• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550B Question

mlturner265

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
Tennessee
I mounted press to the 550/650 strong mount and now I cannot push the handle forward to prime. I have the standard handle and it looks like in pictures I have found the roller handle has some angle to it that may let it pass by the loaded shell slide that the regular handle is hitting. If someone can tell me if this is normal or if I have something wrong or if I need to buy a roller handle.

Re: Dillon 550B Question

From the Dillon support area:

11. Cartridge chute bracket (part # 569) is mounted too far from the bench
a. if not mounted in the proper place the handle will make contact and be prohibited from going forward enough to prime

Sounds just like what you are experiencing.

Thanks for the help. I have to admit I had a blonde moment. I had removed the primer feed while I attached the mount and that allowed to much travel. Reinstalled primer feed and everything is fine. This is my first dillon and it is used so I am trying to get it going. Should be great for 223 plinking ammo.

Use good components, make a few minor adjustments and it won't just turn out plinking ammo. The 550 (or 650 or 1050 for that matter) will turn out fine Match ammo, no problem.

Don't sell it short!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use good components, make a few minor adjustments and it won't just turn out plinking ammo. The 550 (or 650 or 1050 for that matter) will turn out fine Match ammo, no problem.

Don't sell it short! </div></div>

This was loaded on a 550.

group-1.jpg

They can do a lot better than that. Like 10-round groups at 200 yards, no bigger than this, easily.

Some years back, I ran a test to see if I could use the Dillon 550 to load QC test ammo, just to speed things up in the range. We were running a particularly heavy production schedule at the time and I was having to load and test fire about 600 rounds (60 groups) a day. We'd use the 550s for pistol ammo for several years, but at that point, I'd never done rifle rounds on them. Using a 223 Rem as the test cartridge, I'd been shooting a run of 52 gr SMKs (HPBT) for about a week, and knew precisely what that run's average accuracy had been. I decided to run some of these on a Dillon 550, and see if I could save some time with them. I changed over a press, and prepped 20-30 rounds. Firing these as ten-rounds groups at 200 yards, they grouped exactly the same as the rounds that I'd been previously loading on a single stage press. No difference whatsoever. I ran the rest of the productin run using test rounds loaded on the Dillon, and compared the average accuracy of over 300 groups, and found virtually no statistically significant change in group size between those loaded on teh Dillon, and those loaded on the Single stage. Keeping all of the groups running right around .7"-.8" at 200 yards, no problem. From that point on, I used the Dillon's for virtually all my 223 test loads in the range. Yeah, they're good!