• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550B, absolutely LOVE it

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Long story short, I recently started using a Dillon 550B for handgun cartridges and non-OCD rifle cartridges. I'm still using a Rockchucker for the razors edge precision stuff.

What took me so long? This 550 is a fantastic machine, the only downside is the volume of pistol components I've been consuming as of late :p

I've been using a single stage press (it's all I had) for pistol cartridges for over ten years. Never again:cool:

Before long you'll want to load EVERYTHING on it ! And you'll pretty much be able to ! My cousin had to 100 up me when I got my first 550B, by getting a 650. I call or text him every time I switch calibers, just to let him know how long it DIDN'T take :) When I had both of my 550Bs set up, I'd just leave one for small primers and one for large. Twas a sweet deal.

Welcome to the club buddy. You'll spend much more time shooting now.

Pin your tool heads and float your dies and use it for your OCD-rifle loads too.

I too just recently started using a 550 for 9mm, what a joy compared to the ole rock chucker. Ditto on going through the components quickly.

My only regret regarding the 550 is not getting one many years ago.

Before long you'll want to load EVERYTHING on it ! And you'll pretty much be able to ! My cousin had to 100 up me when I got my first 550B, by getting a 650. I call or text him every time I switch calibers, just to let him know how long it DIDN'T take :) When I had both of my 550Bs set up, I'd just leave one for small primers and one for large. Twas a sweet deal.

Welcome to the club buddy. You'll spend much more time shooting now.

It takes ~10 minutes to switch out a 650, and ~5 to switch out a 550. Not seeing the big deal, there. I own both a 550 and 650. While both are great, the 650 is far superior.

Give me your number and I'll text you when I begin to decap, body size and neck size a 500 pc. batch of precision rifle brass, and then 45 minutes later when I'm done.

I have started using my 550 for precision stuff. I was using two T7's but needed room on the bench when I set up my 550. I use it for single stage processes and it's no different than doing it with the redding. I don't use the measure for stock powers though.

It takes ~10 minutes to switch out a 650, and ~5 to switch out a 550. Not seeing the big deal, there. I own both a 550 and 650. While both are great, the 650 is far superior.

Give me your number and I'll text you when I begin to decap, body size and neck size a 500 pc. batch of precision rifle brass, and then 45 minutes later when I'm done.

I believe you. I'm sure it's quicker to process & load up too. I've never swapped a 650 over. Is that time difference swapping case feeder, primer size & shell holder too ? Seems more complex on the primer side(and harder to fix a problem if one comes up due to the auto-indexing). I imagine I'll have a 650 someday.

I believe you. I'm sure it's quicker to process & load up too. I've never swapped a 650 over. Is that time difference swapping case feeder, primer size & shell holder too ? Seems more complex on the primer side(and harder to fix a problem if one comes up due to the auto-indexing). I imagine I'll have a 650 someday.

Yep, about 10 minutes all up - assuming you've got another toolhead ready to go. Obviously it takes longer to get your toolhead/dies setup if they're not ready to go in a separate toolhead.

The 650 conversion only includes:

Casefeeder plate - lifts out in seconds, and there are only 4... small/large pistol and small/large rifle
casefeeder droptube adaptors - these are just plastic bushings that slip together, and only take a few seconds
Aluminum casefeed adaptor - this thing screws in from the bottom and is the most difficult part of the process, still not tough, but takes a minute
Shellplate feeding ram - the thing that pushes a case into the shellplate. This has to be flipped to switch between pistol/rifle. One screw, takes a minute.
Shell feeding track - lifts right out when you pull back the feeding ram
Shellplate and locator buttons - same deal as a 550, a single setscrew that locks the shellplate shoulder bolt, takes a minute to swap
Primer system - with primer magazine empty, you remove two long screws and lift the entire primer system off the press. Remove a little screw that captivates a clip, pull off the primer feed wheel and replace with the other one (small or large). Put clip back in place, install screw. Drop primer system back onto press, reinstall screws. Takes 2 or 3 minutes.
Primer Ram - Unscrew from below, screw in new one (large/small). Takes 2 minutes because it's not that easy to get at.

Most of the time, you won't be swapping all of this. For example, to swap between, say, 30-06 and 243, you'll keep everthing in place but the casefeeder wheel, the droptube bushings and the toolhead. That conversion literally only take a minute.

The most time consuming swap would be from, say, 30-06 to 9mm, which'll require all of the above items. Still, not a big deal after you do it a couple times.

I've owned a 550B for 9 years and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds with it and have never had any problems. Mostly loading 9mm and .223 now but load a lot of different pistol on it. Plenty fast enough and with loading without any problems it's almost and much fun to load as it is to shoot.

I just bought a 650. Waiting on the strongmount to show up and then I'm off and running towards loading up 1k of M80 ball for the M14. Single stage reloading is too slow to feed that beast. The TMag is on it's way towards being BPCR and LD loading only.

I have had a 550B 6 years now, and just recently moved it to a strong mount. Wish I did a long time ago.

I'm also spoiled, in that Dillon Precision (and Dillon Aero) is only about a half hour drive from my place. Parts and 'stuff' is always close to home :D

The biggest problem I have with the 550 is it not having the nice smooth auto index of the 650. When loading full cases such as 300blk, when you spin the case plate to the next station when the check ball clicks it can spill powder sometimes. The 650 is also nicer for pistol rounds as all you have to do is drop a bullet in, everything else is done for you. I will be getting a 650 in addition to my 550 for loading pistol and my AR cartridges while the 550 will be set up for large primer rounds. Best of all worlds :)

For my 650, I just bought a second primer feed system. Keep one in large and one in small. Two bolts and swap the whole thing.

I also have my main calibers setup with a complete tool head, including powder measure.

I have not timed the conversion. But the case feeder makes reloading so much faster, any time to convert that is not a big deal. And it doesn't take that long.

But i