• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 750xl Shellplate Snap

mbeavers1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2019
Montgomery, TX
I have seen this one covered in multiple places but all of the tricks havent seemed to fix it. I have a new 750xl and am loading 223rem. It is upgraded with the following;

1. Lightweight ball and spring
2. Needle bearings for shell plate
3. Honed bottom of shell plate

I also tried clipping the spring below the ball and went so far that the shell plate wasnt aligning properly anymore. I replaced it with the original spring and am not seeing significant difference. The press is hand operated and I am going fairly slow (4-500rds per hr). Im tossing CFE 223 vall powder out and it doesnt take long before enough powder accumulates that the primer bar stops working right and the shell plate binds up.

What else can I try?

I went through this with my 650. Here’s what got me smoothed out. Runs much smoother . Here’s what I used. I tried the sintered bearing and the needle bearing under the shell plate. I found that I didn’t need it with the other items swapped out.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 833D34A6-86A7-472D-8511-054F4F2E16AB.png
    833D34A6-86A7-472D-8511-054F4F2E16AB.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • CF7C66E1-B4DA-4BD8-99D2-43EEED508076.png
    CF7C66E1-B4DA-4BD8-99D2-43EEED508076.png
    1 MB · Views: 49
Is the powder bouncing out when the plate rotates and stops in the next position?

Or is it coming out of the powder funnel on the upstroke?

Watched a friend one time complain about the same thing, Turned out he needed to slow down on the down stroke and give a second to let the powder fall into the case.

Double Alpha has a Powder Spill prevention brush. It helps stop the jolt during rotation.
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-psp-brush

They also have a fast flow funnel for 223, but that's geared more for powder bridging issues.
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-fast-flow-powder-funnel

Think its a little of both actually but can definitely see the cases rocking. I have been pausing briefly to give powder time to drop.

I have one of those brushes, but cannot for the life of me figure out where it goes on the 750.🤦‍♂️

I only do 9mm on my 750.. but I've looked over the edge at doing .223/5.56 and these looked interesting, might be worth a try?

I only do 9mm on my 750.. but I've looked over the edge at doing .223/5.56 and these looked interesting, might be worth a try?

Saw those just today. Seem interesting...

Reactions: CK1.0
Not sure I can describe it correctly but several years ago the "recommendation" was install a zip tie between the 2 stations (powder drop to bullet drop) between the locating pins. The zip tie will tighten the case position in the shell holder. I installed them on my 1050's but don't enough time on them to comment.

Not sure if it will wok on a 750.