• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon Electronic Scale Going Bat-Shit

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
So, there I was loading for my 270WSM.... Next thing I knew my scale was bouncing around +/- 1.5 to 2 grains. I reset and start over. After a couple throws it starts up again. Looking around I notice I placed my cell-phone, which was running "Slacker Radio", about a foot and a half away. I moved my phone to the other side of my reloading table and presto-change-o problem fixed..... I'm thinking to EMP from the phone's speaker was effecting the scale.

Any other ideas?

Re: Dillon Electronic Scale Going Bat-Shit

yes, keep all electronics away from your scale. Also, watch any air movement, air conditioning ducts, open windows etc.

good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, keep all electronics away from your scale. Also, watch any air movement, air conditioning ducts, open windows etc.

good luck

Jerry</div></div>

What he said. Plus I noticed that my Hornady would freak out when on a metal surface.

Don't forget the florescent lighting also. You can get a line choke on the power line also.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012599
pRS1C-4471473w345.jpg

Try wiping your scale and the area around it with a dryer sheet .Could be static giving you trouble .Arnie

keep all cell phones at least 10 feet away from your scale

It's hard to outsmart gravity(balance beam). Even then you will be lucky to be truley accurate with standard reloading scales.

try weighing 500 cases on your balance beam and get back to us.........

The only time I weigh cases is when I've lost the will to live.

It's not the field from the speaker it's the rf from the phone. My wife's Crackberry turns of the display on her laptop off when she gets it too close to the keyboard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not the field from the speaker it's the rf from the phone. </div></div>

Bingo. Cellphones can mess with things - set it across the room. Two jobs ago, folks would complain about noise form their computers. Move their crackberrys to the side opposite their speaker cable, end of problem.

Some folks have had issues with scales being affected by fluorescent lights as well; I've been ok with that one, but mine have electronic (not magnetic) ballasts, and are at least 6' up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not the field from the speaker it's the rf from the phone. My wife's Crackberry turns of the display on her laptop off when she gets it too close to the keyboard.</div></div>
And people wonder why they have to turn off ALL electronic devices on aircraft.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try weighing 500 cases on your balance beam and get back to us.........</div></div>
hell i wouldnt even want to do 50 cases on a beam scale.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try weighing 500 cases on your balance beam and get back to us......... </div></div>

I don't need to. If you're weighing cases you're probably going to be shooting in the dozens of rounds, not the several hundreds if not thousands like for pistol or non-long range work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, keep all electronics away from your scale. Also, watch any air movement, air conditioning ducts, open windows etc.

good luck

Jerry</div></div>

What he said. Plus I noticed that my Hornady would freak out when on a metal surface. </div></div>What they said ... in addition keep it away from circuit breaker boxes and furnaces. I have my gear set up in a utility room that has florescent lighting, wifi, furnace, and a 200 amp service panel. I gave up and got a RCBS 1010. The scale would go crazy every time the heater or air conditioner cycled on. Seems the initial current draw for the furnace blower creates a pretty big electromagnet field. This happened once when I was calibrating the scale and it screwed it up so bad it took 45 minutes to re-calibrate it.

I tried then abandoned an electronic scale in my garage. Fluorescent lights, moving air, electric panel, all of it gave the scale fits. My Ohaus 10-10 works great, even with all of that going on.

JeffVN