• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disappointed in Ruger American Rimfire Target

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
On February 3rd I purchased a Ruger American Rimfire Target model 8366. I am recovering from shoulder surgery cannot shoot my center fire rifles for 5 months. So the 22LR will provide some shooting time in the interim. I inspected the rifle when delivered to my FFL and found that the 10rd magazine as installed by the factory was stuck. It could not be removed using my, soon to be 83 year old fingers, and following the procedure outlined in the owner's manual. Five young male and female employees attempted to remove the magazine but all failed.

I sent an email to Ruger, explained the problem and asked for an RMA. They did respond within 2 days and I made an outer cardboard box, packaged and delivered it to the FEDEX Hub. I am disappointed in the QC at the factory in Mayodan NC. I am unset that Ruger failed me and I really miss my range time with a rifle. My mistake was not buying a CZ.

After waiting the statutory 10 day background check period, shipped the rifle to Ruger.

Sorry to hear you had this trouble. Also, this is the first time that I have heard of a Ruger rotary magazine being stuck in the gun and not being able to be removed. Would have been nice to know what caused this.

If you are in Florida by chance, I let you use one of my 22’s for some time until you recovered.

I had this exact issue come up in the recent past when I dropped my 10/22 barreled action into a new wood sporter stock, one of the mags would either not fully seat or it would seat and be difficult to remove using the typical manual of arms. That being said, a little push from the top through the ejection port and it flopped right out like it should've. Four other mags were tested and they all functioned perfectly fine and if the barreled action was out of the stock, the problem mag would lock up and drop free as normal. So I deduced that there must be just enough interference in the mag well and just enough tolerance stacking that it wasn't working. Taking my time to do a little sanding and fitting in the mag well and after about 20 minutes the issue was resolved and all the mags function just fine now. A little stain and TruOil and it's hard to tell anything was done around the magazine area.

Reactions: charliebrown1999
Several years ago now at the LGS I worked at, got in a batch of 10/22s that the magazine would get stuck in it until we would push through the ejection port on the top of the magazine. Never did hear what caused that issue.

Reactions: charliebrown1999
I had an Ruger American Rimfire a few years ago. Just black synthetic stock and it would not retain the magazine. Had to send it away twice. In Canada we have a service facility that handles their warranty so IMO it wasn't Rugers fault the second time. I did have to wait along time for a replacement stock the second time

I have a 10/22 in an Archangel stock. 8 out of 10 magazines I have get stuck to varying degrees; some take just a little nudge through the chamber, some required a pretty good push. I measured the dimensions of all the magazines, found the ones that stick were a bit larger in width. I flat sanded the sides of the magazines a little at a time until they dropped free. The "pattern" I saw on the sides showed me the magazine bodies are fairly uneven, which is why some worked and some didnt. BTW, the one that worked best without any work was a clear one, the rest were black. It's possible the clear plastic holds its dimensions a bit better, most likely the bodies warp when they're popped out of the molds still hot so a stiffer plastic will hold it's shape better.

Our shop would have sent it back to the distributor for a replacement rifle. I just did that with a Sp101 that I found that was defective.