• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 650 vs single stage -same accuracy reloads?

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
I have the chance to buy a 650XL used. I load for many cartridges but am interested in the Dillon for the .223 to load for varmint shooting, 400 yds or less. Will use Benchmark or H322.

I currently load with Redding Big Boss II and/or seating with Arbor press, Wilson bullet seater
My ammo is accurate , but takes a LONG time to load in any qty.

How does ammo on a Dillon 650 loaded compare to single stage, very concentric ammo?

I had a long talk with rep @ Dillon who says this machine makes ammo w bullet runout of
.001-.002, with powder measured to .1G variances ( ball or short stick).

Is this the fast and precise machine I need to make couple thousand
"match" type loads...? What to avoid/change/modify on this machine?

I have searched & read re 650 on SH alot but thought I'd ask anyway...

thanx for any info!

Re: Dillon 650 vs single stage -same accuracy reloads?

Good to go, I made "Master" in F class last year with Dillon 650 ammo, and I missed High Master on account of wind, not sub-par ammo.

Benchmark and H335 would both be great choices for good metering.

David Tubb uses a 550 to load his ammo. That's good enough for me.

thanks gents,

No, I did not miss the "shoot more, don't waste time making perfect ammo" sig line....

Got it & congrats on Master.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to go, I made "Master" in F class last year with Dillon 650 ammo, and I missed High Master on account of wind, not sub-par ammo.

Benchmark and H335 would both be great choices for good metering. </div></div>

I am thankful for this thread as well, i just wish more would chime in. I too plan on moving up from single stage to the Dillion 650. I just hope its worth it.

I dont have an opinion on the Dillon 650 but I have a hornady lnl ap press and for an automatic progressive press it is suprisingly accurate. I use alliant ar-comp which is an extruded powder and it throws within .2gr every time. This is good enough for what I am doing which is shooting steel at 850 and shooting some prarie dogs in a few weeks. Sry i couldnt contest to the dillon but just giving an idea for the automatic progressive press.

I've used a 550 and a 650 for decades now. They can make good ammo, but it is mostly contingent on the powder. Forget using medium to large extruded powders like 4831sc or even Varget to within .1 grain. They are just not fine enough. Small extruded powder like VVN110 works very well.

H335 is probably the most consistent I have used. During some load development last week, I set the 650 to throw 42.5 grains. I loaded 30 rounds and weighed every fifth. They were all dead on. I have also had similar experiences using 335 in my Uniflow measure.

Always have seen great things from Dillon....like the calendar girls!

I use my 550 "semi-progressivly".

I still weigh my powder for anything past 300 yds. Currently shooting Tac which meters well.

I've thrown Varget even in the past with the Dillon powder measure and done fine out to 300 yds.