• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 overthrowing powder

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I have been using my Dillon 550b for a couple of years for 9mm and 223 without any problems. Today, I noticed that every 5th round my Dillon went bonkers and threw enough powder to overflow the case (Using Varget for 223). No problems earlier this morning. I am in the process of emptying and cleaning everything, but I was curious if anyone has had this problem - and in particular, any fixes! Thanks for any help>

varget will bridge in that powder thrower unless you are really slow. Like one second up, one second down. And realize that every overflow has a corresponding underflow.

FWIW, Double Alpha makes an improved powder funnel for 223, the part that goes inside the powder die, and it will not bridge as often. But Varget is a pretty tough powder in those throwers.

varget will bridge in that powder thrower unless you are really slow. Like one second up, one second down. And realize that every overflow has a corresponding underflow.
This is what is happening. I've had good success with short extruded powders in a Dillon measure but Varget has been too finicky.

This is what is happening. I've had good success with short extruded powders in a Dillon measure but Varget has been too finicky.
8208 xbr is about perfect for extruded in a Dillon. I also use 5744, which may be slightly bigger, but not much. It's a great powder thrower for ball powder.

8208 xbr is about perfect for extruded in a Dillon. I also use 5744, which may be slightly bigger, but not much. It's a great powder thrower for ball powder.
8208XBR is a terrible powder ;)

I sung the praises of it years ago but now that I can't find it on the shelf, it's the worst powder for any use ;) ;)

One thing I did to correct Varget bridging is increase the taper of the stock "A" powder funnel with a 1/2 - 1/8 reamer. The T handle presses out and the cutter fits in a 1/2" drill motor making the process very easy. It not a 1000 round an hour solution, that is, it doesnt speed things up, but with a reasonable tempo, I stopped getting even occasional varget bridging with my 25 grain load.

Capture.JPG