• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Disassembling KRG stock

Rifletuner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Australia
I have a KRG stock on my PRS rifle and want to play around with the weight and balance of the rifle for matches. I would like to remove the screws holding the butt stock together & see if I can add weight in there, but the manual warns that the screws wont go back together if I do this. Has anyone actually tried? I am tempted to try anyway, but a little undecided. I could probably make it work, but I am a little undecided right now.

If they're plastic tri-lobed screws they may move enough plastic around they'll never tighten up again.

In any case, the one fix that will work almost every time is a thread insert. No matter how bad you fuck it up taking it apart, it should be possible to drill and epoxy an insert in to allow repeated access.

There's also the chance they don't recommend it because you'll never get it to go back in alignment and may have to live with it being slightly off.

Thanks. Yeah, thats along the lines I was thinking. I am wondering if I am better off making up steel or brass inserts for the forend and butt stock and bolting them on rather than trying to open it up. I am going to see what material I can come up with and do some experimenting

Are you on a budget? Otherwise you can give KRG's heavy bag riders a try.