• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon XL650 Vs Hornady LnL Vs RCBS 2000

Longrange****

Old Hat Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2006
Mille Lacs, MN
Alright, Im sick of going through dozens of other forums regarding these Progresives....yes this is going to be another one of those "help me pick one" threads...but Im ready to say eany meany miny moe here.....

I cant make up my mind as to what to get with the tax check.....

Yes I know about the Dilon no BS warranty....
I know that the Hornady is cheaper.....
Yup the RCBS and Hornady is cast iron....
Yup I know there is alot to changing over a Dillon.....
I know Dillon has some cool stuff like the powder alarm, but that can be used with pretty much any progressive press...
Im also aware that some of the components with these brands CAN be retrofited to work on each other.....
A BIG negative in my opinion is that RCBS's auto projectile loader is caliber specific......

The only thing I really dont need right away is the auto projectile portion....and some of the un-needed extras....

Im not too concerned about how long it takes to change things over to change calibers.

Im sure I dont have to worry about any of these as far as long term use....

I plan on loading 40S&W, 223, 6Br, 308, and eventually magnums....

And Ill admit I didnt do the homework as to which one of these presses can/cant do magnum rounds.

Please complete the Poll if you have VALID info, not just "well I think the Dillon looks cooler".....

ALSO, we get way too many "Dillon all the way" type posts, Im sure others will use this thread in the future to reasurch their own purchas....so lets give a REASON for your choice.

Re: Dillon XL650 Vs Hornady LnL Vs RCBS 2000

one nice thing on the LnL is the bushing that are so easy, fast and accurate to change. Just get a bushing for each die you plan on using and your cartridge changes take seconds. The down side on the LnL, in my opinion, is the primer station - it is very sensitive to small specks of powder/brass and needs to be kept clean all the time or you will have problems. Beyond that, it is an excellent tool and I have loaded thousands of rounds with it, easly paying for itself many times over.

Also, I need to pay props to Hornady Customer Service. I made a mistake and broke the index paws. It was totally my fault, not the machines, but when I called Hornady, they next-dayed not one, but three replacement parts to me on their buck. Big Thumbs up from me after that support!

I can't speak for the red and green ones. But I really do love my Dillon XL 650. I run 45 acp and 223 on it. I'll be doing some 308 for blasting ammo soon.

After half a dozen Lee Pro 1000s the Dillon 650 was like a new day standing in the sunshine. When I bought it I got all the bells and whistles that go with it. That was about 16 years ago. I'm not really sure what new things the progressive world has come up with. But I'll just keep my blue 650.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the info so far....

I also forgot to ask what you guys have found for Run-out on these machines...

James..thanks for that, I didnt know they were that touchy.

The Dillon is the way to go. I've owned a lnl and still own a 650. The 650 is a better machine.

If by chance you ever need cs, dillons is the best... no contest.

I've owned both and still have the Dillon 650. Caliber change on the 650 takes 5 minutes. Primer station change another 5.

Many competitive benchrest guys are loading there ammo on a 650.

Checkout Whidden Gunworks for his free floating Dillon 550 and 650 toolheads.

If you want a bullet feeder the Mr. Bullet Feeder is THE way to go.

Or if you dont want to mess with the actual bullet collater just get the bullet drop tubes and fill those with one hand as you crank with the other. I can load an easy 1000+ an hour on my 650 this way. The Collater may have added another few hundred an hour but I'll keep the 400 dollar difference!

4abd7dc2.jpg

I have had both the hornady and a 650, as well as lee presses.

THe hornady will be exponentially cheaper to load multiple calibers. With a dillon, to do it right, you need a toolhead/powder measure to do quick changes in my opinion.

The hornady will cause you some headaches on priming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or if you dont want to mess with the actual bullet collater just get the bullet drop tubes and fill those with one hand as you crank with the other. I can load an easy 1000+ an hour on my 650 this way. The Collater may have added another few hundred an hour but I'll keep the 400 dollar difference!

</div></div>

Thats a good idea, I guess I didnt think of that.

Things are still leaning toward the Dillon.......and I know that a lot of the Bench shooter guys are using them.

Im just left wondering if they are using the systems the way they come from Dillon or if they are using those floating tool heads as you mentioned or if they are modifying them....Im just concerned with runout on the progressives.....

I watched a number of videos for the Dillon but did see one where the guy stuck the tool head in and it appeared to have a fair amount of play in it....If my Turret press had that much I would have tossed it in the trash.

The reason Im thinking about run-out is if you really think about it as the first round moves around you will have uneven preassure being placed on one side of the tool head. Not too big of a deal since thats not going to happen often but even so, I cant imagine that there is even preassure on the tool head all the way around with the different amounts of preassure being applied one each die......

There is some good info on Whidden's Site....wonder how much truth there is to his Bullet pointing Die....Kinda spendy though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many competitive benchrest guys are loading there ammo on a 650.</div></div>

Okay. I'll bite. Such as... who?

While I love the Whidden tool heads I have for my 550 and think it loads pretty good ammo, I've yet to hear of a BR type that would admit to even thinking about loading their 'match' rounds on any progressive press, even a semi-progressive like the 550.

Could be its a local phenomenon around your region. Could be its more widespread and I've just been living under a rock...

Tis a poor carpenter that blames his tools. The Hornady has increased costs of owner ship with nickel and diming a person with extras to get to the same as a 650. The RCBS is nowhere as versatile.

While not your listed choice of tools, the 550 is better choice for your needs. Speed for handgunm and versatility for rifle with lest costs tied up in coversiions. Since the case feeder is not big deal.
Once past the learning curve 500 rds of 40 short and weak will be walk in park. Rifle loading still has case prep, and so a progressive is not going really impact rate of production.

Get a 550 and bever look back!

I run a Dillon 650 and like it- when it's up and running! But, changing calibers takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Plus, I always have something major to adjust/fix about every 500 or so rounds when in use. Since you will be doing several calibers, my vote is for the Hor LNL. You can change calibers in about 45 seconds, vs 45 minutes to an hour for the 650. So, caliber change is a big deciding factor, IMO.
I would get the the LNL with the bushings set up in the calibers you mention, and get a case feeder. There are several auto bullet feeders out there that will more than double your output. I can run about 450 rounds an hour loading 223 on a 650 (no bullet feeder) going at a steady pace, more than double with handgun rounds (with the bullet feeder).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned both and still have the Dillon 650. Caliber change on the 650 takes 5 minutes. Primer station change another 5.

Many competitive benchrest guys are loading there ammo on a 650.

Checkout Whidden Gunworks for his free floating Dillon 550 and 650 toolheads.

If you want a bullet feeder the Mr. Bullet Feeder is THE way to go.

Or if you dont want to mess with the actual bullet collater just get the bullet drop tubes and fill those with one hand as you crank with the other. I can load an easy 1000+ an hour on my 650 this way. The Collater may have added another few hundred an hour but I'll keep the 400 dollar difference!

4abd7dc2.jpg
</div></div>

Dude, where did you get the Sailor Jerry poster? Damn fine rum for a relaxing evening. Sorry to get off topic but that caught my eye.

On topic here. If I were buying off of that list it would be the 650. If I were buying again it would probably be a 650.

Currently I have a Lee Loadmaster. I had some initial set up problems. I load handgun on it. Rifle is on a T-7. The Lee works fine, makes good ammo. If you asked about it I'd say it's a good press.

I'd like to try a 650 before I'd say for sure which on I'd buy. The powder sensor for missed cases is my only reason for still wanting the Dillon. In my first batch of .45 I missed powder in a few shells. One cost me a barrel. I weighed the rest and pulled the others.

Cast .45 rounds will go far enough in the barrel from a primer to chamber a round behind them. I thought I had an extract problem and racked the next one behind it. Cracked the barrel from end to end. My fault durring set up but still an expensive mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a Dillon 650 and like it- when it's up and running! But, changing calibers takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Plus, I always have something major to adjust/fix about every 500 or so rounds when in use. Since you will be doing several calibers, my vote is for the Hor LNL. You can change calibers in about 45 seconds, vs 45 minutes to an hour for the 650. So, caliber change is a big deciding factor, IMO.
I would get the the LNL with the bushings set up in the calibers you mention, and get a case feeder. There are several auto bullet feeders out there that will more than double your output. I can run about 450 rounds an hour loading 223 on a 650 (no bullet feeder) going at a steady pace, more than double with handgun rounds (with the bullet feeder). </div></div>

Chad, I don't see how it could possibly take 45 minutes to change calibers on a 650. I could see 45 minutes for a 1050, including switching the primer system, but not on a 650. There are two pins you pull out by hand to change the toolhead, and two allen screws to remove while changing the shellplate. A few plastic bushings and the casefeed plate finish it off. 10 minutes is more than enough time, and 5 isn't too hard.

However, I don't like the many plastic parts used on the Dillon 650. There IS always something that always seems to need fixing, especially after a caliber change. I am looking into the Hornady for this reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a Dillon 650 and like it- when it's up and running! But, changing calibers takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Plus, I always have something major to adjust/fix about every 500 or so rounds when in use. Since you will be doing several calibers, my vote is for the Hor LNL. You can change calibers in about 45 seconds, vs 45 minutes to an hour for the 650. So, caliber change is a big deciding factor, IMO.
I would get the the LNL with the bushings set up in the calibers you mention, and get a case feeder. There are several auto bullet feeders out there that will more than double your output. I can run about 450 rounds an hour loading 223 on a 650 (no bullet feeder) going at a steady pace, more than double with handgun rounds (with the bullet feeder). </div></div>

Chad, I don't see how it could possibly take 45 minutes to change calibers on a 650. I could see 45 minutes for a 1050, including switching the primer system, but not on a 650. There are two pins you pull out by hand to change the toolhead, and two allen screws to remove while changing the shellplate. A few plastic bushings and the casefeed plate finish it off. 10 minutes is more than enough time, and 5 isn't too hard.

However, I don't like the many plastic parts used on the Dillon 650. There IS always something that always seems to need fixing, especially after a caliber change. I am looking into the Hornady for this reason. </div></div>

I seemed to get a lot of jamming in my XL650 in .308 also. Where the little plastic adapter attaches the casefeeder tube and the aluminum piece that slides a case would fall sideways quite often jamming everything up.

I have the lnlap and love it priming was an issue till i read the adjustment directions i only load pistol ammo and 223 on it all my other rifle loads i do on the rock chucker the runout with the 223 isnt bad at all once you get the comp dies with the projectile guide changing calibers takes about 5 minutes if you change primer types their warranty is great too. I dont have a dillion press but have used them they are great too and if you use once fired mil surp brass definatly get the dillion primer pocket swage tool i used the rcbs die but the dillion is much better.

I got a Hornady LnL AP w/ casefeeder for most of the reasons mentioned above... and because I thought I had found one for a good price. You know, the 'someone bought it for me last year but I haven't really used to enough to keep it around' type of deal where I got the press and a set of dies for a pretty decent price. Added the case feeder and the micrometer adjuster for the powder measure and away I went. Or so I thought.

After literally a couple years of screwing around with it off and on, probably 6-8 calls to Hornady, changing it over to the 'new' EZ-ject assy. (no ejector wire) and a number of requests in various forums forums... I have yet to get the damn thing to reliably feed .223 Rem cases from the case feeder arm across the spring groove and into the shell plate. Invariably, the leading edge of the case rim will dip into that groove and the case will tip forward. Either it tips over completely and falls over, or jams things up as the pusher arm tries to jam it into the shellplate at an angle and there just isn't enough clearance for that (nor should there be).

I've stoned/deburred the various surfaces, I've messed with the timing pawls til I'm blue in the face, I've listened to the tech support lady reading the canned script telling me to adjust the cam wire further after I just told her it *can't* go any further unless I thread the damn thing some more, I've threaded the wire even further (still no luck), I've waited on hold to get to a tech who actually had laid hands on one of these machines who then tells me to use a different push block than the one outlined in the manual (nice) which *still* doesn't work, and I've tried several 'home remedies' from people on the forums - still nothing works. I have got a few answers (and a comment from one of the techs hinted at the same) that basically a tall/skinny case with a tiny base like the .223 doesn't play well with that spring groove. No kidding?

I'm thinking I may see if it will work with handgun (9mm). If not... expect to see it up for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a Dillon 650 and like it- when it's up and running! But, changing calibers takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Plus, I always have something major to adjust/fix about every 500 or so rounds when in use. Since you will be doing several calibers, my vote is for the Hor LNL. You can change calibers in about 45 seconds, vs 45 minutes to an hour for the 650. So, caliber change is a big deciding factor, IMO.

However, I don't like the many plastic parts used on the Dillon 650. There IS always something that always seems to need fixing, especially after a caliber change. I am looking into the Hornady for this reason. </div></div>

I have only 2 tool heads, and try to keep my 223 set up all the time. But sometimes I have to switch them up to other calibers, like have I been. Just the other day, it took me 45 minutes to have the press set up to load from scratch with new 223 dies. I had to change out the priming system to small primers, and all the other set-up stuff. Plus, my priming system is malfunctioning, and it's bugging the tar out of me. If you had 1 tool head for each caliber, this would save time, but increase cost. I will be adding more tool heads for this reason. I don't load much on the 650, so set up time is always high for me. And I hate that every screw is a different size on the 650.

I am happy with my LNL. I run the case feeder. I have 8 dies sets that I use. Change over is pretty painless. The most time consuming is adjusting the powder drop, but that is probably the same procedure for any press. I have only had to call Hornady once on a shell plate that would not function in my press. They overnighted me a new one. I hear everyone say Dillon's customer service is no BS, but has anyone had a different experience with Hornady? I Have never used a Dillon, and would like to just to see what all the hype is. I didn't vote since I have never used a Dillon.

Plinker,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady has increased costs of owner ship with nickel and diming a person with extras to get to the same as a 650.</div></div>

What extras are you talking about?

Andy

easiest thing to do with the 650 is to have 2. One setup for small primers, one for large. Then have a toolhead for each caliber. Cost more, but sure is nice when changing between calibers

I like the sound of how fast it is to change the Hornady but dont like how touchy it is with certain things....

The Dillon is currently winning the poll at the top....

This is a very tough decision to make....

Is anyone out there using the RCBS?

So auto indexing is a priority longrange?

I also load on a 550 and with a tool head for each caliber, conversions rarely take more than 5 minutes. Admittedly, this is due to the fact that all my tool heads already have the dies installed and adjusted. naturally the first time set up and adjustment of the respective die set will take longer. But assuming you are comparing the relative merits of any progressive press, apples to apples comparisons apply to tool heads already set up.

So, from .308 to .45 ACP I need only change the toolhead (I don't use the powder dispenser for all my rifle cases): the shell plate and primer assembly are identical. So I set up the powder measure for the pistol cartridge and adjust throws, which takes a few minutes regardless of press I believe.

From .45 ACP to .45 Colt , I need only change the tool head and shell plate as .45 colt rims are larger than the ACP. Again, a powder adjustment is required.

By far the most time consuming changeover is when all four units require swapping out as in .45 Colt to .223:

1) Tool head with dies gets changed-15 seconds (No shit Mang)
2) Shell plate (comes with respective retaining pins and powder funnel) gets changed-2 minutes max unless you can't find your Allen wrench.

3) Primer feed assembly changed from large to small- 3-5 minutes.
4) Powder measure bar changeover from Pistol to rifle- 3-5 minutes. Though this argues well for multiple Dillon powder measures, I have only one.

My understanding is the 650 is of a similar nature though more complex due to the auto indexing function and case feeding so commonly used with that. Dillon also makes a case feeder for the 550 now.

I bought mine at a Gun show 10 years ago and found that Dillon was not fond of the self proclaimed "Licensed Vendor" I bought it from. Turns out he was a bullshitter: Imagine finding one of those at a gunshow?

At no time has Dillon been anything but helpful to me and promptly replaced anything my high torque hands destroyed without hesitation.

Good luck on your decision.

I also highly recommend the Dillon 550B; with the same shell plate and large priming system, I load .45 ACP and .308 Win (match loads using Redding S dies with neck bushings, a Prometheus II powder measure and a Redding benchrest seating die), and with the small priming system I load .223 Rem and both .40S&W and 6.8 SPC II using the same shell plate. You retain a lot of control without the auto indexing of the Dillon 650 XL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also highly recommend the Dillon 550B; with the same shell plate and large priming system, I load .45 ACP and .308 Win (match loads using Redding S dies with neck bushings, a Prometheus II powder measure and a Redding benchrest seating die), and with the small priming system I load .40S&W and .223 Rem. You retain a lot of control without the auto indexing of the Dillon 650 XL. </div></div>

Do all you Texan's own Prometheii?

Got tired of always screwing with the LNL..sold it. Bought a RCBS Pro2000, and ended up selling it.

Ordering a Dillon XL650 today.

QueeQueg....yea I would prefer Auto, if I didnt have it I might as well just manually turn my Turret press as far as Im concerned.....

BigBore....what was it that you got tired of with the LnL? Oh and I wish my reloading area was that clean!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do all you Texan's own Prometheii? </div></div>

Yes, so it seems. At one time I had both a Prometheus I and Prometheus II.

I've had my LNL for about a year now and LOVE! it. I had 2 small issues when I first set it up. It wouldn't index all the way and the primer feed wasn't working 100% of the time. Indexing was a quick fix after adjusting the paws(even though the instructions say they are calibrated at the factory) and after a quick call to CS the primer issue was taken care of now the press runs flawless. I don't have the case feeder yet but will be picking one up shortly. I'm running .223 and 45 ACP on it and switching between the 2 is painless. The powder dispenser works great with 8208 powder (it's holding to a 1/10 of a gr.) A low primer alarm would be nice but I just put a rubber band on the stick so I know when it's getting low. I've loaded about 8000 rds of 45 and 500 rds of 223 and couldn't be happier.

I've run my friend Dillion 1050 it is an awesome machine but well out of my price range. The 650 was more expensive than the LNL and after looking @ the cost to switch calibers easily I decided on it. Never ran an RCBS but it was in the same price range as the Dillion and given the choice between the 2 I would pick the Dillion.

From the 2010 IDPA Championship Equipment Survey (non-progressives not included):

Dillon
1050 - 27
450B - 1
SDB - 20
550B - 79
650 - 67
UNK - 4

Hornady
LNL - 8

Lee
Load Master - 2
Pro 1000 - 6
Unk - 2

RCBS
Pro 2000 - 3
UNK - 1

Can't go wrong with either the Dillon 650XL or Hornady LNL AP. I ended up with the Hornady LNL with a case feeder because I preferred the ergonomics on it over the 650 (some people prefer the ergonomics of the 650, so you might want to try both to see which works better for you). Hornady also has a no BS warranty policy and if you ever call them and miss them their answering machine's message wil have you rolling in stitches.

I think Im going to have to look at the small details to determine which to get.

Please continue to add to this as Im sure that someone will eventually ask the same questions.

Are there any small things that bug you about any of the presses?

Have any of you modified any of your presses by adding something not included from the orriginal Manufacturer?

Is there certain parts that should be replaced with something else? Like a different brand Powder Measure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you modified any of your presses by adding something not included from the original manufacturer?</div></div>

I added a stand to my Dillon 550B so I could use my Prometheus I and then Prometheus II as a powder measure. You should be able to do this with the XL 650 as well, although I have no experience with that press. I also added large dial knobs to the powder bars for easier adjustments for those calibers I load with the OEM factory Dillon powder measures.

Geez I thought I was going to be the first to say they were using a Pro 2000.

I guess Ive never put any thought into the progressives, nor did I compare any features of the competitors. I got mine for $100 complete so I didnt really care.

Aside from that, I have a die plate for each caliber I load now so theres no screwing with die setup. If you dont change primer size it takes about 2 minutes to switch calibers, if you do, add another minute maybe. The APS strips have always worked out great for me, I load them up myself as I can never find them locally in the strips already.

I only load pistol rounds and FMJ 223's to shoot out of my buddys FA M16's and G36's so I could care less about runout and what not, but they all shoot fine!

I havent had any issues with it yet, and loaded probably 8000 rounds total maybe. Have read of guys up in the 50-60000 range with them with no problems though.

I didnt vote, as I dont have an opinion on which is best for your needs, but thought my experience might help a little.

I voted LNL. I got mine just after Christmas and love it! Haven't had any real issues other then just getting the hang of things and getting into the rhythm of using it.

As previously mentioned, the only downside to it is the priming system, but after all the research I did before choosing, it seems that is the pitfall of pretty much ALL of the progressives. Keep it clean and be sure to complete your full seating stroke each time and your good.

The bushing system is real nice! I think I will eventually upgrade all my dies to use the bushings and I will get rid of my Lee Classic Turret, and my RCBS partner press and buy the Hornady LNL single stage. If you shim it to match your LNL AP in stroke distance, you can then swap any of your bushing wearing dies right into the single stage and work with it if you need/want to!

I have ovned both the 650 and the L-N-L with casefeeder. Now I have the Hornady only. Rifle cartridges are more difficult on both machines than pistol rounds. To me the Dillon was more tempermental, then the biggest issue is the primer feed system, they can both foul up but the dillon can have a mass primer detonation. Been there done that, the Hornady so far hasn't had that problem and I'm pretty sure only one could detonate due to Hornady's slider system compared to Dillons rotary disc. I always wore safety glasses while reloading this was a serious wake up call for hearing protection too.

I have a Lock-n-Load AP, a Dillon 650 with a case feeder, and an RCBS Rock-chucker. I have three complete tool heads for the 650, and multiple shellplates for the Hornady.

I never use the 650 anymore because the priming system is always messing up and I have had a mass detonation. Dillon said only use the Remington primers in the Dillon. One would assume that any primers could be used.

The Hornady has worked well, except for the micrometer adjustment for the powder throw...too loose, and would come out of adjustment. Additionally, I use rubber bands on all the dies to keep them from "popping-out" of the head (The die bushings will rotate over multiple cycles and pop out).

I still make all my non-semi-automatic rifle loads on the single stage..one at a time.

Soooooo, my vote is a for the Hornady

I own a 650 Dillion. The primers was always mess up. The powder funnel was always throwing a 1/2 to 3/4 grs. I did all the polishing,micro adjustments. I ended up selling it. Now doing it all single stage.

I would go with the LNL vs. the Dillion.

Wow, alot more votes for the LnL....

SPDGG yea I have been looking at his videos and they are great, I wish more videos were like that....

BigJake...thanks for the link Ill read through that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BigBore....how is the priming system on the RCBS.... </div></div>

As long as you arent doing crimped cases it has worked flawlessly for me. Every once in awhile doing crimped cases Ill get one that I just didnt open up enough with the chamferer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I never use the 650 anymore because the priming system is always messing up and I have had a mass detonation. Dillon said only use the Remington primers in the Dillon. One would assume that any primers could be used.

</div></div>

Never heard that and after shooting IPSC for 15 years, My friends and I have loaded a combined millions of rounds on Dillon presses and nobody uses Remington primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a 650 Dillion. The primers was always mess up. The powder funnel was always throwing a 1/2 to 3/4 grs. I did all the polishing,micro adjustments. I ended up selling it. Now doing it all single stage.

I would go with the LNL vs. the Dillion. </div></div>

Both of my Dillons consistently throw +/- 0.0. $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Never heard that and after shooting IPSC for 15 years, My friends and I have loaded a combined millions of rounds on Dillon presses and nobody uses Remington primers. </div></div>

I find that odd too since Winchester adn CCI primers both have harder cups anyway. I've mashed BR2s HARD in 650 without detonation.

I would never own a Dillon press just because the idiots made them where the brass feeds in from the right side where the handle is, it makes feeding the cases a pain where the LnL AP is left hand feed for the case and bullet and the handle is on the right so feeding the LnL while pulling the lever is very simple and can be done on the fly unlike the Dillon.

The Hornady powder measure is also one of the best made, it's equally as good as my Redding BR3 powder measure and throws better than the Dillon setup with extruded powders(they all throw ball powder well)

I do like Dillon's trimmer, I use one on my LnL SS press for trimming 6.8 brass and it works great and doesn't over size the necks like some of the trim dies do(Dillon didn't make the 6.8 trim die).

An easy fix for the LnL bushings coming loose is to replace the 100 series o-ring on the bushing with a 213(IIRC) size o-ring, the thicker o-ring works great and will keep the bushing from ever moving. I figured this out using the Dillon trimmer since the torque from the trimmer motor coming on would spin the bushing loose every time and would also vibrate loose every few rounds, now it stays locked into place and doesn't vibrate loose ever, it's a quick easy fix that should almost be the way they come from the factory(works great on the powder measure as well).

The LnL SS and AP cant share the same die bushing settings as someone mentioned since the LnL AP has the dies set much deeper than the SS LnL, there is no way to "shim" the dies to match both presses, any die set for the AP will be way to deep for the SS and the single stage dies will not be deep enough for the AP, so the dies will have to be adjusted for each or do as I did and buy a die set for each press.

+1 for the Hornady press(which is all aluminum except the ram, not cast iron like was mentioned in the first post).

my $.02