded round which I am ok with. From what I am hearing, I should be looking at a different trimmer. Is the Giraud the best option? Can any of the others also be converted to cut the meplat?

I use the Dillon trimmer but it's mounted on my Rockchucker. I have no problem getting precision loads with my 550B, But I remove the case from the powder drop station and use the RCBS Chargemaster to drop my powder charges the reinsert in the 550B for the last 2 stations

Does that combination produce uniform lengths? How much variance do you see?

I've never used one, but as I understand the Dillon it will size and trim, but you'll still have to do separate chamfer/deburr steps. I have a Gracey trimmer (I don't think the Giraud was around when I bought it) that trims, chamfers and deburrs in one step - it is VERY fast at what it does, and the Giraud is supposed to be even better. If I were going to have to do 2 steps no matter what, I think I'd separate the sizing from all the case mouth work.

And frankly, unless I had a huge pile of brass that I absolutely needed to size and trim all at once, I would be sorely tempted to start with one of the hand cranked lathe-type trimmers of known precision.

BTW, as I heard the story, Mike Dillon designed his first progressive press to feed his machine guns, and I sometimes think I can still see a bit of that residual DNA in many of his products, including the size/trim die. While I love my two Square Deals (that are dedicated to 9mm and 38 Special) and wish I could have afforded to go down the 650 path for the rest of my general reloading, for my long range rifle loads I only use single stage presses.

Does that combination produce uniform lengths? How much variance do you see?

As long as you tighten the 1200 trimmer on the Rockchuckerso the trimmer does not twist when you switch it on it is always dead on the 2.005 I set the trim length to. As mentioned you still have to chamfer and debur if you use stout loads. My loads are always on the light side so i don't usual have much to trim and require little or no D & C.

The problem with the 550 and prep is the tool head size. You can get a universal de-cap die in station 1(no need for a full size die since the trim die full length sizes) and the trimmer in 3, but then station 4 basically is useless. With the Dillon trim dies you HAVE TO open the case mouth back up after it since they are cut with a size die reamer which is tight in the neck. Not a problem with a size die because you have an expander ball after to open up the neck to set neck tension. Big problem with the trimmer die.

On my 1050 I have a mandrel die from 21st century shooting that opens the neck back up afterwords and sets neck tension. It turns out killer brass. I dont know if you could get one in station 4 of a 550b or if the vacuum attachement is in the way(ive got a 550b, but never tried it and dont want to take apart my 1050). If you can get one in station 4 of a 550b(the 21st century die is pretty small), I would run universal de-prime in station 1, trimmer in station 3, 21st century mandrel die in station 4. That would turn out some pretty nice brass.