• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon XL750 set up for PRS use

jaybic

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2017
rochester mn
Hello,
I just picked up a new Dillon 750 and am interested in how folks set them up to make match worthy ammo for PRS use. I load for 22-250ai, 6x47, 6BRA, 22 Creed and 6.5x47. Dillon says that the 22-250 conversion kit will work for all of those calibers but the fella didnt sound all that confidence inspiring when telling me this so I dont want to get it wrong.

I have also heard about using floating tool heads and different mods to be made to the unit to make it more precise but have no details on anything so any input at all would be very much welcome.

Thanks for your time,

Jamie

Hello,
I just picked up a new Dillon 750 and am interested in how folks set them up to make match worthy ammo for PRS use. I load for 22-250ai, 6x47, 6BRA, 22 Creed and 6.5x47. Dillon says that the 22-250 conversion kit will work for all of those calibers but the fella didnt sound all that confidence inspiring when telling me this so I dont want to get it wrong.

I have also heard about using floating tool heads and different mods to be made to the unit to make it more precise but have no details on anything so any input at all would be very much welcome.

Thanks for your time,

Jamie

Watch 6.5 Guys vids on precision loading on progressive

Precision on Progressive

Worth the hassle to get it all set up and crank.

Good luck

Ediited to add: search for Sheldon N's explanation of Dillon set up for match use on here. I could not find it but worth your while.

Last edited:
I’ve tried the uniqtek clamp kit . I tested it against the oem floating head design . In my experience it wasn’t worth the hassle. One thing that can make a difference is to be sure all stations are full when you are setting up your press. Also make sure you are using matching headstamp brass, polish your powder measure to a mirror finish . I also run a wheel/bearing camming pin and wheel/bearing camming rod. I size on the 650 using a Redding full length sizer then trim/chamfer/debur on the giraud.
My setup for loading on the 650 is powder drop, Mr bulletfeeder , Forster micrometer seating die, if a crimp is desired Ill use the last station .

Does a fella have to use the floating heads AND o-rings on the dies both or no? also does anyone know for sure if the 22-250 conversion kit will work with the 250ai, 6bra, 6x47 and the 6.5 x47(all of them or do I need each individual one?

Test out your loads using a standard tool head that floats s little to begin with . Then test the same loads with the Whidden “floating” tool head. Might be interesting.

I'm a little leery that one conversion kit ill work with 5 calibers, but I could be mistaken. The way to tell is look in the back of the user manual. There is a chart/matrix that shows every caliber and all of the parts used for each of the conversion kits. IF there are differences, you should be able to achieve your goal by just buying individual parts that don't match for the various caliber kits. If the shell plates are the same for all five calibers, that's a good start.

As stated above call UniqueTek. They will tell you every way to correct for precision ammo. You can correct the factory tool head in several diffent ways, or just buy Widdens tool head with the floating lock ring.

For me, I found simple to be best.
01 Widden tool head with floating lock rings per cartridge. All loading including case work done on one head not two.

Turbo bearings
Coated primer slide plate
Alignment tool
Powder measure with V3 Auto trickler. FYI, for best results V3 should be on a separate table. I use a small one right beside me.

Station 01 sizer die floated, prime on down stroke
Station 02 expander mandrel floated
Station 03 powder fill with Area 419 funnel kit (not floated obviously)
Station 04 seating floating lock ring.

Trim, chamber, debut after 2 on automated machine of your choice. Had to have the tool heads punched out to float another die as they only come with 2 floated. I tried the 02 tool head method of brass prep on 1 and loading ammo on another. Seemed to defeat the purpose of a progressive to me. Home made lube and your up and ready.

Not the only way, just my way so far. Hope this helps.

We've talked about this in the past a great deal..... Have a read. :) Still pertains to the 750.

I don't have any experience with the 750, but have used a 650 for the last decade or so...

All of those cases are pretty similar. I think they use a different powder funnel for the 224 vs 6mm and 6.5mm, but other than that I would think they'd work. Maybe a different case feed adapter for the shorter 6br case? Like the guy said above, you can find a cross reference chart and look at the part numbers. You won't see every cartridge under the sun listed because case head diameter, body diameter, case length, and caliber are generally the only relevant dimensions.