• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dissecting Old Reloads

whatsupdoc

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 12, 2017
    I found some old 30-06 reloads loaded by me a long time ago and decided to dissect them to see the condition of things and the accuracy of the equipment I used at the time. Had very little equipment then unlike now.

All charges were thrown with a Ohaus 1010 scale. Cases were done using RCBS FL dies on a RCBS Rockchucker jr press.

Using a kinetic bullet puller the bullets came out easily showing no signs of "welding" to the case neck.
    I measured each powder charge on my FX-300 scale and it seems that although it was .2 less than my intended charge weight the repeatability is outstanding. Great scale, still have for when the lights go out.

The bases of all the 180gr SMK bullets had small amounts of corrosion/discoloration. This appears to be caused by the powder H4831 pushing against the base of the bullets as these were compressed charge loads. The H4831 back then was made in Scotland, not that it matters but appears to be just fine.

Checked the case shoulders and they were all bumped within .001 of each other using the old school setup shellholder contacting the die, press cammed over.

IMAG2706.jpg
    IMAG2705.jpg

I still use a 1970's vintage Ohaus 1010 scale. It is decidedly old school, but then so am I. It has served me well.

Can't add much other than I would have shot them, good work there when back to basics.
    Actually still the same as I do it today. FM

Reactions: SporterII