• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disigning.308 winchester high bc low drag bullets

The Spirit

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2021
everywhere
Hello people, How are you?

I'm Chilean and I live here, and I have plans to go US for a long time in the future.

Well, here we have.308win or may be 6.5creedmor, nothing more in rifle ammo. I prefer .308, because barrels long last more, much more. Change barrel in chile it's a pain in the arse, you can do it, but you have to pay the shipping+ taxes + another taxes for inspection and give explanations to authorities why you need a new barrel and that has to match with what you say, for example, my barrel has wear out as a reason, the army it's going to take your rifle and to inspect the throat of the barrel, if you lie, you are fucked up(it is said that you enter in a banned list, like something "hey this is suspicious, this guy told us to bring a barrel here and the reason was fake, Why he did that?, put this guy in the radar", but it is a rumor, there is no proof about that in years), if it's true, you have green light.

So, I plan to purchase a rifle in the future, in 308, but i don't like the BC of the 308 that's in the market, so, I'm designing bullets to get something better. That's why I'm doing this, because I like design things and for exposed reasons above.

I did the first calculations, and i get a bullet of 159.3 gr a G7 0.452 BC at 2.5 mach=2791.125 FPS, twist rate of 9.8, COAL MAGAZINE 2.9" (maximum size that i have found for magazine SR25 pattern, that's the condition)

As a second attempt, i saw that the center of gravity was near to nose and i reduced the length of the nose and i got 158.4 gr, a BC of .4495 in G7, at 2.5 mach=2791.125 FPS, twist rate of 9.8, COAL MAGAZINE 2.9"(maximum size that i have found for magazine SR25 pattern, that's the condition)

i used only cooper at 59F, 1 atmosphere, and 50% humidity, which mean a density of copper of 8,962151176 grams/cubic centimeters
I don't know if the bullets can be patented or something, but It doesn't match me why nobody does the bullets of warner tool apart of them, because they are the best in the market. So, if this is true, well, I don't want to keep this in secret i would patent this as a free content.

So, i want to give you the dimensions of the bullets but I don't know if someone can stole my work and patent it. I would like to reveal here the measurements to get a feedback.

other thing, how much length of the bullet goes inside the brass to measure the volume available for powder?

Are you planning to shoot long distances?

The best BC in the world won't matter if the velocity isn't there to take advantage of it. So when you decide to purchase your rifle I would choose one with the longest barrel that is practical... 24 inches minimum. Longer than that won't hurt, 26 or 28 would be better... Unless you're planning to hunt with it.

I would also recommend a 10 inch twist, 9 twist wouldn't be bad either. But 10 twist will likely cover you just fine unless you're wanting to shoot the heavier/high BC bullets.

How difficult is it for you to order and import bullets?

Mike

Are you planning to shoot long distances?

The best BC in the world won't matter if the velocity isn't there to take advantage of it. So when you decide to purchase your rifle I would choose one with the longest barrel that is practical... 24 inches minimum. Longer than that won't hurt, 26 or 28 would be better... Unless you're planning to hunt with it.

I would also recommend a 10 inch twist, 9 twist wouldn't be bad either. But 10 twist will likely cover you just fine unless you're wanting to shoot the heavier/high BC bullets.

How difficult is it for you to order and import bullets?

Mike
Hi mike, How are you?
Yes, at long range. But i would like to compete some day in tactical rifle shooting like in this page https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/, but as amateur because I'm electrical engineer, and as like one, i like rifle shooting because of physics, aerodynamics etc, it's not just pull the trigger. May be 9 in rifle twist and 26", if i choose 26" i would like to reach 2800 fps with the minimum amount of powder or the exact amount of powder to maximize accuracy.

The rifle chosen it's the deceased ritter and stark brand, may be i will do a inverse engineering to build spare parts, the problem that comes in 1:11, so i will have to talk to a barrel maker to get it in 9 o 10 twist and polygonal rifling and maybe carbon fiber wrap.
Import bullets it's like anything but with the agreement of both nations.

Last edited:
ITAR laws may make this conversation entirely academic. There's a decent chance that no American manufacturer can export their bullets.

Mike

I know manufacturers can export... But the OP can't order directly from you, correct?

Mike
Screenshot_20230214-071350.png

I know manufacturers can export... But the OP can't order directly from you, correct?

Mike
View attachment 8075132
They can order direct,but an ex and imp license is required at both ends. Open ended qty's to importers that cover more than a years amount
Actually shipped on one license makes the most sense. Cost for license is the same per year regardless of quantity.

Reactions: OkieMike
We have been exporting our bullets for several years now. And as Alan stated, export licensing is required on our end and import permits are usually required on the other depending upon regulations of the country of import. Small quantities, while doable, become expensive due to the costs witch are the same as they are for larger quantities. There are other companies, such as Reloading International, that will assist with the export of small quantities, but the costs are certainly still higher. If there is significant interest in an area where we have no direct importers already, we are happy to help set that up.