• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing dirt cheap threading tool that lasts forever

hero's machine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
E. WA
I stumbled on this idea from and thought I might share it. I like the cut produced by HSS, and I like the simplicity of inserts. I took a high quality T shaped parting bit and installed it in my parting holder, then over to the tool grinder to add a 60* point to it. Now I have a perfect threading tool that has the rake built in. The tool is super easy to square, if you center the point, then the tool can be squared off the edge vs the point for quick accurate setup. I like it enough that I bought a dedicated tool holder for the threading bit. I am pissed that I did not stumble onto this sooner. Keep both ends pointed and in the event of a catastrophe, a quick flip and you are gtg.

Re: dirt cheap threading tool that lasts forever

Sounds like a cool idea. Any chance of a pic, im still new to the machining world and not sure i have it visualized correctly.

That is a good idea! I might have to try this out

D.Miller, Think of instead of a squared of end on the parting tool, it has a 60° point instead.
15y8c43.jpg

I can snap a pic later when I get back to the shop. My setup uses a #2/200/bxa style holder and a parting bit that is wider on top, just grind a point and rock on.

Thanks i got it. I was trying to over complicate things in my head.

Keep the cutter blade as close to the toolblock as possible.
If you reach way out with it, it's gonna flex left and right as you put pressure on it.

A really nice setup for HSS is the Aloris dedicated threading toolholder.

5063.gif

To sharpen it, you just grind the top of the blade flat.

That is quite similar to mine......except I could by 20 of mine for the cost of that one.

IMAG0240.jpg

Good tip. I have known others (old machinist guys) who have told me of it but never seen it in the real world. Gotta try it for trying sakes. Happy Chip making

Definitely a neat trick but if you are doing internal threading, "strange threads", or already have the insert tooling I recommend Aurthur Warner tool company for buying HSS inserts for ISO shaped tool holders, you get all the convenience of inserts with the advantages of HSS (interrupted cuts, sharpness of insert, cutting at low rpms)

any strange thread, like a 55* witworth or an acme.....any external thread form can be ground in short order if you have the skills and a gauge to measure your tooling, which you are going to need to square up your tool any how. I use insert tooling for internal and hard materials, but, lets face it.....we are all do it yourself guys (and gals)that is why we do what we do and none of us are made of money so a simple solution to a nonexistant problem is how we roll.

that warner tooling is very slick, if not grizzly would not have copied it, but I can't justify it for external threading.

hero's machine said:
That is quite similar to mine......except I could by 20 of mine for the cost of that one.

It all depends on how much you value your time.
When you sharpen yours, you have to setup and check angles.
When you sharpen the aloris style, you just grind the top surface and the angles are perfect.
Also, the aloris has adjustable lead angle.
You have to grind the lead angle into yours, or perhaps you are just not using any lead angle.

Before I went to all indexable carbide tooling, I purchased my aloris #8 holder on ebay for around $50.

I built a fence for one side of my tool grinder that allows me to do it in the holder....takes about a minute to make one on a new blank. I keep a hone handy for a quick touch up should the need arise. the rake angle is set by the holder and works out really well on steel and stainless as it is.

I wish I could have found an aloris for cheap, it would have saved me some head scratching, but now I think I have satisfied my quest. it will take about 600 miles of thread to wear out this tool. thankfully I have a lifetime supply of HSS from some earlier traing in life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the rake angle is set by the holder and works out really well on steel and stainless as it is.</div></div>

What about the lead angle?
Threads have an angle to them, they are not straight grooves.

I am assuming you are refering to what I call the helix angle, where the bottom of the bit could catch the thread below centerline. I have not tried it to anything coarser than 16tpi yet, but it looks like it should clear to 11 without contact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all depends on how much you value your time.
</div></div>

Yes, that's always the part alot of folks dont consider. I have an Aloris and it's a hoss, real beefy. Just purchased a Grizzly holder that use the Warner Tool HSS inserts and holds them vertically but havent had a chance to use it yet. Between the two, I should have a couple of life times of threading tool life.

My eyes are not what they used to be and I find myself needing the opti visor thing more and more, these solve my problem of grinding true 60 degree tools.

I use this Aloris holder as well. In my case it is because I got it in a package deal that included 12 holders and was able to horse trade into it real cheap. Very nice holder I have not had to regrind mine yet I touch it up with a diamond hone as needed. I cant imagine ever using the tool up
BTW pretty good idea Hero

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep the cutter blade as close to the toolblock as possible.
If you reach way out with it, it's gonna flex left and right as you put pressure on it.

A really nice setup for HSS is the Aloris dedicated threading toolholder.

5063.gif

To sharpen it, you just grind the top of the blade flat.</div></div>

The Aloris is nice for V-threads but does have the problem in that it requires a fair bit of freebore to the left of the threads before you can have a shoulder just to accommodate it's rather hefty size. Not a problem with a barrel that's going to have a recoil lug, but way too much for a muzzle. I much prefer full-profile inserts for these types of jobs where I want to get in close to a shoulder.

It is easy to sharpen and transitions easily to left or right hand threads, though. If someone were to send me a reasonable offer (not looking to give it away) via PM, I'd probably taken them up on it.

Been doing it for years. My daddy taught me how.

Back in "the day" you had to grind your own tools. There is a little device that's made to check the point on your cutting tool. It's called a "center gauge" (Starrett model #391) It has a 60 degree included angle ground into one end to which you check your cutting tool as you grind it for cutting threads.

. . . but nothing lasts forever.

You'd take that same little tool and grind your threading tool for much larger threads also.

Now when you'd be cutting 4-40's or 3-48's, then you'd have to put your jeweler's loupe on your safety glasses to see if the point and angles aligned to the gauge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Aloris is nice for V-threads but does have the problem in that it requires a fair bit of freebore to the left of the threads before you can have a shoulder just to accommodate it's rather hefty size.</div></div>

That's because it's made to go up to 4 TPI or something.
They do make them with slightly smaller blade sizes too I think.

The Aloris was a very nice tool until I too went to full profile inserts...