• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon XL650 ?

sniper7mm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Huntingtown, MD
I have a question for those with one of these. I want to build a stand alone bench just for this away from my single stage press. I ordered the strong mount option. What would a good height be to build the bench? I will do most of my loading from a standard height office chair. I figured someone here has already done the trial and error.

Re: Dillon XL650 ?

Desk height is typically 27"-30". Do you want knee space below your work surface? A quick mock up can be helpful before you commit to fabrication.

I use mine standing. I cannot do it comfortably sitting down. Mine is mounted on a table the same height as a kitchen counter. (Ballpark of 36".)

How tall are you? I'm in the same boat with Victor; gotta stand.

I can sit but I need to be able to straighten out my right arm for the last downward leverage. Also it is good to have a sturdy footrest available so your feet aren't dangling in space. Gives extra leverage that way.

Mine is set up so when I am sitting my forearm is at about a 45 degree angle up. I don't use the strong mounts.

Now you have me thinking about it, I don't pull the handle straight back toward me either. I guess I sit at about a 45 degree angle to the machine. Sorta to the left of the machine and turn a little to my right. It is more like I am pulling the handle across in front of me than straight toward me. It is actually quite comfortable, but I sit on the front edge of the chair. Not all the way back in the chair. Never really thought about this before.

I also do mine standing, my bench is quite tall, maybe 42". The very top of the case feeder is about 4-6" over my head (I'm 6'2"). It is the perfect height to stand and reload for me, no stooping or bending. This was important to me because my back is fucked up.

25f5ykg.jpg

That looks basicaly like the same setup I have. Back surgery many years ago is why I prefer to stand. Go by Lowe's or Home Depot and get you some rubber mats to stand on. It'll help your feet, legs and back.

I too find that I have to stand when running the 650. Though, if you get the right height barstool, you can run it sitting, just not for an extended period.

Yeah, I laminated two sheets of 3/4" poplar plywood. Then I cut them on the table saw, it looks like a 1.5" piece of plywood. Used a Kreg pocket hole jig to attach the plywood from underneath to the 2x4's. It is very stiff. I sat my fat ass in the middle and it does not move.

The wood dust is a problem. Whenever I'm done with a project I sweep up the bulk of it then I open both garage doors and hit the whole thing with the leaf blower.