• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disaster profiteering?

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
Ok, I work p/t at a local gun shop. The owner there has followed the seeming sad SAD trend. Crank up the prices on ARs, AKs, SCARs, etc. WHY!? (yeah, I know why, supply - demand blah blah blah.)

Here is my bitch and anger with this right now. the rifles that were in stock, in stores, in hand for you online sellers, you paid "x" dollars for those rifles and you were satisfied with profit you made on them for the last year. I know the profit isn't much, but it's profit that had you all satisfied for some time.

NOW, in the dawn of a *POSSIBLE* AWB, people are cranking up their prices from $100 - $400 or even more. it makes me SICK!!!

WHY? Basically because profits are being made on the deceased souls of 20 children!! the adult deaths are sad too I know, but it's the 20 kids that yank our hearts.

VA tech didn't have the outcry for AWB and jack already profitable prices. Aurora CO didn't have that effect. Clackamas OR incident didn't do it either.

I'm really ashamed of the behavior of many in light of this incident. I'm ashamed of politicians jumping at "need to do xxx" as a knee-jerk reaction. I'm extremely ashamed of firearms retailers jacking up their prices BEFORE the more expensive and more difficult to acquire ARs are even in distributor's hands. And the media instilling near bone-chilling fear into apple-pie America.

I know these recent incidents effect us all in many ways. If I've missed a perspective, I'll gladly read on it and see if you can convince me otherwise. This is the Bear Pit, and as such I'm treating it as the place to vent to my fellow 2nd Amendment practitioners.

Thanks for reading!

-G45

Re: Disaster profiteering?

It sucks, but yes, supply and demand. Think of it this way, a ban is going to DESTROY many of these shops.

They aren't making the profit off the deceased either. That's a bullshit argument. They are making the profit off the "they aren't going to ban guns" crowd that have been warned for months and months and dismissed, even here on the hide. Its a "head in the sand" premium.

Shop owner paid $XXX for the rifle, but what will it cost him to replace that rifle once he sales it?

Raising price to meet current demand also keeps rifles in the rack a little longer for those that really need a new rifle. Let's say he sales all his rifles at $XXX plus his normal 20% OH&P. All rifles are gone in two days and he can't replace them, at least he can't replace them for what he sold the others for. Also, you know some jack-ass will pick up every $700 M&P from him and they'll be on gun broker the next day for $1,100.

It's not exactly 'free-market' because prices are being driven by fear of our benevolent .Gov, but it's the best method we have. At least we're not hauling wheelbarrows full of dollars to buy a loaf of bread...yet...

Not to be overly morbid, but disaster profiteering would be more like locally raising prices on child sized coffins, funeral plots and flowers.

Gun dealers are making a profit on the panic caused by our "leaders" clamoring to end the sale of their product. Of course they're going to raise prices. You can think of it as a huge change in the demand with no supply change, or you can just think of it as insurance. They make a little more money this quarter because they're possibly going to be out of business next quarter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
WHY? Basically because profits are being made on the deceased souls of 20 children!! the adult deaths are sad too I know, but it's the 20 kids that yank our hearts. </div></div>

Yeah.... we're not on the same page.

A) The 'why' isn't the CT School shooting and it is this mentality that is part of the problem. 'Why' has been going on for about 5 decades - it's part of a greater plan. It sucks that the vast majority of folks haven't clued in yet. Related to that big picture - note the topics of the Bank of International Settlements, Centrals Banks and Agenda 21.

B) Failure to plan is a plan in and of itself. Changing plans mid stream is often difficult and expensive. Those who failed to note elements of the big picture and learn from the '94 ban - tough shit, life can be hard and expensive.

On that note I am very definitely wondering what the local market will bear for a homebrew, FTF transaction AR15.

This is merely a lesson for other matters in the future. Everyone has some FOOD at home right?

Good luck

ahh another example of the famed "Crab Pot Theory"....

ever seen crabs in a pot coming to a boil..they will pull the ones escaping back into the water with them out of fear"

You guys crying abot people like me making money...tough shit bro. I had skin he game before you ever had an interest in firearms..and now its my turn to make something for it...I suppose you pitch a fit when the guy who bought gas yesterday got it 10 cents cheaper than you two days later? Suck it up..reach down the front of your pants and grab your balls....
clawz'

Those who are only hind-sighted,... should pay for being stupid. Same goes for every other survival item.
What was that Boy Scout motto?

Not to worry,... all you want will be laying in the streets, awaiting your pickup. Most of the last round of gun/ammo buyers probably have less than 3-5 days food and no tactical experience anyway.

What do you expect them to do next month when they are all out of inventory and can't restock? They've got to make enough to eat until they restock. Who knows when that will be. I'd have the highest prices around if it were me.

What happened is extraordinarily tragic but, its not a disaster. Hurricane Sandy was a disaster. And if there were people spiking prices on fresh water and food I would be pissed, too. But, thats not what is occurring. AR's, Pmags, etc., are not necessities, they are toys for most of us. If folks feel they suddenly need a new "toy" purely out of fear, well thats their issue.

nothing wrong with selling things for MSRP. the only reason why you dont sell them for msrp is because supply is higher than demand. Now demand is higher than supply.

Now..you can have a discussion about pricing over MSRP

Welcome to Capitalism and a Free Market people... It's amazing with all the bitching about the economic downturn and small businesses losing out to bigger business that people whine when a small business is able to take advantage of Supply & Demand to turn a profit. Get the fuck over it and if you don't want to pay it then go buy somewhere else if you can find it.

Unfortunately that's the lay of the land when things like this happen. But as long as people keep paying the prices, people will keep raising them.

It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways. You want a true open market then let vendors determine how much OR HOW LITTLE profit they will make on selling a manufacturer's product. Do that and I'll support the "over msrp" clause, but until then life, at times is unfair and unjust, and "that" fact doesn't give anyone the right the change the rules midstream because of a crisis in your chosen industry.

These people who are selling the rifles and ammo do so with the understanding that they can't get any more. What they sell most likely can never be replaced.

Poor planning seems to make for proper whining on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways.</div></div>

They're free to not enter into such an agreement. They're free to deal with a different manufacturer. They're free to sell at whatever price and deal with the consequences.

You sound like a guy who bought a house with restrictive covenants and now you're pissed you can't paint it chartreuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onedayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways. You want a true open market then let vendors determine how much OR HOW LITTLE profit they will make on selling a manufacturer's product. Do that and I'll support the "over msrp" clause, but until then life, at times is unfair and unjust, and "that" fact doesn't give anyone the right the change the rules midstream because of a crisis in your chosen industry. </div></div>

You are mistaken. Or your ox has been gored.

In either event, the ability of a Manufacturer to exert influence over the wholesalers, retailers and distributors of their wares is well established and is entirely in keeping with the economic analysis that is fundamental to business preservation of many industries.

Narrowing the errors in projections necessary for any element of maintaining a going concern is considered sound in this free market economy of ours, or what remains of it.

It is hardly a new concept nor is it one that most of us would not take advantage of if our product or service were suited for it.

Central Fire Arms in Tampa has not jacked prices on anything. They are largely depleted of merchandise and make no promises about what the future holds regarding the merchandise that has been ordered to restock the displays.

I am not affiliated with them in any way other than as a long standing customer but I can say they are good folks and have been for a very long time.

In my accounting classes, (Management Accounting) I learned you base you prices, not on what they cost, but base on the cost of replacing the inventory.

I also know if you live in snow country, you don't wait until there is 3 foot of snow in your driveway to buy a snow shovel.

We all saw this coming, if we procrastinated, then we deserve to pay higher prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onedayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways. You want a true open market then let vendors determine how much OR HOW LITTLE profit they will make on selling a manufacturer's product. Do that and I'll support the "over msrp" clause, but until then life, at times is unfair and unjust, and "that" fact doesn't give anyone the right the change the rules midstream because of a crisis in your chosen industry. </div></div>

In either event, the ability of a Manufacturer to exert influence over the wholesalers, retailers and distributors of their wares is well established and is entirely in keeping with the economic analysis that is fundamental to business preservation of many industries.

Narrowing the errors in projections necessary for any element of maintaining a going concern is considered sound in this free market economy of ours, or what remains of it.

It is hardly a new concept nor is it one that most of us would not take advantage of if our product or service were suited for it.

Central Fire Arms in Tampa has not jacked prices on anything. They are largely depleted of merchandise and make no promises about what the future holds regarding the merchandise that has been ordered to restock the displays.

I am not affiliated with them in any way other than as a long standing customer but I can say they are good folks and have been for a very long time. </div></div>

Again, fine with me, I can and have lived with it. My comment was stated within the context of selling "over" msrp - WAY over. Your argument is based on preservation of an industry for all to benefit. The issue of no limits being applied on the other end by allowing any mark-up OVER msrp is not related to the point and it clearly doesnt fit your position. All I am saying is that if we accept the front end restriction for the good of the field, then there needs to be "sacrifice" and equality/fairness in situations such as are occurring now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways.</div></div>

They're free to not enter into such an agreement. They're free to deal with a different manufacturer. They're free to sell at whatever price and deal with the consequences.

You sound like a guy who bought a house with restrictive covenants and now you're pissed you can't paint it chartreuse. </div></div>

This isnt about "them" its about "us"...

There is a run on certain guns and other related items. Due to the threat of an impending ban, you can bet your ass that despite the gaping hole in the supply chain, not a single vendor will spent a cent on additional investments to expand capacity because if the ban materializes, they will lost it all. So they will run what they have at 100% either until the ban is implemented, or until it doesn't and they can catch up.

Either way, supply will NOT catch up with demand in the short term.

I've heard more than one LGS employee lament that they may end up being laid off in the near future because their employer will not have enough left to sell to keep them in the store. So I can understand them jacking prices to make up for inventory that cannot be replaced in the near future.

I'd long put off buying an AR but read the tea leaves just quick enough on this one to get to my LGS before they ran out (which happened while I was still there). I paid a little extra for the mags I ordered. I don't blame the vendors. Brownell's sold 3.5 years' worth of mags in 72 hours; how long do you think it will take them to catch up?

Glock - you sound like the type of dude who did ot have anything to sell. Another "internet price policeman" who wants to let everybody know he doesn't like when people make money....

The old crabman here is quick to jump on a deal when its good buy. I am just as quick to dump my shit when the opportunity to make some cash exists. I have done very well over the last 7 days because of this panic...every buyer was some idiot who believed in the theory that I was selling too low! In reselling thats all you gota do..."catch a dreamer"..somebody who thinks he is smarter han you and wil turn a dime on your failure to recognize the potential. I know many an instance I have laid down cash because I felt it was a deal...only later to enjoy the salty taste of failure as I found it cheaper.
People getting freaked out over the POSSIBILITY of fuure legislation is not a disaster..and I met qite a few eople over the last week who ould have been better served to by grocers or xmas gifts then to piss money away on overpriced receivers and mags. Keep in mind about half of the gun community is made up of true enthusiasts..the other half is just speculators and as leglsiation comes into the picture those speculators will exit and the true enthusiasts will make due in any way shape or form.
I'll be here...I prepared early...I bought a generator when they called for a hurricane - I didnt stand in the store and bitch because the price went up $50.

Sell whatever you want for how ever much you want. I support it. Doesn't mean you're not an asshole though. I vote with my money. I support you price gougers in so far as your rights are concerned, but you can still eat a bowl of dog shit. Merry Christmas!

Anyone of you can go out and get your Federal Fire Arms License, open up a shop, pay rent on a store front, hire employee's, pay HIGH INSURANCE RATES because your in the firearms industry and spend $50,000 to $1,000,000 to put minimal very minimal stock on your self's. 20 Ar15's on a wall is $20,000-$30,000 + in inventory. Next time your in your local gun shop look around at his or her inventory and count each firearm at $1000 each. Seem simple then stop bitching here is the ATF's link get your FFL.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

Next time there is a hurricane make sure you start a post how a sheet of plywood went from $8.99 at Home Depot to $29.99 over night.. And how generators the day before that where $499 are now $1499.. You don't like it, open up you own hardware store.. Funny how you guys can all say your an ASSHOLE, Go eat shit, but as soon as you need something for your house you march your ass right back into Home Depot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S&J Refinishing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone of you can go out and get your Federal Fire Arms License, open up a shop, pay rent on a store front, hire employee's, pay HIGH INSURANCE RATES because your in the firearms industry and spend $50,000 to $1,000,000 to put minimal very minimal stock on your self's. 20 Ar15's on a wall is $20,000-$30,000 + in inventory. Next time your in your local gun shop look around at his or her inventory and count each firearm at $1000 each. Seem simple then stop bitching here is the ATF's link get your FFL.

Next time there is a hurricane make sure you start a post how a sheet of plywood went from $8.99 at Home Depot to $29.99 over night.. And how generators the day before that where $499 are now $1499.. You don't like it, open up you own hardware store.. Funny how you guys can all say your an ASSHOLE, Go eat shit, but as soon as you need something for your house you march your ass right back into Home Depot. </div></div>

All of the shit you mentioned has exactly dick to do with the consumer. High insurance rates, taxes, personal business management, regulations.... not a damn thing to do with the consumer. I'm a business owner too, mind you. Why do you need us to like you? Tell us to fuck off and make bank on the ones willing to pay your prices. Free markets. Love em.

And you're right. Most behave exactly as you described. It is what it is.

Better Idea,
Buy a VMC and get an FFL and as much aluminum billet as you can buy. Pay someone $20 an hour to run it and you could print money.

I just went up Brownell's web site, they haven't jacked up prices, and still are showing high cap mags for sale, 23Dec2012, 20:00 cst.
Screwing customers in the "short run" never helps "long term" business. The problem is, many buyers will go right back to the "money changers" and spend their money, now and when this panic is over, I won't be one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onedayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways.</div></div>

You sound like a guy who bought a house with restrictive covenants and now you're pissed you can't paint it chartreuse. </div></div>

This isnt about "them" its about "us"... </div></div>

There is no us without them. Takes both to make the free market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJMOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S&J Refinishing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone of you can go out and get your Federal Fire Arms License, open up a shop, pay rent on a store front, hire employee's, pay HIGH INSURANCE RATES because your in the firearms industry and spend $50,000 to $1,000,000 to put minimal very minimal stock on your self's. 20 Ar15's on a wall is $20,000-$30,000 + in inventory. Next time your in your local gun shop look around at his or her inventory and count each firearm at $1000 each. Seem simple then stop bitching here is the ATF's link get your FFL.

Next time there is a hurricane make sure you start a post how a sheet of plywood went from $8.99 at Home Depot to $29.99 over night.. And how generators the day before that where $499 are now $1499.. You don't like it, open up you own hardware store.. Funny how you guys can all say your an ASSHOLE, Go eat shit, but as soon as you need something for your house you march your ass right back into Home Depot. </div></div>

All of the shit you mentioned has exactly dick to do with the consumer. High insurance rates, taxes, personal business management, regulations.... not a damn thing to do with the consumer. I'm a business owner too, mind you. Why do you need us to like you? Tell us to fuck off and make bank on the ones willing to pay your prices. Free markets. Love em.

And you're right. Most behave exactly as you described. It is what it is. </div></div>

SJ,
I remember you bashing a gun company awhile back, a class 3 dealer if I remember. I came to the conclusion you're a tool.
The bulk of us would love to be gun store owners, be it capital , fear, saturated market already, we're not, so be it. We support business's we trust.
I agree Home Depot might jack their prices in a disaster, thing is most of us will pay it to restore our homes to what is was. Because a home is a neccesity, pure and simple.

For most of us, gun related purchases are a luxury and refuse to pay inflated prices, and we remember who tried to gouge us.

On 9-11, after working a 12 hour shift, I drove through town to buy booze, needed it. I noticed one certain gas mart company, who had two stores in town, selling gas at $1.20 over the rest of the stores. First time I ever saw $3.00 gas, I made a mental note to self, don't patronize these assholes. It's been 12 full years, haven't been in one since.
Carry on.

Also, I'm with KJMOC, gougers, you can eat a full bowl of dogshit for dessert, right after you eat your heaping plate of stupid.

WOW...some colorful commentary going on. But, I put the question out there to have others enlighten me. THANK YOU!

The points I hadn't really thought through:

1) Paying for the new batch after the current batch is gone and/or to make up for inventory that won't be on the shelves. I get it, and it makes sense. The store I work at is mostly pistols, and then rifles/"tactical" shotguns would be second. I guess I had myself blinded with my own love(pistols) and not thinking about lack of in-stock rifles to sell.

2) Unfortunately with 98% of people jacking up their prices, if the store doesn't do it, John Q Gunbuyer will buy the product and sell it for profit.

3) Disaster/tragedy - semantics to me. No, I've never lived through anything more than large snowfalls. (yeah, all you CO and NY people are gonna say I don't know shit about that too I reckon.) I'm not going to get wrapped up in whatever one wants to call incidents like Aurora, Sandy Hook, VA Tech. In short, they're extremely hearbreaking.

4) If someone puts a product out for price "x" and someone wants to pay 3x more than asking price, then I don't really fault the seller. The seller was just at right place at right time. But like I stated above, I just don't have to like the times. I don't have to like the answers, I don't have to like where this is taking the firearms industry and what it will do for enthusiasts and sportsmen. But I get it. That's the reason I posed the question to you all.

It's so funny the people that go off and spew things having NO IDEA who I am, what I do, what my background is. Makes me laugh. Oh well, to each their own.

Again, thanks all for your responses! I figured I wasn't seeing all the angles. Have a safe holiday with your family!

-G45

MILO-2
I got your tool right here. And mine is bigger than yours!!
IMAG1668_zpsc42813d9.jpg

http://s1105.beta.photobucket.com/user/wackendogs/media/sawvid1_zps27352d41.mp4.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onedayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onedayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a "free market" when manufacturers restrict the vendor's selling price to the consumer with threat of loss of franchise rights. You can't have it both ways. You want a true open market then let vendors determine how much OR HOW LITTLE profit they will make on selling a manufacturer's product. Do that and I'll support the "over msrp" clause, but until then life, at times is unfair and unjust, and "that" fact doesn't give anyone the right the change the rules midstream because of a crisis in your chosen industry. </div></div>

I am not affiliated with them in any way other than as a long standing customer but I can say they are good folks and have been for a very long time. </div></div>

Again, fine with me, I can and have lived with it. My comment was stated within the context of selling "over" msrp - WAY over. Your argument is based on preservation of an industry for all to benefit. The issue of no limits being applied on the other end by allowing any mark-up OVER msrp is not related to the point and it clearly doesnt fit your position. All I am saying is that if we accept the front end restriction for the good of the field, then there needs to be "sacrifice" and equality/fairness in situations such as are occurring now. </div></div>

Let's take two examples based on the two scenarios posted above: Pending legislative revocation and a hurricane/disaster situation.

In the former, the uncertainty fuels the run on inventory and chaos ensues because in addition to the inventory of FFL vendors, the rifles, magazines, and related items in private ownership, become price inelastic: the price continues to rise yet the demand does not abate! The reasons driving this go beyond economics though as there is a very real fear that these items will be banned. Thus, the rules or ethics regarding what some call gouging are in reality off the table. For businesses like the one I refer to, Central Firearms in Tampa, rifles aren't their main line of business. They are primarily a police supply company and they will continue to operate after any new legislation affecting private citizens, though certainly there will be some diminution of their volume.

Private sellers right now are hard pressed to resist the urge to sell their rifles and high cap mags to those who are willing to pay previously un-imagined sums for them. We don't want to be stuck with something we could have sold before a ban that would have them confiscated or turned in for nothing! In these illustrations of case one, all the rules are changed: It isn't merely about economics or long term relations with consumers. The livelihoods of some FFLs and the very dear loss of serious money (During a very long recession BTW!) for private owners is prominent in their (our) minds.

I know I am going to have serious regrets hanging on to my own rifles and mags if I have to turn them in rather than having sold them when the opportunity presented itself.

I choose to keep them because I want them and enjoy them!
laugh.gif
But that love may turn out to have been unwise...

As to the disaster scenario, I don't believe the line is crossed at simple price increases as the costs in fuel, O.T., insurance and general logistics goes up when a disaster is looming or in its wake. When gouging begins is sometimes clear however and like the supreme court justice once ruled about pornography, I know it when I see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turn them in. Thats funny.
</div></div>

Hoping we can both laugh at that absurd and hopefully extremely remote, probability.

How about if I wrote, "I may regret not selling them at a nice profit rather than having them taken from me after my doors were kicked in, flashbangs exploded, my dogs were shot, my family humiliated on Action News and those who took them hailed as child saving heroes"?

Better conveyance of the keep or buy conundrum?

Merry Christmas KY!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turn them in. Thats funny.</div></div>
Too bad I sold all of them during the big scare. No, I don't have the purchasers contact info; he was a black guy, think his last name was Holder... All but one; lost it frog gigging just yesterday.
smile.gif

There was a comment about business concerns not having anything to do with the customer. Just keep in mind that come the end of Jan, Feb, ..., the shop's lease payment, insurance and payroll will still be due, whether they have inventory to sell or not.