• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Dissecting "Magnetic" Ball Ammo

mosquitoshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
So I have a bunch of pulled 50 caliber surplus ball ammo that I have been shooting through my AR50. I have friends who say that its "hard on my barrel". Although its not accurate, i do enjoy plinking with it. They claim that because its magnetic there are steel properties in the bullet that grind down the lands in my rifle. After arguing with them and stating that the bullets are "magnetic" because of the core that never touches the lands i decided to prove it. An easy way of proving it was to take my reciprocating saw with the appropriate blade and within 3 minutes i had proof. The picture is attached in case you folks ever wonder about your other "magnetic" surplus ammo. The core sure as heck is magnetic and as hard as a college kid in a stripclub. But, the thick jacket doesnt attract the magnet and Thus, should do no harm to the barrel. With that being said, I do "size" pulled bullets in case the pulling process deforms them. I can imagine a deformed bullet WOULD harm the barrel.:)

I have seen questions about this topic a couple times so i thought i would post my little experiment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 13
Nice work. Be careful generalizing, though. A lot of the overseas surplus and production ammo is steel jacket, lead core. This includes pretty much all steel cased ammunition, as well as some brass cased ammunition. US surplus, if magnetic such as M855, is copper jacket, steel core. Steel jacket will prematurely wear your barrel, while steel core/copper jacket is a non-issue.

Nice work. Be careful generalizing, though. A lot of the overseas surplus and production ammo is steel jacket, lead core. This includes pretty much all steel cased ammunition, as well as some brass cased ammunition. US surplus, if magnetic such as M855, is copper jacket, steel core. Steel jacket will prematurely wear your barrel, while steel core/copper jacket is a non-issue.

Great feedback Temp9. It is good that folks know this considering the coin some of us drop on their beloved rifles.