• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon powder measure

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
Other than polishing the powder measure what other enhancements to the Dillon powder measure do you do. Are there other ways to throw the powder in the Dillon.

Re: Dillon powder measure

Yes Dillon sells a powder thrower adapter that lets you use any standard thrower.Or you can use the RCBS uniflow with the case activated die and Hornady makes something similar.

On the new powder measures most people remove the secondary safety lever that makes clunky. It operates much smoother without it. I get knobs that press onto the powder bar adjusting nut so you don't need a wrench to turn it. UniqueTek has some aftermarket parts for the Dillon powder measures, micrometer adjusters for the powder baffles, larger powder tubes, and powder baffles.

www.uniquetek.com

I added one of these knobs to each of my measures. The Home Depot number is 030699839285. It just makes it more convenient but NOT more accurate.

I also got rid of the "clunking" arm and installed one of the old school springs. Smooth as glass and repeatable. I also tried 2 springs but made it no better.

I also polished everything that would hold still. Used no lubricants.

Reaming the powder funnels helped especially with 223 (small case mouth) and varget or re15. Mine throws re15 more consistently than Varget.

Keith

PowderMeasureknobSmall.jpg

As per above:

Get rid of the safety cam and the rod.. add a return spring or double a big rubber band over a couple of times.. mine went from so so 0.5gr down to 0.1 and sooooo much smoother and quieter with the mod - called the 'fart knocker' by some.
Allows me to load 1/4" ammo @ 600/hr.. works for me..

KS, I will be going to Home Depot to get that knob. Great idea!

Ok, so which arm or lever are you talking about to replace. I have keep my 650 running with the factory set-up. I'm curious. A pic would be great. Thanks!

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KS, I will be going to Home Depot to get that knob. Great idea!

Ok, so which arm or lever are you talking about to replace. I have keep my 650 running with the factory set-up. I'm curious. A pic would be great. Thanks!

Chad
</div></div>

Hopefully the pic is better than my explanation.

1 Small bolt and nut locks those 2 pieces together
2 It comes with a small joggle in it. Flatten it to be in the same plane as where the number 3 is. This gets rid of the "clunk"
3 bellcrank
4 The spring itself. This is stretched when the handle is down. When you lower the ram this spring smoothly returns it back.

I have tried no spring, 1 spring, 2 springs and even 3 springs. 1 spring worked best for me, my bud's 550 liked 2 springs. I hope this helps with yours. Even with only one spring on it it will "cut" a powder kernal that might try to slow down the powder drop.

Play w/ different variations of this. Maybe even move the position on the small bolt. When I do something like this I will throw 50 times and weigh and record the results on a digital scale. Try something different and weigh and record. Then I just go with what works best. Slow and boring but gives me the real deal scoop on what's going on. I throw 223 and 308 on my 550 like this. Accuracy has not suffered but.......I still individually weigh rds I shoot in a Match or past 600yds. But...practice ammo gets thrown.

It works for me. Might not for you..........

Keith

DSCF0023.jpg

Keith, I notice you are using the small powder measure on your Dillon. Does it work for the .308 Varget and Re15 Approx 44-46 grains<

Lance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AI Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, I notice you are using the small powder measure on your Dillon. Does it work for the .308 Varget and Re15 Approx 44-46 grains<

Lance
</div></div>

No, I have a separate PM for loading 223 and 308 with the large powder bar. As seen it is setup for HG's, right now for 40cal.
Keith

Polish and lube moving parts (use moly powder).

Add rubber band around the hopper, much like what KS did.

Take a used bounce dryer sheet and polish everything inside the funnel and powder path. This will help control static charge buildup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p8re8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you have any info on the spring? </div></div>

Dillon was nice enough to send me 3 springs....no charge.

Keith

I wasn't able to talk them into sending me a spring today, but they did send me a timing tool for the primer system I'm having a slight issue with.

Dillon stoped installing springs on the powder measure a little while ago, not sure why, but they feel it doesnt need it and works better without it. Not sure I agree with them on that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure I agree with them on that one.</div></div>

I don't.

Well, my measures are clearly older then those.

I do three more things besides polishing the powder path.

I electrically ground the press/measure to reduce issues relating to static electricity.

I hold the press operating lever at full stroke for a count of three to allow time for all the powder granules to finish falling. No 'bumping'.

I use graphite as a dry lube on sliding parts. It is also electrically conductive and helps drain any potential static buildups.

Greg