• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dimpled shoulders?

orrbull48

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2012
Was sizing my 300wm brass today, once fired remington brass, and noticed the shoulders were coming out slightly dimpled close to the neck? Is this common or am I doing something wrong? Possibly a damaged sizing die? Hope someone knows what I'm referring to, I'll try and post a picture tomorrow...

-Lee

Re: Dimpled shoulders?

If it's about the size of a piece of polishing media, it could be a piece of walnut or corncob stuck in the die.

It could also be a buildup of lube, or too much lube on the casings.

Have you cleaned the die recently?

Just cleaned the die, had a stuck case and had to pull it out. Using imperial sizing wax(not very much per case) and using a STM tumbler. here's the best pic i could get.
F0AAE453_zpsea7d465a.jpg

Lube build-up in the die or too much lube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lube build-up in the die or too much lube </div></div>

Yep

Is the brass fixable or trash now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lube build-up in the die or too much lube </div></div>

Yep </div></div>

Been guilty of this too, dont lube the shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orrbull48</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the brass fixable or trash now? </div></div>Should be safe, once you shoot them and they fireform they should be "fixed"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orrbull48</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the brass fixable or trash now? </div></div>
The brass is fine. Load it, shoot it, problem solved. I believe Hornady has drilled a small lube escape hole in their dies now to prevent this.

lube yeah could be, like post above, I had a piece of tumbler material get stuck in the neck of the die once.
T

Definitely looks like too much lube. I agree, clean the dies and use less lube. I love Imperial Sizing Wax. A little bit goes a long way.

Okay ill disassemble the die again, clean her out and run less lube. Thanks for the help everyone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lube build-up in the die or too much lube </div></div>

Yep </div></div>

Been guilty of this too, dont lube the shoulder. </div></div>

I'll probably get reamed for asking but if I dont lube the shoulder, do i only lube the neck and and the case and leave the shoulder alone? ive only been reloading for a few months, and the loading ive done are for my wildcat AR's.....this precision stuff is a bit finicky, but its a new hobby...

I've always just lubed the main part of the case. Never the shoulder or the neck.

Every now and then I have to put a small amount of lube on the expander ball of the die as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always just lubed the main part of the case. Never the shoulder or the neck.

Every now and then I have to put a small amount of lube on the expander ball of the die as well. </div></div>
Like bunnyblaster said. Just the main part of the case and since you're using Imperial a finger swipe across the case mouth about every 5-8 cases will lube the expander sufficiently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdEyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always just lubed the main part of the case. Never the shoulder or the neck.

Every now and then I have to put a small amount of lube on the expander ball of the die as well. </div></div>
Like bunnyblaster said. Just the main part of the case and since you're using Imperial a finger swipe across the case mouth about every 5-8 cases will lube the expander sufficiently. </div></div>

thanks, will the wax contaminate any powder?

You will not get powder contamination. We are talking about a very small amount on the inside of the neck every 6 cases or so. You will be able the "feel" when the expander needs more lube. I just wipe my finger across edge of the case and a little wax is left on the inside. Again it is a very small amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Time 23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not get powder contamination. We are talking about a very small amount on the inside of the neck every 6 cases or so. You will be able the "feel" when the expander needs more lube. I just wipe my finger across edge of the case and a little wax is left on the inside. Again it is a very small amount. </div></div>

cool, i appreciate the info....someday ill get there, just now starting to shoot at distances i never thought possible

I like the Lanolin/castor oil spray lube. The natural lube (no petroleum products) does not harm the powder. Much faster too. JMHO