• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disappointing 2000MR load development (223/75gr)

Jimlaw83

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati
So I worked up some 223 loads for shooting last weekend. 75 gr Hornady BTHP, Fed brass (FL sized, trimmed, flash hole uniformed), and some of the Alliant 2000MR. Charges were 5 rounds each of 23.8, 24.2, 24.6, 25, and 25.4 grains (based off configuring the 77SMK load to a 75 gr bullet) at 2.26 OAL. Expected velocity from 25.2 grains should have yielded around 2850 FPS from a 24 inch barrel. I was indeed shooting a Stag 6h upper (24 inch, 1/8 twist) with RRA match trigger off bench rest with rear bag.

So here are the problems. First off, my 25.4 grain charge only yielded around 2750 FPS, and I didn't get a single group to get under about an inch. It has to be the cartridge, since this rifle will shoot my cheapo 55gr FMJ plinking load under 3/4 inch. It was breezy, 10-20 mph winds from left to right, but I was attempting to put my rounds off in a timely fashion during consistent wind conditions, and besides, it was only at 100 yards. That shouldn't make a full inch worth of difference. The vertical spreads and STD were pretty good (my notebook with the data is elsewhere right now), but the left/right spreads were pretty terrible. Parralax was confirmed GTD each time.

Anyone have any ideas on the velocity problem? The book says to use Winchester brass, and I do have a good bit of LC '06 in a bucket that could be used. With the capacity and sturdiness (and the fact that this rifle is actually chambered 5.56 NATO), could I up the charge some more and perhaps locate a higher node? I didn't see any pressure issues all the way up to 25.4 grains. My 308 165gr hunting and 175 SMK loads (both with 2000MR) all hit the book max velocity 1.5 grains below the book max charge, so I was very much hoping the same would occur with this load/rifle. (I'd REALLY like a mag length 1000 yard 223 load).

Was it the wind, or seating depth, that was at issue with the left-right spread in the grouping? Loading these to mag length doesn't leave me a whole lot of play with the seating depth thing.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Disappointing 2000MR load development (223/75gr)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watching this thread. Want to use 2000MR in my 7-08 </div></div>
Then try 41grs of it with the 162AMAX.

Jim,
I've got to think that some of your horizontal dispersion came from the wind. Was it steady at 10 mph and gusting to 20, or was it dead, gusting to 20? If you're using a gas gun and groping "about" an inch at 100 yards on a windy 10-20 mph day, dare I say that ain't too bad!

Have you got a standard that shoots significantly better, given the same conditions?

I got to 3070fps with 75 a-max, but with a
heavier charge and my col at 2.500 in a bolt gun.

JL,

All I can tell you is with 80 grain bullets loaded to 2.555" I get an additional 50f/s with the 2000MR over VV N-550. Groups weren't quite as good as the N-550, but were acceptable. My charge was about a grain higher than yours, but the 80s have more room in the case over 75s.

HTH,
DocB

Makes sense with the 80 grains, basically the goal is to try and get a mag length 1000 yard 223 cartridge developed. I really need about 2850 fps to make it work, and I think the 2000mr is the powder to make it happen. My plinking load was holding under 3/4 inch, but I know this rifle will punch sub half moa (hornady match factory ammo denonstrated that). The wind was gusting, but I tried to get each group off quickly during condition stability.

I think I'll make the move to my lake city brass (1/2 grain more capacity) and see if I can't up the charge a little more. There is a node there, just gotta get a nice quiet range day to spend working the loads at the bench. I'll scan the pics and data from this next session for posting.