• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550B & Match Ammo

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
Seeing as I would rather shoot than load ammo, I am interested to know if I can significantly speed up my loading process and still maintain an acceptable amount of precision in my ammo. A busy work schedule, a 2 year old, another kiddo due in May, and copious amounts of travel on the weekends mean that I have limited time to sit down and load "match grade" ammo. I load for 308 and 223 (and 223ai, but that'll stay on my single stage), and am interested in buying a 550B package deal from Brian Enos.

Does anyone use a 550B for loading? Are there any specific upgrades that I should look at? Is a "Quick measure" worth it? Most importantly, does the 550B really cut down on time spent on the bench?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Re: Dillon 550B & Match Ammo

if you're not going to weigh charges, get the adapter and put a uniflow measure on the Dillon. Reserve the Dillon measure for ball powders.

You can still use the dillon while weighing charges; there will be a good increase in production just from processing 4 stations at once. I can manage 150 rounds per hour doing things in this manner.

Go to the handloading tab on the left hand side of this webpage.
Here you will find how one person uses the 550 to load precision loads.

I load all my varmint shooting ammo on a 55oB but the match stuff one at a time on a Hornady LNL single stage. Charges are weighed on a RCBS Chargemaster.
I don't think it is recommended that you use dies like Redding Comp style on a progressive press. I've never tried and don't know the pitfalls.

I use a 550B. I just removed the powder feed and have the RCBS powder measure do the powder measurements. Here is my process, and its pretty quick.

1. heavily lube all my cases, deprime them, resize them and throw them in tumbler.
2. Once my cases are now shiny and free of lube, i then insert one into the press, and click the button to start the powder loading on the scale.
3. Rotate the wheel, pull the handle.
4. Dump powder in shell, lower the handle, press dispense button.
5. Insert new case, rotate wheel, insert bullet, then prime case.
6. Rotate wheel, dump powder and repeat.

I can do 100 loads in no time, with perfect powder measuring..

I have a Dillon 550B and I use it to load my match ammo...bad news is that I use it like a single stage press, I tried to use it with the progressive system and found that I had an unacceptable deviation between rounds, even though the few rounds that I would "spot check" seemed to be very close to the desired weight in powder, I also did a batch late at night one time and wasn't paying attention and my powder thrower ran out of powder and I seated several bullets with little or no powder, luckily I noticed and then my dumb ass got to spend a few hours pulling bullets out of the cases and starting over!

I would not reccomend it for long range stuff, if you are going to be shooting out to 300-500 yards, (and not at moa size targets) probably close enough, if you are going to be stretching the limits of your rifle's capabilities, I would stick to the tried and true methods of weighing each load manually or chargemaster if available and do your due dilligence.

A great deal depends on what dies and what powder you use.

I prefer not to full-length size on my Dillon. If I neck-size only and use Hornady One-Shot case lube, it keeps things moving pretty well. I have also used the Lee Collet Sizing Die with great results. Runout averages under .003" for ammo loaded on these dies in the 550.

And the factory powder measure works splendidly with ball powder. You might consider looking at Ramshot powders...I use TAC and my charges vary less than .2 grains. This powder also has the virtue of burning cleanly. If you must use stick powder, just use a powder-through die with a funnel in the second station and measure your powder just like you would on a single stage and dump it in manually.

Using neck dies or collet dies, lube that doesn't have to be cleaned off prior to loading, and fine ball powder means I can load very good ammunition on my 550b at about 200 rounds an hour. This includes checking charge weights and C.O.A.L. on every 8th-10th round. I could probably get nearly 300 if I just went as fast as I could and skipped the checks. I feel comfortable saying the Dillon more than doubles my output over single stage loading. If full-length sizing is required, I use the Rockchucker for that step and then clean off the cases before running them through the Dillon. I just leave out the sizing die and things run as usual.

For the finest accuracy I can get, I still prefer loading on a single stage, but my Winchester 70 HVF .308 will put ammo loaded on my 550b into sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards, so it's only slightly less precise than fodder from my Rockchucker. My .223 is not as good a shooter as my .308 (Bushmaster with a Varminter upper) and I can't tell <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> difference between cartridges loaded on a single stage or my Dillon from that rifle.

I load ALL my match ammo on a D/550.
shocked.gif

Anyone who sez you can't load match ammo on a Dillon, doesn't know what they are talking about
wink.gif

Respectfully,
LG

LG - PM Sent.

Thanks to all for the data.

Given that you're loading for .223 and .308 you can develop a load with Hodgdon Benchmark which is an "extreme powder" and will throw very accurately from the Dillon Powder throw (especially if polished). If using a coarser powder I recommended weighing charges out to the sides, but still take advantage of running 4 operations at once. My benchmark load for my .223 holds very consistent elevation at 700 and 800 yards all with thrown charges from the dillow auto powder throw.

Runout/Concentricity is another major factor in creating "match" ammo. When you have 4 dies pulling on your shells at once, you need the dies to float. You can accomplish by simply putting rubber o-rings under your locking rings, or taking it up a notch and using a drill press to drill through the locking ring into the tool head and then pinning it in place with a roll pin one thread above flush. These methods will allow each die to individually float.

Many well respected shooters are using loading on the 550B. Less time loading, more ammo to shoot, starts making one a better shooter...Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Runout/Concentricity is another major factor in creating "match" ammo. When you have 4 dies pulling on your shells at once, you need the dies to float. You can accomplish by simply putting rubber o-rings under your locking rings, or taking it up a notch and using a drill press to drill through the locking ring into the tool head and then pinning it in place with a roll pin one thread above flush. These methods will allow each die to individually float. </div></div>

Whidden's Floating Diehead does this. I would imagine that it is easy enough to do it yourself at home if you have a drill press and a few Forster die rings laying around.

Another trick some use is the Uniqueteq clamp system to clamp the tool head to the press (no modification to the press necessary). I think the floating die head used in conjunction with the clamped press is the way to "accurize" the 550B.

BTW I contacted both Uniqueteq and Whidden about getting the Whidden floating die tool head die with the Uniqueteq clamp kit installed (I do not have a drill press). They told me that Uniqueteq would soon be selling the Whidden tool head with the floating die with the clamp kit installed (they currently carry the Whidden tool head with the clamp installed but not the floating die version).

With regard to the RCBS Uniflow, i swapped out the Dillon powder measure for the Uniflow. If you go this route you can use a Hornady case activated powder drop. It is the same thing as the RCBS kit that does the same thing but the Hornady is cheaper. RCBS Uniflow + Hornady case activated powder drop = works like a champ on a Dillon 550B.

Dom

The RL550B is the only press I have ever used since I started reloading in the early 1990's. Most of my ammo has been loaded for match purposes, ranging from 9mm and 45ACP, to .222 Rem, to .30-'06.

I have several Dillon standard automated powder measures, set up according to the ballpark range of powder charges I'll be loading.

I load in a 'mostly progressive' method, regardless of powder types.

I set up the measure to consistently load the charge weight at least a few tenths heavier than the desired charge, weigh each charge, and pinch out/retrickle to get the precise charge in the scale pan. This is reintroduced to the case using a drop tube. The charged case is reinserted into the baseplate notch, and the baseplate is advanced to the next station. All other stages are performed as would be normal for progressive reloading.

This approach results in precise charge weights in as fast a manner as the Dillon can probably produce, and powder kernel configuration has essentially no bearing on the outcome.

Do I sacrifice some concentricity and other absolute precision attributes in my ammo? Probably; but I don't worry much since I also have a strict policy of only using SAAMI spec chambers. There are trade offs, of course. If I were shooting BR and accepting nothing less than absolute accuracy, it would be an issue. I do not, and it isn't.

My key accuracy issues involve case preparation, charge weight, and neck tension. I can manage all of these easily enough using the RL550B, and I like the results a lot.

Greg

I use the 550B but skip the powder measure station for my match loads and throw powder with an RCBS Charge Master then continue. For non match loads I use all 4 stations using the Dillon measure which works OK for W748, not so good with IMR 4895. Used that way without any rushing I can easily do 200 rounds an hour as opposed to 50-60 with the Rock Chucker.

You do NOT want the die to "float".
shocked.gif

There is enough room in the sheel plate to allow each "shell" to line-up with the die.
Keep the shellplate adjusted to where it just turns with out any drag and put some oil on the adjustment screw where it contacs the shellplate.
I use Redding dies for match ammo, on the bushing type I tighten the bushing screw down hard and that will stop run out issues.
Cheers,
LG

You make a really good point there LG. I was taught the floating die trick by a very experienced shooter, so I've always done it.

As far as coarser powder goes, I'm lucky enough to have a Prometheus sitting over my 550B.
wink.gif