• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Diopter Focus vs. Side Focus vs. Ocular Lens

teamnichols

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2014
Having some issues seeing a full exit pupil in my scope. Can't create an accurate POA unless I can see the entire exit pupil image.

Question - what does the Ocular Lens do? Or, maybe it's better to ask whether you can focus whatever the ocular lens?

I realize the Diopter focuses the reticle and the side/parralax focus is to focus the image (bring the POA into same plane as the reticle) ... but how does that relate to the Ocular Lens, or does it?

The problem I'm having is when I'm on the scope trying to create a legit POA and I never get a clear edge around the exit pupil image. If I want to see the ridge edge of the exit pupil image I have to move my eye forward quite a bit and then look over inside the eye piece to the right ... and of course when I do I get a massive shadowing on the left of the image. It's as though the ocular lens (I think it's the one which focus the exit pupil image) might be focused incorrectly? The exit pupil image seems to be too big and impossible to see inside the size/space of the eye piece housing.

It's a new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44mm with standard mil dot reticle and side/parralax focus. I sent it off to Bushnell and hopefully they tell me either the wrong ocular lens was used, or that it maybe was focused incorrectly.

3DHUSKER, last week at the range here in San Diego (Pala High Powered Range ... gets out to 800+ yards) I thought the same thing and moved my eye closer. But, the only thing which changed is I was able to see one portion of the exit pupil image. Even worse, I felt as though I had to put my eye "IN" the eye housing ... as though I had to look around the eye piece housing ... in order to see the edge of the exit pupil image. Of course when I would do this the opposite side of the image had severe shadowing. Not good. Believe me, I've been stumped, frustrated, confused and ... well ... pissed at the whole thing.
The good? Well, I've learned WAY MORE about shooting, position, eye relief, internal scope mechanisms, trigger control, barrel harmonics, and sound rifle construction than I EVER would have w/out this problem. So, I'm grateful in a way (so long as I get this whole dilemma resolved). In fact, I shoot with my 12 year old son (who's a really good shot) and was describing my confusions and frustrations to him and you know what he said? He said, "Dad ... smooth seas never made a skilled sailor." My jaw hit the floor. He was right. Helped me change my perspective big time.

You should have a full image with your eyeball 3.5-4" away from the ocular lens. Are you able to take a pic of the reticle?

Sounds like you need to call Bushnell and ask them, they may have an issue that only a new scope will correct or give you a direction to go that will resolve your problem.